Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New 4-Wheeler Decision ,, Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2001, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to the forum and have been reading alot about the different 4 wheelers available and what each manufactor has to offer.
I am having a tough time making a decision on what to buy.
My riding will be in the state of MN primarly on the DNR trails.

I will admit I am very limited on what each of the two atv's are like that I have an interest in. On the top of my list are the Raptor and the Wolverine.. I however can not decide which is best for me. I've got alot of experience racing moto-cross around the state in my younger years however my plan now is not to re-start that devotion. I also may use this for accasional hunting.. not sure but thougth of it. 95% of the use will be on state DNR trails riding with friends and just enjoying the sport. So if any of you are familiar with the MN trails could you help shed some light on this decision.

More specifically,
- how limited is the Raptor with ground clearance (ruts,logs,rocks)?
- how much mud can the Raptor get thru without getting stuck?
- how does the Wolverine handle at speed (35-45 mph) in the woods
in comparison to the Raptor?
- Where could I really go with the Wolverine that I couldn't get with
the Raptor?
- How frequent would these conditions present themselves on the MN trails?
- Does the Wolverine really jump that well?
- If I am riding with a DS650, 400EX, 300EX, 250EX will I get smoked and
be waited for all the time on the Wolverine?
- Can the 2 wheel drive sport models run on the lakes in the winter when
snow is low or hard packed? What snow depth limits the Raptor?

Prices I've found so far are
01 Wolverine new at $4799
02 Wolverine new at $4999
01 Raptor new at $6595
02 Raptor new at $6195
(plus tax/license)

Are these good prices and I appreciate your comments in helping me with this decision.

Old 09-11-2001, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

well, i cant really help you out with which one to get, if it were me, id go with the raptor, but i like fast trails and jumping high. So i guess thats up to you, but around here, 2001 and 2002 raptors are just under 6 grand. Something like $5995.00

Old 09-11-2001, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

sorry about the typo..

thats $5695 for the 01 Raptor..

Old 09-12-2001, 12:57 AM
Trailblazer

Is that 5695 out the door for a raptor. Can you please give me the number to get ahold of the store so I can see about a 02 raptor

thanks

Old 09-12-2001, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

here is a copy of the add from the local paper in Minneapolis.
They do have 02 Raptors coming in also for $6195.

YAMAHA ATV'S 2001 Raptor 660 5695 200cc Blaster 2795 2001 Big Bear 400 4395 2001 Bear Tracker 2895 80cc Badger 1999 AHONDA ATV'S 350cc Rancher S 4695 2001 EX250 3395 2002 Rubicon 6495 2002 TRX90 2495 ARCTIC CAT ATV'S 2002 375 Auto 4795 2002 500 Auto 5895 2002 400 4x4 4895 2002 250 4x4 3195 SUZUKI ATV's 80cc Quad Sport 2095 250cc 2x4 Red 3195 500cc Automatic 5195 2002 Models Very Soon ETON ATV 50cc Youth 1299 90cc Small blem 1695 LARSON'S CYCLE Cambridge 763-689-2760 *No Hidden Charges

Old 09-12-2001, 04:00 PM
Range Rover

Lemme give this a shot... I've had a raptor for about a year here in Minnesota.

- how limited is the Raptor with ground clearance (ruts,logs,rocks)?

Logs arn't really a problem, but you have to be aggressive. Same goes for ruts and logs. Even if you have a problem, the raptor is light enough to push over these if needed.

- how much mud can the Raptor get thru without getting stuck?

Let me put it this way. It will go through mud, but not a mud hole. You are going to get dirty, but it's suprising how much it will go through with stock tires.

- how does the Wolverine handle at speed (35-45 mph) in the woods
in comparison to the Raptor?

I can't say. I've never rode a Wolverine.

- Where could I really go with the Wolverine that I couldn't get with
the Raptor?

I can't comment on that, again because of my lack of experience with the Wolverine, but I go trail busting with a bunch of friends that all have Sportsman 500 H.O.'s. I have to work harder to ride though (and over) some of the stuff they do, but basically I can go where they do.

- How frequent would these conditions present themselves on the MN trails?

The MN DNR trails are pretty eaisy. The most you'll run into is some mud, and there is normally a way around it.

- Does the Wolverine really jump that well?

Can't say.

- If I am riding with a DS650, 400EX, 300EX, 250EX will I get smoked and
be waited for all the time on the Wolverine?

Can't say.

- Can the 2 wheel drive sport models run on the lakes in the winter when
snow is low or hard packed? What snow depth limits the Raptor?

The raptor is a blast in the snow. Snowmobile trails, hard pack, or ice is no problem. As for the snow depth limit, it depends on how hard you want to beat on it. I did some drift bashing this winter, and just kept it pinned and shifted between 2nd and 3rd.

In conclusion, you won't be disappointed with the raptor in Minnesota. I always have friends trying to convince me to buy 4x4s, but I couldn't live without the speed and jumping and racing ability of a sport quad.

Hope this helps!
Email me if you have any more questions, or are ever interested in riding some time!

Old 09-12-2001, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

I've ridden my Raptor in 12-14" of snow both on the streets and trails.

Good luck in making your decision. I still enjoy riding the Kodiak and often take it out after big rain storms. You give up the total sporty fun but gain in crawling over obstacles and going through deeper mud. I've considered selling the Kodiak to get a Wolverine so I could trick it out like Rich Travelena's with 500cc and a manual clutch.

Old 09-12-2001, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

The Raptor is not very good at all in the mud.It performs well out of it[the mud] though.I also agree with whoever told you to look at the new 4x4 660 Grizz instead of the Wolvorine.Performance wise,this new Grizz is the ticket and you have 4x4 as well.

Best Regards,
Bill

Old 09-12-2001, 07:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

ive owned niether but driven both and id go with the wolverine--- its great for everything---it has sport, utility, and mud all kinda mixed it. its an awsome trail quad because never have i seen a day with no mud on the trails plus i pitty the fool who hunt with rapter(really)
,Andrew

Old 09-12-2001, 09:05 PM
Range Rover

I just went through what you are having to decide last year. I had a Polaris Scrambler 400 with some mods, and had to decide if I could live without 4wd where I ride (Colorado high country, year round). I rode my Scrambler with some two wheel drive sport quads, and found that they could go just about anywhere in the snow that I could. When your frame hits heavy snow, or snow that's about 3 inches higher than the frame, you pretty much start having problems with any ATV unless you are in very light powder (of course, the sport quads are MUCH easier to move than a utility ATV when they get stuck). The Raptor was bottoming out on the rear skid plate every where on my first rides, so I put 22 inch Razr's on the rear (and front, by the way) to get more ground clearance. I did a lot of research, and Maxxis Razr's are one of the few tires that are actually 22 inches tall. This raised the rear a full inch. It was amazing the difference that one inch makes. I just finished a week of riding with my friend's on utility ATV's in the rocky Colorado high country (10,000-12,500 feet), and had NO PROBLEMS with ground clearance. I changed the front spocket to a 12 tooth to get the gearing back to what I wanted because the larger tires raised the gearing. There aren't too many mud bogs where I ride, but the Raptor has gone everywhere we tried, even slimy, muddy, rocky, tree rooted trails. The benefits I see for a utility ATV are: larger racks to carry stuff, an automatic to help you crawl through the really technical stuff, and a softer ride in the bumpy stuff. There is usually about 100 yards of riding in any given day that a utility can keep up or pass the Raptor, the rest of the time I'm having a blast, and they are nowhere in sight, unless I decide to let them keep up.
Good luck,
Lorrin

Quick Reply: New 4-Wheeler Decision ,, Need Help