Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

what is your favorite 4 wheeler and why??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2001 | 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

I like big quads. I don't like or understand little quads like Banshees or even Raptors. They just kinda feel like a clown on a tricycle. My DS is 60 lbs heavier than a Raptor, but it is so much bigger. Even our new Grizz had to have a new set of wheels and tires to widen it up. 43.5" wide for any quad is just not going to get my approval. Even Skyler's first quad, his 325 TrailBoss had a good wide stance, and his Raptor has a Durablue +5" axle, which really brought the handling to life. Polaris is good for keeping it big, Yamaha is hung up on woods riders or something 'cause everything they make is too narrow. We dodge a few trees, but it's the rocks we have to worry about out west.
So far my favorite quad is the DS, with A-arms and shocks and
XCT's. It should have come this way, and from what I hear so far about the new Baja model, it is. Sure would like to have that tach. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-16-2001 | 06:58 AM
Range Rover

With the respects of stock quads of course... I'll have to go by decades. In the 80's it's a tie between the Quadzilla 500 & the Kaw. Tecate-4. Back then 2-strokes were the stuff & of course 2-strokes are the fastest quads...bottom-line!!!!! For the 90's it's a no-brainer for me... that the Yamaha Banshee rules, because it's the only 2-stroke built from the factory & the fastest stock quad built from 1991 thru 1999...Wow!!!! Finally there's the new millenium quads... With the choices ranging from the slow *** 400ex, track oriented FX400, size does matter DS650, & the do-it-all Raptor!!! As you can tell I don't really care for the 400ex, because it's simply a 250r with a 4-stroke engine....not impressed!!! When the smoke clears & I'm looking for variety...because it is the spice of life...there is only one quad that does everything & does it well...& that my friend is the Raptor 660R. If the DS650 would have reverse the out-come would have been different!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-16-2001 | 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I know you guys are talking mostly about sport quads, and if I could afford two quads I'd probably pick a Banshee as the most fun on 4 wheels. But, for those of us who are bitten by the sport-quad bug, but absolutly need a utility quad, and can't afford one of each, there is the Wolverine 350.
The Wolverine is not the best utility quad, nor the best sport quad, but it works and plays like no other single quad can do.
I can take off the racks and go play racing, pretending I'm blasting across the desert at break neck speeds. It climbs hills, jumps, whips through trails, and blasts through mud.
I can put the racks back on, hook up the trailer, load everything up and it will happily work all day.
There's just nothing else that bridges the gap like the Wolverine does.

Old 09-16-2001 | 11:53 AM
Range Rover

The new KING of quads THE RAPTOR

Old 09-16-2001 | 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

The Raptor certainly is the most versatile "sport" quad. I had a hard time deciding between it and my DS. But the DS is the DS. Love it or hate it, you can't do much to change it. Sure, the A-arms and shocks need changing anyway, and there are plenty of hot-rod parts for it, But the Raptor is a chameleon compared to the DS. If I'd bought a Raptor I know I would have done a lot of modifications to it and been ultimately very pleased. I am very pleased with my DS, but it is the wrong quad for some people, plain and simple. I think a Raptor can be set up for just about anyone.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-17-2001 | 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

A week ago I would have said a 400EX. Umm,, not so anymore. You see, while at the dunes this past week, I had my first chance to ride a Banshee that was not tricked to the lip. AND LOVED IT! That thing has the coolest hit in the powerband I have ever experienced! I couldn't get over it! My 400EX feels like a stick in the mud now.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Now I know why you guys are so 2stroke loyal! "I gotta get me one of those!"

Old 09-17-2001 | 10:11 AM
Trailblazer

2-strokes: tecate 4 is awesome, biggest rush i've ever experienced, but i'd have to go with the 250R because of availability of parts and mods, there just aint much out there for tecates, but millions and millions of 250R parts

4-stroke: 400ex,,, i love it,, great for woods,dunes,MX,TT,and stunt (wheelies, ect.) just the overall 4-stroke quad.

Old 09-17-2001 | 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

My choice would have to be the 1985 MoTo 4 from Yamaha[lol].With its plush suspension[4 tires] and Super powerful 185cc[I think] 4 stroke powerband,this quad was the WHIP back than.Only my twin cyclinder riding lawn mower was faster.

Dont laugh,I actually seen one the other day!

Bill