Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

gytr carbon fiber exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2001, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't remember who, but someone had quite a bit of info on using this exhaust with the stock head pipe and getting good power gains.

My question is does the gytr give you some jetting guidelines or are you on your own. What jets do they reccommend and if I were to go this route, what type of airfilter kit and jet kit would be reccommended?

Thanks
Paul

Old 09-19-2001, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

Batoutahell,
I put a gytr carbon fiber on my raptor as well as a k&n air filter and Pro-Designs clamp on filter system. Believe it or not, even with such a high-flow air filter, yamaha says not to rejet. I am still running stock jetting with this system and am getting a nice powergain throughout the powerband. However, I do have a small flat spot on the bottom end when I give it a lot of gas from the start. It isn't bad unless the engine is cold or under a lot of pressure like in deep sand. I am in the process of trying a larger pilot jet to try to correct this. Other than that, I have been impressed with the gytr. It gave me a nice power boost and isn't so ungodly loud!

HoundDog

Old 09-19-2001, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

HoundDog06

What source at Yamaha says not to rejet? I have the instructions with the exhaust and it doesn't mention anything specifically whether to rejet or not let alone with air filter change too. There isn't anything magical about Yamaha's setup that wouldn't require carb changes.

I would definitely be worried that you are running lean and might damage the engine.

I would check it closely. You should need a larger main jet and to make a change on one of the screw settings on the carb.

Batoutahell, read the exhaust post for detailed info on the settings I am using. Granted though, I bought the Dynojet kit which uses different size jets than the factory ones.

Old 09-20-2001, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

my friend has that set up and he went up 1 size on the main jets in each carb. It runs right with my big gun set up now.

Old 09-20-2001, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

NotuRaptor,
My dealer was the one who insisted I would not need rejetting. I allowed him to install the pipe for me in order to avoid cancellation of any of my warranty. At first, I was as skeptical as you. However, having rebuilt two hondas and extensive mods to a 99 warrior, I took me only a couple minutes riding to convince me he was right. I am not running lean. I even jerked the plug after a good hard ride and was holding a picture perfect plug. If you have ridden very many yamahas, you probably know that they come from the factory already running fairly rich. This ensures a cooler running engine and longer lasting top end. However, for those of us yearning for performance, it definitely leaves something to be desired. I promise you that at any altitude below 3000 feet, you will not need to rejet your raptor when installing a gytr.

HoundDog

Old 09-20-2001, 09:47 AM
Elite Pro Rider

How does the GYT silencer compare with the stock exhaust with the baffle removed from the silencer? In performance and especially loudness? Thanks guys.

Old 10-01-2001, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

I was the guy who did the research and dyno work on the GYTR vs. other pipes.

The GYTR is loud just like all of the other pipes.

Jetting. You will need to go up BUT the needles are wrong for anything but the stock setup. I hate to send you to Dyna but they have the needles you need. Try Ebay for the jet kit $69.00

If you want power and quiet, I understand that Trinity Racing in Anaheim, CA just finished proto type work on a reflective type silencer with no power loss. I must thank Trinity for being the only company to actually care about the noise problem. Without responsible companies helping to reduce the noise, we will see noise restrictions and a major loss of riding areas now that 4 strokes are on the scene.

Old 10-02-2001, 05:22 AM
Pro Rider

Magic Racing (800)999-4594 has the jet kit for $69.95 with same day shipping. It's a "K&N Stage 2 kit", but inside has "Dynojet" all over. Big Gun and FMF are working (have?) on quiet pipes also. "Quiet" being 94dB for us Michigan folks in 2002.

Old 10-02-2001, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

how much is the gytr slip for the raptor? i was at the dealer the other day and drove one with the pipe and i loved how it sounded. they had the pipe in the store for sale for $280.00! i thought that was ridiculous! what can i get the pipe for elsewhere?

Old 10-02-2001, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

There is on on Ebay as we speak.

I like the GYTR because you can easily slip on the stock tip in restricted areas.

Big Bun and FMF may be working on quiet pipes but I doubt it will be as nice as the Trinity pipe. Did you know that Big Bun does not even make their own pipe??