Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

no spark

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-1999, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a yamaha breeze that I bought for my boy. I don't have any spark. I'm pretty sure that the problem is in the magneto? I haven't taken the side cover of to look but was wondering if anybody has any information or advice about what I should look for in the magneto. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-27-1999, 01:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Buy a shop manual first, it'll be worth your money. Why do you think it's the mag? They are usually reliable. You can test it with a multi-meter. More than likely you have a break, short, or ground in the ignition system.

Hope that this helps, if not I'll get alot more specific, just post a reply.

Old 09-27-1999, 12:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Blaster, I'm not sure if it the magneto but thought that it is a good place to start. Another thing I'm concerned about is that I have no headlight or taillight. There is voltage coming into the voltage rectifier, but nothing coming out. This is what feeds the headlight and taillight. I was told the lights probably won't come on until the machine is running. Because of that reasoning I thought the magneto was supplying the rectifier with any AC. I'm not sure what to try. Possibly my CDI box is bad. I hope not because I heard they are expensive. I did buy
a manual for this atv for 20$ from CYCLE WORLD. This manual is worthless. I do have a good manual on my dads 85 YFM 225. This is what I have been referring to for most of my trouble shooting. Unfortunatly his lights come on with out the motor running. I was going to post on the tech, connection but there are over 600 messages back logged. Any more advice on my Yamaha breeze would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-28-1999, 12:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

If yours looks different, like 3 wires to coil plus plug wire, tell me, I can do that also.

Old 09-28-1999, 01:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Blaster, Hope I'm not taking up to much of your time on this.
There is a orange wire that comes out of the CDI box and connects to coil. I no this is suppose to be the Hot wire but I get no DC from it at all. The only other wire to the coil is a black which gets grounded to the frame and fastens the coil. I just bought a new coil and sparkplug cap and plug so I know they sould be good.I am concerned why I am not getting any voltage to the CDI box. I'm wondering if my voltage rectifier could be bad. I have got voltage going into it (voltage rectifier) but nothing coming out. One of the wires coming out is a yellow and red stripe and should feed +DC to the headlights and taillights. If I put 12v to this yellow and red stripe wire my lights work fine. I thought seeing some of the wires that come from the magneto go into the rectifier maybe this triggers the power to my lights but then again I thought the rectifier was just for converting AC to DC. If only I had a wiring diagram. I did post a message to see if anybody had a manual with a wiring diagram for this machine. How can I check to make sure the CDI is ok? Thanks for your help.

P.S This breeze does have a 12v battery I just bought that also.

Old 09-28-1999, 08:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

kyler, I apologize, in my last response I made several errors, it was late. The orange wire to the coil will be a low-tension lead of ac from the mag to the coil.

more when I have time

The rectifier does only convert ac to dc and hold it to a max voltage dc(about 14 volts).

[This message has been edited by fastblast (edited 09-28-1999).]

Old 09-28-1999, 11:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I sincerely apologize, I've made this much harder than necessary, let me start over, like I should have done at first.

The bike does not start.Do the lights work with it off, do they work off just the battery, assuming they did before any problems. I know they work when you jump current into the middle of the circuit. How many wires of the magneto, 3 or 4?

There should be 4, one for the coil charge, one to "pulse" the coil (make it fire), one for the lights,and a ground I believe.

For a blaster they are white/red for coil pulser pickup,Yellow/red for lighting coil,and blue or black red for the source coil. resistances are 240ohm for source,20 ohm for pulser, and .2 for lighting I believe.(figs and color codes are for blaster, they give you a referenc,I'll try to get your figures tommorow,along with your color codes)

[This message has been edited by fastblast (edited 09-28-1999).]

Old 09-29-1999, 01:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Blaster,
I appreciate all help, but after working on it again this morning I gave up and took it to a new yamaha dealer here in MN. He checked it over and found that 2 coils in the magneto assembly were fried. He told me that it could have happened from the oil getting to hot. Parts to fix this is $203.00 and 2hrs labor at $50 per/hr. Seems expensive but if it will run I said go for it. I'll let you know what the finall outcome is. Thanks again for your help.

Old 09-30-1999, 12:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

that's what I was telling you how to test in my last post.oh well.