Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

01 Kodiac cv boot, cv joint wont come off

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2001, 12:03 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to replace the cv boot on my 01 kodiac, it's the front left boot next to the tire also my mechanical skills and terminolgy are very limited, ok I have taken off everything more than I should have I'm sure, I'm down to just the axel and the cv joint it's self, the axel is still attached to the front drive train or what ever it's called, my problem is I cant seem to get the cv joint off the shaft, I have cleand the grease out and I cant see a circle clip or anything that would hold it, however when I pull on it I can get it to move back and forth but I'm scared to pull to hard for fear of pulling the other end out of the drive train, can someone please help? or does anyone have a manuel they can email?

Thank you

Charles
cstotler@bluemarble.net

Old 09-09-2001, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

I had my dealer replace both of my boots on my grizzly and it took him like 4 hours. He's a pretty honest guy and I have heard from lots of people that it is quite a job.
I would recommend getting a manual if you plan on doing the work yourself.

Old 09-09-2001, 09:59 AM
Trailblazer

You have to take the inside joint apart and slide the new boot on from the inside.Remove the inner boot and remove the large snap-ring from the inside of the joint cup.Slide the joint apart,then remove the small snap-ring from the diff end of the shaft and slide the joint off.Then you can slide off the outer boot.

Old 09-09-2001, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

You must be pretty couragous to go at that with you limited expirience and with out the manual.

If you are the one next to the wheel, that's the "outer" CV joint. In order to remove the outer, you must remove the boot on the "inner" CV joint. Then you will find a large cir-clip which, when removed, will let you pull the shaft out. On the end of the shaft you will find a small snap-ring. Remove that and you'll be able to slide the CV joint off of the shaft.

Then you can change the outer boot.

That's why if you ask for an outer cv joint boot repair kit you are given two sets of clamps. Because you must also remove the inner boot.

Old 09-09-2001, 04:09 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you all very much for your help, as I was sitting infront of the all the parts I had a bad feeling that I was going to have to remove the inner Joint, I have no choice now that I am this far, I will post back to give progress.

Thank you

Charles

Old 09-09-2001, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

Did you all ever notice that the jobs you think are going to be quick and easy end up being long and painful? Seems like that everytime I have to tear into any of my quads. lol