Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior 98 Cracked Frame

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-1999, 06:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh I hope we didn't make a big mistake when we purchased this atv from a private party! Not knowing much about atvs, we had to trust the seller on his word when he told us the Warrior was in very good condition. My son and I purchased a 98 Warrior from an owner in Connecticut, we live in Rhode Island. After about 3 weeks of riding in our wooded lot, today my son noticed a large crack in the frame. The location of the crack is on the left side, in the tubing above the left foot rest and below the decal "Electric 350". He is so disappointed because he worked all Spring, Summer and Fall to save his money. Now he doesn't know what to do and I don't either. One Yamaha dealer mentioned that the only practical solution was to try and get it welded. We would appreciate any suggestions so that this atv can be brought back to a save and reliable vehicle. My son (16 years) enjoys doing mild jumps over logs so we want to make sure that the frame is safe! We did notice after purchasing the atv that a small brace near the cracked tubing was broken when we purchaed it. The brace which has circular holes is about 4" and crosses the tubing in the shape of a "Y" below the decal "Electric 350". This is probably and indication that the frame was hit there before we purchased it. The cracks were not visible to us at the time of purchase which now goes completely through the tubing. We hope some of you can offer us some suggestions and encouragement. Thanks for your time and help.

Old 12-07-1999, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer

Man that sux real bad. Your dealer is right, maybe you should get a guy to weld it for you. Or you can suve up your money for a new frame, which is like a $1000 or more(probably more). I suggest u weld it real good and maybe save up for a used frame possible from a atv salvage company.. The frames are normally in good shape and a lot cheaper than a new one.

------------------
Evan Johnson 88 LT250R 99 400EX

Old 12-08-1999, 12:38 AM
Range Rover

Not a problem, I cracked the frame on my Wolverine. It welded up just fine, and I race it, jumping it 6-7 feet. Find a good welder and see what he can do....Or bring it over. He He

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/norcalatv

Old 12-08-1999, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

I also purchased a used Warrior that was suppose to be in "good" condition. It was in fair condition. I paid a fair price for what I got. You did not mention price. I did not have to fix the frame but did have to do some things that you may also want to check! The rear axle bearings(do this by jacking the atv up in the center and see if their is any play in the axle "up-n-down") while you have it up you also need to check the swing arm bearing. The one I bought was not properly greased. I also had to remove the carb and clean it though that will be very evident(like it wont run) I also had to replace the chain and both sprockets (which you should do as a set anyway)That should keep you busy for awhile and get you looking in the right direction for any other possible problems.

Oh almost forgot Check out the upper motor mounts under the fuel tank Both of mine were broken, probably from jumping.!

Good luck!
Maddog

P.S.S. I hate to sound Pessimistic But Almost NEVER take a "Seller" at his word unless you know them. They have one goal to sell it!

[This message has been edited by MADDOG357 (edited 12-08-1999).]

Old 12-08-1999, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with thumper4x4 in believing that your frame can be repaired. I would check the entire machine out and locate any other cracks you have, remove any parts or plastic that might be in the way of repair work, and then find a good shop in your area. Any decent shop could re-weld a break where a previous factory weld failed--and it would probably be stronger--or even replace frame sections with material as strong, or stronger than stock if that's what you need/want. Just make sure you communicate what you want...if you say fix the crack then that's what you'll get...a re-welded area that might fail again. If you tell them you want this repaired to factory specs in appearance and strength, then you'll end up with a better repair job. Good luck!!!

Old 12-16-1999, 07:25 AM
Range Rover

Maddog,
One of my uppers was broke to, the reason
mine broke was the lower mounts got loose.

Old 12-17-1999, 02:59 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with everyone else. Just get the frame weled up and you should be ready to ride. I have 96 warrior to. I race it very hard. I have went though about 3 sets of them motor mounts above the gas tank. You can find a good welder abd have them fixed as well. The reason they break is that, the warrior weighs over 400 pounds and when it comes down ....well...it comes down hard. But having your lower motor mount loose well break them to.

96 Warrior and 96 Banshee