Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Anyone that changes there own oil (read)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-1999, 11:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your change your oil you may have noticed the same thing me and my cousin did, upon removing the oil drain cap I looked down into the cup part thats inside the motor there were all kinds of metal shavings, I freaked out, thinking that I have done something way wrong. Upon contacting yamaha I was told that that is normal in some cases and is just transmision parts seating in and will not be as prominent in later oil changes, although some shavings may still find there way into the bottom of the cap.
I found this interesting and kind of a relief, I wish I would have known this before I went to change the oil.
Andrew

------------------

Old 12-12-1999, 11:56 PM
Trailblazer

Yes I had the same thing happen It was part of the clutch and the basket. this was on a 95 wolverine. Ive still got little chunks coming out on the plug. the best part is that when i changed the oil filter that was a real suprise the whole thing was plugged with thi shavings. I don't think thats good for it but they say its alright. Have you ever rounded the head off the plug?

Old 12-13-1999, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer

You Contacted YAMAHA!!!

I was beginning to wonder if they still existed. There quad division is impossible to get a hold of.

YFS200

Old 12-13-1999, 03:59 PM
Range Rover

Hehe, building a new sport quad hopefully, and no i havent rounds off the plug.

Old 12-13-1999, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

Here's a trick, Get a magnetic plug so the shavings atract to it instead of going through the motor.

------------------
Garrett Lowman; CT240 Blaster, YZ490

Old 12-15-1999, 05:24 PM
Range Rover

first time i change my oil i saw shavings too.my dealer said it was because it was new. i have changed my oil since and have only seen slim to nil.

------------------
99' Wolverine, FMF MegaMax2 Pipe, K&N jet kit and filter, OxLite brush guards,Skidplate, DuraBlue Elimanator axle and lift kit

Old 12-16-1999, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

I think that I would have to agree about seeing ...maybe....a few shavings in the oil during engine break in... But after the first few changes...If your still seeing a noticable amount shavings...there is something wrong.... Your talking about losing alot of tolerance in metal (gears etc.) with repeated metal shavings. I don't think that is normal.... But, i guess it could be...I just rebuilt my banshee motor and did not notice more than a little, if any shavings in the oil....And I always change the oil every couple of rides unless there is a chance that water made it's way into the engine... Then I change it right away.
My opinion is that if you continue to see shavings....I would try an oil with a different viscosity...heat can break down the oil...that would cause shavings too...
good luck
~Jim

Old 12-16-1999, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider

What oil, 2 stroke engine= no oil sump???

------------------
Harold Wells Raleigh NC 98 Wolverine& 97 Timberwolf Blueribbon Coalition Member

Old 12-16-1999, 03:49 PM
Range Rover

2 strokes only have case oil for crank and rod bearings, and tranny, there oiling system is far different then that of a 350 2 valve fourstroke such as in big bear, wolverine, moto4, and warrior

Old 12-16-1999, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider

Your not telling me anything new about engines...I have been in this sport for alot of years.... Shavings in the oil are real bad... They are not supposed to be there...I have a warrior also...and have never seen shavings..new or old.

The kind of oil feed system has nothing to do with shavings in the oil (please enlighten me). The shavings are from lack of lubrication... and or... so called seating and break in.

All I'm saying is that if your still seeing shavings..good luck. I don't mean this in a bad way either..... just watch it closely...cause if you had to ask...then you had a doubt.

I just find it kind of funny that the topic...which was shavings...would turn into a debate over oil pumps...

[This message has been edited by sAyIt_fmf (edited 12-16-1999).]

Quick Reply: Anyone that changes there own oil (read)