Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

~~~~Update/Pictures of my 2001 Raptor tranny problems~~~~

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2001, 05:00 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you may or may not know i've had troubles with my 2001 Raptor Tranny 2nd gear problem. I wanted to wait till i got my Raptor back from my dealer to post pictures of the tranny parts that i belive to be "defective". My bike has been at my dealer for 1 1/2 months because of this second gear failure, i had to pay $350 bucks of the $1300 repair bill i was looking at because Yamaha agreed to pick up 80%. I know that's not 80% of the bill, but i was still happy to get my Raptor back and that my dealer was kind enough to speak out for me.

I still intend on taking Yamaha to small claims court, but i think at best i'd get my $350 bucks back. I still haven't decided if it's going to be worth my time/effort. BUT if i win this case, this would open up Yamaha for a class action suit which would help everyone that has had this 2nd gear Raptor tranny problem. People need to step up and come foward, as of today i have about 6 formal complaints to Yamaha on this matter and a few work repair orders. IF enough people with this type of problem come foward we have a strong case, i've counsulted an attorney on this and based on what info i provided him, he told me i have a case here. My next step is to set up an in person meeting at Yamaha headquarters and share my thoughts, findings, ideas on this Raptor tranny issue. i've spoken to several shops around town about the tranny problem and from what i understand/ gathered it's a "mis-aligment" of the gears.

It is not my intent to scare but to inform all 2001 Raptor owners. To me the tranny problem is bull$hit. Yamaha agreed to "goodwill" my repairs only because my dealer talked to them. 80% is alot of money to pay if Yamaha wants to help me out and "goodwill it". if nothing becomes of this whole mess, at least people on the fourms will call up Yamaha and give thrm hell about paying for there tranny troubles. My Raptor WAS and is still under it's 6 month warrenty. with a name like Yamaha and all the years they have been in the field, for them to put out a top of the line ATV and have this type of tranny problem is bad for there company. I feel Yamaha should stand behind there product and back it up. I've riden ATV for years now and know how to maint. / operate them, and for Yamaha to said that my problem occured due to opertor "mis-shift" is bull. In Yamaha own web site it states, new for 2002 that they upgraded gear ratios, it seems to me they changing gear ratio's from one year to the next is because they knew they had a problem. Changing gear ratio's on the tranny is a BIG ticket item. Anyhow below are links to tranny pics i snapped from the repairs to my bike. now that i have my Raptor back im going to ride it for awhile and either take them to court or sell it (not on the fourm of corse) and buy a 2002 Rapto if u could belive that, i still like the Raptor. any input would help eman40000@yahoo.com

-late

pictures of my 2001 Raptor Tranny

letters to the president of Yamaha Letters

and some history with my Raptor problems
Troubles
Troubles1
Troubles2
Troubles3

Old 09-22-2001, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to that site and wrote a letter also. I don't understand why it didn't come up in your search. I haven't had any problem yet, but am concerned.