Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak Oil Filter / DON'T Use Fram !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 03:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this site while looking for an alternative oil filter for my 2000 Kodiak 4x4.There were some earlier posts where the Fram PH6017A, along with some others, was said to fit the Kodiak. I have used Fram for years thinking that it was a superior filter. I have since changed my thinking and will definately NOT be using them anymore. I have never experienced a failure that could be laid on the filter but this was enough info to sway me. Decide for yourselves. Be sure to read the feedback page.

http://www.twocreeks.net/toby/fram.shtml

Old 10-15-2001, 06:35 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the heads up! I'm getting ready to change the oil in my Kodiak, and would have used the Fram filter. Now I'm wondering about the Fram oil filters in my F150, Mustang GT, and SHO.

Old 10-16-2001, 10:18 AM
Trailblazer

I found what seems to be an extremely well made oil filter for my 2000 Kodiak. Hiflo Filtro pn# HF-138. O-ring seal, very deepthreads, sharp,clean edges on all drainback holes & threads. This filter looks great from the outside. I found it at a local KTM / Artic Cat dealer. $6.95.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I'll cut it open this spring and post on the internal quality.

Old 10-16-2001, 01:52 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

You are right! Fram is a BAD filter. Wix is far superior!! It cost more but filters twice as much.

Old 10-17-2001, 03:09 AM
Pro Rider

Who in this wide old world 'in the know' told you fram has good filters? Not too darn many, they are a filter, and they are better than trying to duct tape the holes over when changing car oil, but that's about their limit.

NEVER believe ANY advertisement. Watch the race ignore the adds.

edit added: Oh and OH!!! Along the same lines, most any old motor oil is fine, but of the name branded oils the only one to avoid is Havoline, despite all their slick adds (bad pun) and even a smattering of questionable endorsements.

Old 10-17-2001, 07:33 AM
Trailblazer

My decision to use Fram oil filters was made years ago and was based on a February 1987 article in the Consumer Reports magazine. They rated Fram filters the best of all those tested (Lee, AC, K Mart, Motorcraft, Purolator, Sears, Hastings. They stated, "We rated filters for their ability to trap specks of 20 microns and larger. Only one line of filters - Fram - did an outstanding job in every filter size we tested."
Looks like I need more current information.

Old 10-17-2001, 11:37 AM
Trailblazer

454, I read the same report as you. I have used them in all my car and anything else I can get them for. Never had a problem. My belief is a good oil filter cleans particles out of the oil. I didn't see anything in the link about filtering ability. Only some reports of possible engine damage and recalled units from 5 years ago. CR used a scientific method to evaluate oil filters. This guy used a hack saw on the balcony. For now I am still happy with Fram. My mind can be changed with real data and scientific tests.

Charlie

Old 10-17-2001, 05:27 PM
Trailblazer

The original post was not mean't to try to change anyones mind. Maybe the title should have been "FRAM filter info,you decide?" Did this 13 year old CR report have pictures of the materials used inside of FRAM brand filters? I was in the Persian Gulf sweepin mines & missed that issue. The info this guy took the time and trouble to put up only dealt with the construction of the different brands of filters he had on hand,not their ability to trap a certain size of debris. I spent about an hour on his site reading the whole article. He even noted that the trouble with recalls and failures came after FRAM was aquired by Allied Signal so maybe the early ones were better (circa 1987). From the pictures I looked at on this site the 6017A was built very cheap & shoddy. The guy may or may not have used a hacksaw on the balcony or maybe even a chainsaw in the crapper but what was exposed by his crude attempt at surgery looks like a piece of crap to me. Glued on cardboard endcaps mushy from oil saturation and coming off on his fingers??? Relief valve slip-fit into a cardboard hole possibly allowing dirty oil around it and back into the gallery?? Flex plate relief valve spring instead of a coil spring?? No thanks, not in my hard earned machinery. Hell, even a sanctioning body banned them on racing machines because they plugged up on their own guts and blew out on the track! Go back & look at some of the othe filters he cut open. If cardboard is the best stuff to use then why are the others using steel end caps & coil springs & thick base plates that allow lots of thread engagement? The element itself may have the ability to restrict/trap tiny particles but not if it's coming apart inside after it's been in there a while. This guy may or may not be full of it but his pics showed me what FRAM pn6017A looks like inside and I don't like it. My $.02

Old 10-22-2001, 11:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys I can help out. Just go down to your local NAPA and get a NAPA Gold pn.1358 and your troubles will be over! Forget about all the other filters and the best part is the filter is only about $7.50 vs $12.78 at the local Yamaha dealer. I'll be darn if I will pay the dealers high price if I can help it.

01 Kodiak 400