Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

660 grizz or 650twin??

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2001, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"If you like puttin along and riding comfortable then buy the grizz"

I just wanted to add, have you ever ridden a grizzly? its not just for putting along, you can do it very well and comfortable, but it still does have the big 660 engine, its not like its a 250 putter or anything

Old 10-13-2001, 02:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You can putt around on a Banshee if the thought crossed your mind.

Old 10-13-2001, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

I would buy the grizz660 if I had to do it all over again,the bike just had more features that fit my need more than the 650 or the 700 polaris.oh yea I have to add that I have outran a 650 2 or 3 times,its close out of the hole but once the grizz hits midrange it waves bye bye to the 650. atvdude.com has a good clip of the 650/660 drag race.

Old 10-13-2001, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

I laughed when I read that guy say that the most important feature was which one had the best engine braking. I agree, screw the type of engine, suspension, braking and ergonomics of the damn thing. When I'm looking at a quad and a sales man tries telling me about the unimportant stuff like the engine and features I simply cut him off and tell him to get down to the engine braking -- cuz that's all that matters. LMAO

Old 10-13-2001, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll let you know in about 2 weeks. I own an '02 Grizzly Camo (love it) and I'm thinking about trading in my '01 Kodiak towards a Prairie 650.

Old 10-14-2001, 02:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

What a tough question. I also don't think one is "BETTTER" than the other. Riding style and personal tastes dictate which is best, as has been mentioned.

My brother has the griz 660 and I have the Prairie 650. Both are stock. We both love our machines. He can't beat me in a race, not even close. On a realy rough trail the suspension of the Griz shines. I have an easier time in the mud, water and hill climbs. I prefer a solid rear axle for power sliding the fast trails. He likes slower broken up trails and going over things.

We both pour lots of gas through the machines!

I could be happy with either one. But when jumping back and forth between the two, we both agree the Kawi is smoother with no vibrations in the footrests and handlebars. And that is important to me, but not so important to him. They are both heavy and feel heavy but IMO the Griz has lighter steering feel.

We both like beer ant the END of the trail!!

Old 10-14-2001, 02:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

DuneJammer- Thats probably why you own sport quads.

Old 10-14-2001, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

Andy,actually I don't only own sport quads, It's just that I started feeling guilty when I sat down to list everyting I owned and besides I ran out of room. I Noticed that you even listed the bikes you used to own, nice touch [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Do you mean to tell me that the fricking engine braking is the deciding factor when you go to look at 4x4 quads? Get real or get outta my face [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-14-2001, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

Hey DuneJammer. Have you ever ridden down an extremely steep moutain trail with a 1000 ft drop off the side of the hairpin turns, with a load of gear on the racks and a heavy loaded trailer behind? I have on my non-EBS Polaris, and I can tell you engine braking seems pretty important at that time! Each to his own type of riding. Personally, I'm very interested in what people have to say about the engine braking of these quads.

Old 10-15-2001, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

3TV, I like your sense of humour, but I don't know how many readers will get it, as this is one of the few posts I've ever read about brakes where everyone has used correct spelling. Usually I've read that the things that stop the ATV are the "breaks". Oh well, I guess thats the brakes--- I mean breaks.
As far as these two ATVs go, its the old Ford, Chev thing. They are both really nice! I wish I had either one.

Quick Reply: 660 grizz or 650twin??