Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Just Cant Decide ! ! !

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2001, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's one more thing about the DS. It is sort of intangable, it's hard to put your finger on....It feels magnificant. There is an exotic look and feel to the thing. It runs smoother, feels beefier, more stabile. I often think of it as the "DUCATI of Quads" It oozes quality,
class, style, from the company that makes LearJet.
.....The Raptor looks great, rides great, but feels kinda cheap in comparison. Of course that lighter weight is a real plus, and part of why it feels "cheap" compared to the DS.
.....The Austrian Rotax engine is a work of art, not that the Raptor engine is any slouch, but there certainly are a bunch of guys out there with early Raptors with tranny stories.
......If these qualities mean anything to you, and you can find one for $5300, The DS is a choice you won't regret...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-16-2001, 01:23 PM
Range Rover

Well, I hope that you decide on the DS650 & bring it down to my area for some comparison riding. In my area ever since the DS650 has come out I've yet to see one. Except in the dealer showcase room. Raptors are everywhere, so it wouldn't hurt to see the Bomb. in action.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-16-2001, 03:39 PM
Trailblazer

take it easy knutz, but you are right, i was going on what the DS guy told me, but i just looked in the july 2001 issue of dirtwheels and your right it is 460, honest mistake, but you cannot deny that that extra weight makes a huge difference. After riding both I (personal opinion) just feel more comfortable on the raptor. And the owner of the DS was bashing it himself. I still say raptor especially if it is trail riding.

Old 10-16-2001, 05:24 PM
Trailblazer

My 2 cents, I have a raptor, I ride with a ds650 75% of the time.
my pro's n cons.

DS650
I like the feel, It accelerates nice, It jumps smooth. It sucks up bumps, shocks tend to absorb alot. definitly a smoother ride over the long haul.
Accelerates, hill climbs could go either way against the raptor.
In a four mile stretch of lake bed, He is a bit faster where It takes a good few minutes before were even a quad length apart.
Priced to sell right now. Rare, Unique for the most part on the trails.

It tends to nose dive real quick on the longer and large jumps. 45ft +.
The quad handles great, but you do notice the weight in tight areas.
Not as many accesories available. Price to upgrade and improve is high.
Price to hp ratio on accesories added on is low. Friend has difficult time starting in cold wheather. Needs better seating, Needs better shocks.

Raptor
I also like the feel, Seems more suitable to my size. 6ft 210lbs On seat manuvearbilty is better on the raptor. The steering is more precise and quick at low and high speeds. Personal appearance. I like the looks.
Drag race could go either way. Hill climbs could go either way.
Raptor is more forgiving if ya screw up on jumps. Tends to correct itself
quicker than you know you did it wrong. Accesories are abundant.
Price to hp increase is resonable. 2 strokes rule that catagory though.

Raptor has the worst set up in skid protection known to production.
Raptor has had issues with Carb's popping off. This has not happend to me.
Raptor has issue with rear axle bending.
I personally jump 50+ feet with some seriously bad landings at times.
It held up fine so far. but I have seen a friends bend off the same jump i have taken.
I've heard of issue with tranny on some raptors. I have not seen that or any of the guys I ride with have had issues with tranny.

Both quads need a better shock system, Both need better swing arms.

I will say I'm happy with my raptor.
I will say the Guy with the DS650 is happy with his. But, in tough muddy trails and or Tight areas. He does wish he had that reverse.

My opinion is though. IN THE DUNES.

Banshee's rule,
Raptor's saying "which way did he go"
Ds650 saying " NOT THE JUMP, ANYTHING BUT THE JUMP "

No bashing I love all 3 machines.

Old 10-16-2001, 07:53 PM
EDD
Trailblazer

I CANT BELIVE NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT THE ELEPHANT IN THE LIVING ROOM.IF THE RAPTOR HAD THE DS 650 SHOCKS(TWICE THE SIZE OF THE RAPTORS) AXLE (AGAIN TWICE AS BIG)A 620 CHAIN AND SPROCKETS,THE HEAVY DUTY A ARMS,BEASTLY REAR HUBS HECK EVAN THE FRONT BUMPER IS BETTER ON THE DS,IT WOULD WEIGH CLOSE TO THE DS...I BROUGHT HOME A DS BEFORE THE RAPTOR I COMPAIRED THEM SIDE BY SIDE AT THE DEALER AND THERE WAS NO COMPAIRING THEM FROM THE REAR THE RAPTOR LOOKER LIKE A TOY THE DS LIKE A MACHINE,YAMAHA COULD HAVE DONE ALOT MORE IN THE AREA OF QUALITY.THEY REALY SKIMPED I FEEL.ANY WAY THE REAR SHOCK WAS BLOWN ON THE DS AND I DIDNT WANT TO WAIT FOR IT TO GET FIXED SO TO A RAPTOR I WENT..IVE ALWAYS RIDDEN A LT500 QUADZILLA,TRAILS AND SAND WITH NO REVERSE WIDE STABLE AND HAULS ***.IF THE DS HAD REVERSE ID SELL BOTH OF MY RAPTORS TOMORROW.IF YOU ARE USED TO BIG AND WIDE ID GO WITH THE DS.IF YOU ARE USED TO A SHEE OR BLASTER ID GO WITH THE RAPTOR.THE REVERSE ON THE RAPTORS IS NICE AS LONG AS THE TRANNY DOESNT GIVE OUT.ID LIKE TO SEE A STOCK RAPTOR AND DS 650 SHOOT OUT.THE DIRT WHEELS SHOOT OUT WAS A HOAX,HOW DO YOU COMPAIR TWO QUADS ONE WITH 1600,WORTH OF SUPENSION MODES AND ONE WITH OUT ? YAMAHAS SELLING THERE NAME AND CAME UP WITH THE RAPTOR TO GO WITH IT,BOMBARDIER REALY PUT SOME THOUGHT AND WORK INTO THE DS.,,,,TO BE HONEST I HAVE HAD NO REAL PROBLUMS WITH EITHER OF MY RAPTORS AND RIDE THEM HARD EVERY CHANCE I GET.STICKER ON A RAPTOR SHOULD BE 5300.00.

Old 10-16-2001, 07:56 PM
EDD
Trailblazer

sorry about the caps i didnt notice it till i posted.

Old 10-17-2001, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

Wow. Thanks for all the input guys. Im seriously thinking about the DS now because im used to a larger quad. But it still might be a while before a get a new quad though.

Old 10-17-2001, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

Nice Post 3TV!....The "BIG" thing is what it really comes down to. If you are big or just like big,,, and fast, get the DS. If you are a wirey guy and like to fly and wheelie and MX, then get the Raptor.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
......Try this one on for size. Ride the Raptor, Drive the DS....The Raptor is part of your pants. If that's what you want it is awesome. The DS is a cruise missile with handlebars, A mini-off-road Ferrari.
Enjoy.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]