Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

EXHAUST POLL FOR RAPTOR!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2001, 04:12 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to take a poll on which exhaust is the best for the Raptor. Since I can't find any info on an exhaust shoot out I will just have to use this poll in making my decision. I would like to hear your opinions on why you picked this pipe and what makes you think it is truely the best for a Raptor.

Old 09-16-2001, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

Don't even ask me why I am getting into this discussion but...

Personally, I would get the fiber carbon GYTR tip. The stock headpipe is already designed to work with it. It is a less expensive solution than buying a full exhaust. You will have fewer hassles from Yamaha when it comes to your warranty. For a lightly modded machine, the GYTR tip produces as much power as the complete systems offered by the other companies and I believe more low end torque than any of them. I know you already cut the baffles and rejetted your bike. The same improvement you notice from doing this over stock is the same improvement you can expect by opening you airbox up even more, adding the GYTR tip, and rejetting.

The only other exhaust to consider is one of the new "quiet" exhausts. I don't have any experience with them nor read much about them. If you can hold off for a few more months, more info will come out about them.

If you plan to go crazy with a big bore kit, new cam, porting, etc. then a full exhaust could offer some improvement over the stock pipe and GYTR tip.

Good luck. You will get many differences of opinion on this.

Old 09-16-2001, 10:51 AM
Trailblazer

CT Racing for the money, it is by far the way to go!! Skydog

Old 09-16-2001, 11:50 AM
Range Rover

I would go with the Big Gun full race exhaust.Great gains in low and mid range power and it sounds BAD!!!!

Old 09-16-2001, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

I'm still running the stock setup, waiting for the dust to settle. I live in MI where we get a 94dB limit on state land in 2002. So whatever I get (and anybody else who's legal in MI) has to produce lots of power quietly. From what I understand, Oregon might have some kind of limitation also. Best bet is to E-mail the magazines asking them to do an objective pipe test for the Raptor, like ATV Sport did for the 400EX in their June 2001 issue. E-mail ATV Sport at ghansen@affinitygroup.com

Old 09-16-2001, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

noturaptor is right on, unless you are gonna do engine mods down the road, stick with the yamaha gyt-r slip on. I have the big gun and love it, but will probably do engine mods some day and don't want to buy 2 pipes.

Old 09-17-2001, 03:27 AM
Trailblazer

As a Police Officer, I can guarantee you, no “STATEY,county mounty or the local bacon” in your area is going to be carrying a decibel meter with them. They are too expensive and the case never holds up in court of law, due to the manufactures specifications tested in acoustic chambers.

It’s also against your 4th amendment right, of illegal search & seizure.

Old 09-17-2001, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

I did the research this spring when I wanted an exhaust system for my Raptor... go with CT Racing... you get the most power gains for the money (across the rpm range)!

Old 09-17-2001, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

I have and like the big gun race system, it really was a big improvement over stock, if you are on a budget I would suggest the GYT-R silencer with the stock pipe, which probably comes close to the performance I get on the full system for about 1/2 the cost

Old 09-17-2001, 02:07 PM
Banned

Hi NotuRaptor,

Can you tell me how much louder the GYT-R slipon exhaust is and second, is the increase of performance very noticable from stock form? My machine is also stock and I'm looking into a performance exhaust as we speak and I do not have plans of opening up my engine. Also, when you purchase the exhaust, does Yamaha give you recommendations on jet sizes etc?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

IronBear

Quick Reply: EXHAUST POLL FOR RAPTOR!!!!!!!!!!!