Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Quads in the military

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was watching the news last night on our latest bombardment of Afghanistan. I was surprised to see several special forces taking off on quads, thought that was pretty cool. Couldn't tell what kind they were but it just shows how versatile and useful they are in all kinds of situations. ATV's would be ideal in that rugged country to help us take out some rag-heads.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-11-2001, 01:50 PM
RIP Dear Friend

JHAM,
I think I saw the same news footage and at a quick glance because they didn't show it very long I think it might have been the rear of a Honda foreman. Could be totally wrong though. Chet

Old 10-11-2001, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah I saw them driving out of the plane, and figured they were Foremans.... seems like the new Griz woulb be perfect... plenty of room for hauling/pulling stuff, gear power/speed, and w/ the IRS anyone could ride one for hours and not have to worry about fatigue.

Old 10-11-2001, 04:43 PM
Range Rover

I think a DS would be perfect to go out and get those Dune Coon's.

Old 10-11-2001, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

I thought they were Hondas but didn't want the Honda guys to get too much of a big head...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 10-11-2001, 09:00 PM
Range Rover

I missed the footage. Were they U.S. forces? When you really think about it, atvs are perfect for certain kinds of reconnaisance work. Fast, fairly quiet, go anywhere and can carry equipment. Plus they are relatively cheap and low-maintenance.

Old 10-11-2001, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ive just seen the news footage today I thingk that the quads are Suzuki king quads because of how close the front head lights were spaced and the shape of the lights where round. and by the shape of the plastic around the fuel tank.

Old 10-12-2001, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

let's just hope they don't have fish and game guys over there or they will want to see that registration and written permission that they are aloud to ride there.

Old 10-12-2001, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider

It's likely they'd be hondas, having not seen the footage, the military doesn't play the game get the newest model and stick it in the field game( Well okay they HAVE done that a time or two in this century, sometimes disasterously. ) But usually something needs both certifications and internal testing, that can be anywhere from a joke to severe requirments. If their current vehicle suits them they won't be doing major changing anytime soon. ( witness the 30 year old "state of the art" F15 syndrom )

Old 10-12-2001, 06:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Alright they are Hondas.. I'm in the air force ( 10 years now!) I work in Vehicle Maintenance and Our guys use Hondas which models? Heck it could be quite a variety some are dog old and there are new ones.Our Para rescue ( our version of the seals) use atv and dirt bikes alot and believe it or not they use this to lure people into this career field( I fell for it but washed out of the swimming part)
The quads themselves aren't modified accept with a few with radar proof paint. The ATV's have been used since the early 90's, the military even has a instructional riding class on them!
Now as for getting " RAGHEADS" gimme a break! We are after the terrorists! the bad guys! I did my time in the desert so trust me some of these people over there are pretty cool( I was able to MX race with some British and Local ARABs back in 92 NOW THAT WAS FUN! Talk about Huge DUNES!)
The use of ATV's will definitley help us win the war on terrorism and restore Afganistan to better state being! NOw that's cool...

Laubin
Currently stationed at Osan AB KOrea with no ATV![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Quads in the military