Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which machine is best?and why

Old 10-19-1999, 09:37 PM
Trailblazer

Grizzly for one huge reason reliability

------------------
99 Grizzly , Vamped & Liffed,Warn 2500 Winch

lumber1@rochester.rr.com, Ride safe today,because to ride again tomorrow is Righteous!!!!

Old 10-19-1999, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer

Grizzly

Old 10-20-1999, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider

Both machines have the same retail price, this is a simple equation...500cc verses 600cc Yamaha workmanship verses (LOL) Polaris. I had the same decision to make, and when I determined that the above is, all I needed to figure, the decision was simple.

Old 10-20-1999, 08:40 AM
Pro Rider

Post this same question in the Polaris forum. I'm sure you will hear different answers. The Sportsman may be a bit trouble prone but I have yet to hear a bad thing about the Magnum. Even the old 425 Magnums.
Don't be fooled by the 100cc difference, Polaris motors are very strong. In fact 4-Wheel ATV action gave the Magnum a better review than the Grizzly in as test. And we all know that magazine hates Polaris'. Plus you get an auto clutch with more tuning potential than the Grizzlys, much better 4X4 system and a motor that is liquid cooled. A 600cc Air cooled motor??? Yama' must have been brain dead that day! If you must have a Yamaha I'd suggest the new Kodiak.

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Old 10-20-1999, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reliability?Dont try for one minute to tell me about the Grizz's reliability record,especially the 98 model Grizz.While the Grizz is 100cc more than the smaller 500cc,the 500cc puts out 32hp,compared to only 30 on the Grizz.The Grizz front end is limited slip,no comparison to the Magnums AWD system in the serious muddy situations.I'd personally rather have the Sportsman or Magnum anyday over the Grizz,Liquid cooled vs air cooled,higher ground clearance,more suspension,and a plusher ride are a few of my reasons for my selection.The Grizz is a very hot running machine to.Good Luck on what ever you choose. BILL

Old 10-20-1999, 02:23 PM
Range Rover

Check out www.dynojet.com for the Truth
about H.P.(a Third party suppiler to both
and a top rated Dyno manufacture), the rags?
well it seems that in the Sept 4-wheel Atv
action Foreman 450s vs Xpedtion 425 shootout
It seems like the Polaris was no better than the Foreman at Mud-Running(That all depends on how much Stock you put in what they say).
Better System sometimes yes and others no,
Straight line Polaris all the way,
If the Run starts getting twisty then I would have to say the Grizz.
H.P. well the 99 Dynojet Product catalog
(pg 15 and 16) has the Grizz @22.5 and the
Magnum 500 @18.5, that is there Quote not mine so if one should disagree tell them, not me.
My only personal observance is when a gentleman sponsered an invite only mud run
on his property, the mud was deep and he made
a tight Serpentine course through it, if you
touched a flag or went out of bounds you lose
HMHMHR(His Mud His Money His Rules A.K.A H3M2R1)Well to shorten the Story, my forementioned observations were proven correct,
I guess some may call me a basher and other's
(i've seen this happen to others who explain H.P. findings
and how Limited-Slip, Locker type actuation
and Traction control each has its strengths and weaknesses only to be insulted by a real
Mensa society can-da-date)will try to degrade
and demean what my words.
to which I say

Great Day
Y2K, the better Quad is in the "Eye of the Beholder"

Old 10-26-1999, 04:17 PM
Range Rover

Interesting footnote:

Paperboy brought over the June 1998 Dirtwheels, the is a "How to ride in Mud"
section in which they head to Louisiana
and meet up with some Hardcore Mud Runners
, looks like them boyz don't read the Rags
by lookin' at the pictures I see more
Grizzlys then anything else( no Sportsman
appear in any of this articles pictures).

What do them Louisiana guys know anyway
after all they just live down there and
swamp running is their Dogma & Creed.

I am not bashing or bad mouthing the Sportsman or Polaris as they are an
excellent company with great products.

But if one says "the rags say this"!
in the case or D/W or 4-wheel,
one can find double speak
and to accept them as a final word
is not always a wise move.

Great luck

[This message has been edited by y2kodiak (edited 10-26-1999).]

Old 10-26-1999, 08:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I owned a Polaris and now own a Grizz 99. Polaris Sportsman is a better suspension. Polaris is better in the mud because real 4wd. Polaris says liquid is better than air cool. Air cool is lighter and never had any problem with overheating.Do you plan to change your bike every year or two. If yes and you want a smoother ride go with the Sportsman. If you want to keep your bike for many years , go with the Grizz. I beleive that Polaris are great the first year or two depending of your driving. On the long term they become very expensive to keep up running . To me peace of mind in the trail worth something, and I wanted to keep my bike for a long time . Even if a Sportsman has to pull me out of a mud hole I would not get back on a Polaris . I love my Grizzly with his strenght and weekneses.

Old 10-26-1999, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I owned a Polaris and now own a Grizz 99. Polaris Sportsman is a better suspension. Polaris is better in the mud because real 4wd. Polaris says liquid is better than air cool. Air cool is lighter and never had any problem with overheating.Do you plan to change your bike every year or two. If yes and you want a smoother ride go with the Sportsman. If you want to keep your bike for many years , go with the Grizz. I beleive that Polaris are great the first year or two depending of your driving. On the long term they become very expensive to keep up running . To me peace of mind in the trail worth something, and I wanted to keep my bike for a long time . Even if a Sportsman has to pull me out of a mud hole I would not get back on a Polaris . I love my Grizzly with his strenght and weekneses.

Quick Reply: 500 Magnum or Grizzly 600?