Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

660 grizz or 650twin??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry if you guys couldnt understand the engine braking question.my friends new 650 didnt engine brake that good in high but it was alot better in low on long steep hills.i was wanting to know if the 660 was as good or even worse.where i ride it is alot of steep hills that i have to go up and down and i dont want to ride the brakes all of the time.as for dunejammer and his banshees and raptors and top fuel drag cars /those are useless in my kind of riding.when i want to go fast i ride my kx 500.

Old 10-15-2001, 02:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Get out of my face? I'll refrain from comment on that crap.

Engine braking isn't like suspension or speed or that stuff when considering a new ride, but it is a factor for those that ride the right conditions. If you ever rode a 400 prairie or a pre-98 polaris down a steep *** hill, you would understand the need a little better. I mean the NEED, not the aspect of the situation.

I wondered about it a few years ago, and then I found out first hand while riding a guys 400 sportsman. Going about 35 down a dirt road and letting off casually like I have so many times on manual quads, the thing didnt slow down a bit. I laid into the brakes (which were crap) and finally slowed it down to take a corner at the bottom of the hill. From that point on, I kept myself a bit more under control, and found out first hand what decent engine braking is good for.

This guy that asked this question in the first place obviously is someone who crawls down hills a lot. Relying solely on brakes, even on a 4x4 can lead to total wheel lockup and a good out of control downhill slide. Thats not something to look forward to. Good engine braking, low range or otherwise is nice to have in that situation.

Old 10-15-2001, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

Actually guys I sense some confusion here, I own and ride other quads that aren't sport quads but I don't have a top fuel dragster (well at least not yet). Believe it or not I DO understand engine braking and since I own two polari (plural for polarises) I also understand breaking as well.
I see that 3TV at least was able to grasp the concept of what I was pointing out so I suppose it safe to say that my feeble attempt at levity was not totally wasted (course he's a real smart doctorin type from near my parts).
Yukonbill, actually I have done exactly what you speak of, yesterday in fact (well except for the trailer part, that is usually left hitched to my truck). Pictures can be provided upon request.
Andy needs a sense of humor, but alas I have no control over the miniscule brain functions of weak and surly. Andy: work on that sense of humor and get back to me if anything develops. FYI if I put one of these [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] chances are I'm kidding with you. Good god, did somebody snap your bra string in the bathroom this morning or what?

Engine braking is a necessity on these heavy 4x4 quads, DUH!! I don't recall ever disputing whether or not EBS was needed. I guess my point is, that after you have ridden all of the new models like I did when I bought mine you will find that the engine braking is so similar between them that it will become a non-issue and you will be able to concentrate on the real differences between them.

Old 10-15-2001, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

If you think engine braking isn't important than you probably don't ride extreme mountains and inclines. I've seen too many Polaris's slide down mountains out of control due to lack of engine brake in the front wheels.