Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Can a Blaster beat a Warrior OR a 250ex OR a 300ex?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 03:32 PM
SKT
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fair enough... why do you think it is that manufactures only put clutches/chains on the high performance machines... my ultimate trail ride would have 35+ hp, 400EX suspension, shaft drive, and auto clutch... what's your opinion...

Also... I think if the trail doesn't allow for more than 30 mph or so that the 250EX could stay w/ anything...

Old 10-30-2001, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

Auto-clutches can't handle very much power put through them. With a manual clutch, you are able to control exaclty how much power you get to the wheels and when. By slipping the clutch you are actaully multiplying the torque of the motor (similar to a torque converter in a car) and can have very precise control over your machine and wheel spin.

Also... I think if the trail doesn't allow for more than 30 mph or so that the 250EX could stay w/ anything...
See this is where your wrong, just because parts of a trail might limit your overall speed to 30mph your not taking into account that a faster machine (like a Raptor) will out accelerate you badly to every turn or technical section not to mention that in the same distance I might be able to reach 50 before I had to slow down. Thats why you need excellent brakes or power doesn't do you any good. The suspension also plays a key role, your 250ex just can't soak up the hits like a better suspended bike.
No hard feelings, I'm not trying to get you to like your bike any less than you obviously do (and I'm sure it's a tight little machine), it's just that you need to understand that there are better machines out there that you might wanna try someday.

Old 10-30-2001, 05:02 PM
SKT
Trailblazer

I've owned and ridden many street bikes(CB900, VFR1000 Interceptor, ZX7, CBR1000F), dirt bikes (KDX200, IT175, KLR650), and atv's (Polaris, 200SX, QuadRacer, 250R, 300 4X4, Warrior, 250EX) since 1983...

I'm not sure about the auto clutch not being able to handle a lot of power... most of the huge/heavy/powerful(torque) 4X4's have auto clutches...

I have to disagree w/ the acceleration comment... you can only accelerate as good as you can get your tires to hook-up... I suspect w/ the Raptor you have some serious tire spin... I'd bet from zero to 30 on loose (trail like) dirt the 250EX wouldn't be that far behind a Raptor... also the 250EX has excellent brakes and weighs less... therefore should be able to late brake the Raptor...

If we were to race on pavement or real good hard-pack clay... you'd smoke me...

I'd probably love riding the Raptor on an MX track or fire road...

One last thing... If you could have an auto clutch w/ the Raptor... would you?

Old 10-30-2001, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

If we were talking about my Banshee, you would have a point about not hooking up, after all the Shee is all top end no low end.
The Raptor has no problem hooking up and moving, the stock tires are weak in the sidewalls but damn do they bite. Lets put it this way, when I can lift the front end up in nearly any condition you know I am getting my power down. In a race you would be destroyed in ANY circumstances period, there are absolutely no conditions that exist that would favor the 250ex over a Raptor unless there is a engine displacement limit or an age limit.
No I would under no circumstances prefer an Auto-Clutch in my Raptor, I would sooner have a belt tranny.

Old 10-30-2001, 09:40 PM
SKT
Trailblazer

Well... if your ever in Greenville SC w/ your Raptor... let me know... we'll go find out how wrong I am... :-)

Thanx for the discussion...

Old 10-30-2001, 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have to say blaster i have both a blaster and a warrior i just got the blaster havent been able to check speeds or timed runs since the warrior has a bent swingarm but it definatly feel to me that the blaster is faster and if its not it makes up for its speed in wait u can throw it around so much the blaster is my dads and i have decided to sell my warrior and get a blaster

Old 10-31-2001, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

Why does it have to be my Raptor that shows you how wrong you are? I'm sure that a rider with half my skill on a number of machines could easily walk away from you on that 250 in any conditions. Quit riding by yourself and you will see I am right [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Are you really 240 pounds and 6 feet like me? I saw that you were in another thread and was wondering because I saw a 250ex at the dealership awhile back and can't figure out how a guy your size feels comfortable riding something that small. Geeze dude, I figured you were some tiny dude like 5 feet 140 lbs so I could understand how a 250ex felt fast enough and well suspended. Sheesh I'm looking into a DS because my Raptor feels "smallish" to me. How do you pull it off? And you seriously walked into a dealership and purchased that bike for you to ride, it wasn't for your kids or anything? I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be a smart *** here but I cannot for the life of me imagine buying one of those for me to ride. A 300ex would at least do in a pinch, but even those are way too small for my liking.

Old 10-31-2001, 10:23 AM
SKT
Trailblazer

I fit on it very well... (I'm 6'4" and weigh 250) the 250EX is the same size as a 300 or 400EX... I recently rode up Mt. Mitchell in North Carolina... we rode 40+ miles per day... I was very comfortable... BTW... I was w/ 10 other guys who were all on bigger machines... they couldn't believe how well the 250EX ran in the trails... I was out front the entire time...

You should try one... in the trails... I bet you'd have fun... it only weighs 350 lbs... you can really throw it around...

The motor is very strong... pulls well through 4th... I haven't ridden any trails where I can get it into 5th...

I've been riding for a long time and have tried a lot of different rides... in my opinion a clutch/chain setup on a trail is a pain... if I had really wide open spaces (Utah/Arizona/etc. or lots of MX)... I'd probably ride a Raptor or the DS650... for the trail riding I do... I think the 250EX is the best setup...

Until Honda comes out w/ a 500EX w/ shaft/autoclutch... I'll stick w/ the 250EX...

Old 11-01-2001, 03:31 AM
Pro Rider

Hey iridewarrior, Ive ridden my Blaster right after the Warrior and I'll be the first to admit the Blaster makes it feel like a tank in comparison. It definitely "feels" faster and quicker. However it is not faster OR quicker than the Warrior. I imagine it's the size or the way the 2 stroke power comes on that gives it that feel. When drag racing the two the Warrior is always quite a bit out front. The only time my Blaster has won the drags with the Warrior is when I got a really lousy start. They arent all that far apart and compliment each other nicely. I do feel the Blaster needs a longer swingarm. On trails it sometimes sits down in the ruts and rocks when a couple more inches in length would keep 2 wheels out.

Any other Oregon or SW Washington riders out there gettin ready to ride in the snow?

Old 07-30-2003, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Can a Blaster beat a Warrior OR a 250ex OR a 300ex?

overall the 300ex is the best(stock vs stock)(if all are good riders than the 300ex will beat all thouse on the track).
Top Speed:Warrior, 300ex, Blaster, 250ex, I put a GPS on my 300ex(stock) and got it maxed at 57 on a open road.
Ive dragged a few blasters(all where about same skill level as me in riding), and i beat them all, most of the time. I dragged a Warrior, and lost, but beat them all on the tracks.

Quick Reply: Can a Blaster beat a Warrior OR a 250ex OR a 300ex?