Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

warrior engine miss

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-1999, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have a 99 warrior and it started missing about a month ago. If I am running it hard when I hit about 4th gear it dies like it ran out of gas, but has a full tank. If I pull the choke out I can make it back up to the house. If I get back on it an hour or so later it runs fine in 1st through 3rd gears but if I start to get on it in about 4th gear it starts it again. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-25-1999, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer

Have you cleaned the air filter? If so you may want to take a part the carb and clean every thing with some carb cleaner. If that does not work, you may want to drain the gas and put some more (93 octane) in it. Never had thta happen to mine.

96 Banshee and 96 Warrior

Old 12-26-1999, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chevyll,
If it runs okay with the choke closed, it's telling you that the air mix is too high for the gas mix. Have you made any changes in your air box/filter/exhaust system? Any or all of these things can cause a lean condition when you get 3/4 throttle and are running on the main jet.

------------------
THE AZ HARD PACKER, calmiller@kachina.net

save the public land FOR you, not FROM you..join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @ www.sharetrails.org

Old 12-26-1999, 03:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

If I get on it at first I can run it wide open through all 6 gears and it runs fine for about 10 15 minutes and it warms up and starts acting up. Could it be a fuel or air problem if it will run through the gears fine one time and then not the next? Thanks for the help. Also this is completely stock no changes at all. and I have not even got that many hours on it. I do run high octane gas in it and I have changed it and it did not help any.
[This message has been edited by Chevyll (edited 12-26-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Chevyll (edited 12-26-1999).]

Old 12-27-1999, 01:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I just took the switch off the bottom of the clutch lever,( the switch that lets you start the atv in gear if you pull the clutch in), and I taped it in so the switch could not come back out and it seems to run fine but I still do not know what to do to fix it permanent. Any help please let me know. Thanks

Old 12-27-1999, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

You should try the carbarator check the floats and spray carb cleaner threw the jets

Old 12-28-1999, 03:03 AM
Trailblazer

In my short experience with the Warrior I've noticed you have to get it really warmed up, like 15-20 minutes of average riding, before determining how it's running, whether good or bad. For instance, right after I bought my Warrior it developed a running problem where it wouldn't run below about 3000 rpm once it was warmed up, and even then it was obvious it was running very rich. I tried just about everything to figure out the problem--removed the parking brake rev limiter switch and also ran a new reverse lever ground wire. I finally pulled the carb as a last resort and found a little bit of jel around the main jet as well as a few other places, probably old fuel gunk from sitting on the showroom floor. At any rate, I sprayed the guts of the carb out with carb cleaner, blew the heck out of it with compressed air, and it's run fine since. If you haven't done any recent mods to the intake system my guess would be that you've gotten a contaminant in the carb from either the fuel or the intake system. Before you dig too deep though, make sure the air filter is clean, and have a good plug in it as an incorrectly gapped plug (too wide) will also cause a high-speed miss once it gets good and warmed up--I learned this recently by not paying attention when gapping the plug. :>)

Old 12-28-1999, 04:21 PM
Range Rover

I have the same problem with my 2000 Wolverine.

Old 01-02-2000, 09:00 PM
Trailblazer

I have a friend with a '00 warrior and it is doing the same thing, dies in about 4th gear and won't start for a couple of minutes. The air filter is clean and he runs fresh 93 octane gas. Also the engine is 100 percent stock. Has anyone been able to figure out what is causing this?
Mike
'00 400EX

Old 01-03-2000, 01:10 AM
Trailblazer

I seriously doubt a specific gear has anything to do with the problem. When my 2000 Warrior acted up right after I got it, it only started running badly once I did any type of agressive riding, and I definitely think there was a problem with the needle valve sticking open allowing too much fuel in the float bowl, as I could see gas dripping from the overflow hose--I guess this would have caused it too rich way too rich. Your friend could be having the same problem or it could just the opposite--sticking closed (or partially closed) and not letting enough fuel in to fill the bowl causing it to basically run itself out of gas. At any rate, one place to check is the needle valve and/or float adjustment, and I'd check any running condition (rich or lean) before checking any electrical components...just my two cents. Oh yea, one more thing...if it's under warranty, let the dealer fix it!

Quick Reply: warrior engine miss