Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bike for the wife?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2001, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My two cents...

Get her a 400ex, add a complete exhaust, open the airbox, rejet, and drop one tooth in the front. She will have a very capable bike that is lighter in weight, handles great with the stock tires, and has a fairly good suspension. You will save quite a bit of money with this setup.

Personally, I wouldn't put her on a Raptor. The front-end lifts easier on a Raptor. It is much heavier when you go with "wet" weight figures instead of "dry" weight. The Raptor is more "tippy" than a 400ex expecially in the corners. The 400ex lands softer than a Raptor - partly due to the weight difference I am sure. My issue with the Raptor has nothing to do with giving her too much power. In fact, I trust my girlfriend more on mine now that it has a GYTR tip, open airbox, and Dynojet kit. The one thing I don't have to worry about is her losing power in 2nd gear on a steep hill because she doesn't like to ride in the powerband.

I own two 400exs and a Raptor. I ride one of the 400exs quite often. In fact, I just got done riding it today for 4 hours. I am always amazed at how it lands softer than my Raptor that has Elka triple rates up front and Elka rear shock. Actually, it kind of pi$$e$ me off. Every time I get off this quad, I think "man this quad is good enough for me, I think I might sell the Raptor". Then, I ride the Raptor and remember what instant power feels like and learn to live with the other quirks. Thank goodness I've never ridden a Banshee. I might learn to like its powerband even better than the Raptor (even though I read the Banshee has even more quirks to contend with.

/NotuRaptor

Old 10-01-2001, 08:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an '02 Warrior for a first quad and I think it's perfect.
Lots of power, but not too crazy; can go anywhere (trails, dunes, mud, etc.)
The reverse gear is great, and to top it all off it's simple, proven and reliable.
The only time Banshees, 400ex's and Raptors really kill me is on the open roads.
Anywhere else I can keep up no problem. In a couple years I will upgrade to whatever's top dog but until then the Warrior's my ride.