Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

winch promo

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-1999, 05:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a new grizzly. I've seen a advertisment about getting a warn winch for 69 dollars. The dealer said he didn't order the bikes with this promo, so it wasn't available. Does this sound like bull or does anyone know the inside scoop on how these promos work?

Old 10-24-1999, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Realistically, "there is no free lunch."

While I don't know the specifics in your dealer's and Yamaha's case regarding the winch promotion, SOMEBODY pays the difference between the "special" winch price and its cost. Usually, a hidden cost is passed on and paid by the customer, although the illusion of a freebie is attractive (only available actually at one outlet, Mother Theresa's ATV Sales).

A bargain winch is a deal sweetener, like a discounted sales price or a, "I'll throw in a free helmet" sales-closer.

Assuming you paid a fair price for your quad, the dealer likely would have to charge more to offer the winch deal or would have to shave some profit; the fact he didn't offer the deal doesn't necessarily mean you're being ripped off. Chances are the dealer is telling the truth about his ordering invoices. Sometimes the manufacturer and the dealer share the extra costs of promotional items.

Finally, there's always the fine print at the bottom: "At PARTICIPATING dealers;" some dealers do not participate.

My suggestion: Enjoy the Grizzly! You could have paid more, you could have paid less. The important thing is you got something you like; don't dissect the corpse of the done deal to the point it spoils your enjoyment of of the result: your Grizz.

Tree Farmer