Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

No spark

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2001, 02:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently got back from a very long and dusty ride with a close friend. Everything was working just great, I pulled into camp and shut'er down for the night, and proceeded to have a few cold ones with my buddy. When I got up the next morning the Griz wouldn't start. After several attempts it did start for a short time. But I let it idle down too low without the choke, and the engine died. I haven't been able to get it to start since that day. The problem is that I'm not getting any spark. A short time before this happened I left the key on for 3 weeks. Obviously the battery was dead when I went to start it three weeks later. Inspite of that, it still only took one pull on the recoil rope to get it started! Strike that, after it ripped the rope out of my hands the first time, I got it going in one pull after that.
I've gotten lots of stories about how leaving the ingition on for that long can fry various electrical components.
I have no idea if anything I've been hearing about leaving the key on for that long can really mess things up or not. Before I take it to a shop for repair, I thought I'd ask if any of you guys know what might be wrong? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

Rick

Old 09-29-2001, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

I took the CDI box off the Griz today, as well as the coil, and a few other electrical components. I went to the Yamaha dealership last week and asked them what they thought might be wrong. They all agreed that I probrbly fried the CDI box when I left the key on for that long. As it turns out, they were correct. After I removed the CDI box, and inspected it, I found that the back was completely melted and a lot of the guts were actually starting to melt through! Looks like I'm going to have to get a new one.

Rick

Old 09-30-2001, 02:40 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Rick, so it looks like you found your problem??? Did ya get it fixed up yet, or still waiting for that darned dealer down there? Hope ya get that big bear up and running again here pretty soon, all this cooler weather has brought in some rain to the areas, you know what that means... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Shoot me an email when you get the 'puter all fixed up again after that nasty viral problem-you really ought to see a doc about that kind of thing ya know! heh heh heh [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Best of Luck Man, talk to ya later,

Mike