Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

720 Raptor vs. DS-703

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not trying to start a bashing war here, but the subject has come up befor and I wanted to share the results. As some of you know, I build big bore DS-650's and am proud of my work. Several of you have posted claims of what a big bore Raptor will do, and I wanted to let you all know the results of an encounter between a proper running 720 Raptor and one of my customers 703 motors.

On there initial meeting, after several races up comp hill at Dumont, the Raptor was taking him by about 1/2 quad length. Yes, I'm posting that the Raptor won. The next day, they raced a couple more times with the Raptor winning by a larger margin, untill the DS owner realized he was running with a flat tire.[duh] After airing back up, he went Raptor hunting again, to find the Raptor had lost a clutch.

When you look at the fact that the 703 motor only goes for $2400 and was running at the end of the weekend[my kits beef up the clutch to prevent these failures], I think 1/2 quad length is close enough for me to be proud. It also tells me that one of these 720's doesn't have much of a chance against one of my 760's[10 more HP than the 703]. I know the recoarse is coming after this gets posted here in ya'll's forum, but I hope it can be intelligent and clean. I actually look forward to hearing how Raptor720 will respond to/defend the show down. I already can imagine the standard responce- "the Raptor won, enough said". I'm just looking at the fact that it bairly won, that's enough to let me know that my 760's will dominate.

Old 10-28-2001, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

You are correct. A 1/2 quad length is not a lot, but you also said the raptor lost a clutch. Could it be that the raptor's clutch was slipping on the way to failure that it was only able to win by 1/2 a quad??? Also, what about a raptor 760 ?? It should have the same results as this race. Anyway, I'm sure they both run fine. One more thing, if the guy is willing to spend 2,400 on the motor, don't you think he should spend another 200 to get a spare set of tires? Had to throw one smart comment in.

Old 10-29-2001, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

I thought about the clutch thing, but remember, he was winning by a larger margin the second meeting[flat tire races], if his clutch was slipping progressivly worse, he wouldn't have been still running as strong the second time.

A spare set of paddles? I've got customers that spend $8,000-$10,000 on motors that don't bring out spare paddles. I don't know of too many people that have that. He runs competition cut Paddle Brats, and they tend to leak air through the tire since the rubber is shaved down to the threads. He just needed to air them up that morning.

Old 10-29-2001, 03:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

One thing is for sure, alot of Raptor and Bomb owners better do something, I just dont see the performance coming out of these machines. I cannot understand why the Banshee seemingly has been relegeted to 3rd or 4th place on the High perfomance chart. At Buttercup this weekend, the Banshees are still walking away from everything else, save for a couple of trikes with CR 500 motors and what not. If it takes $5000 grand to make something run right, something just aint right! Anyhow, lets hope the Raptor and DS guys start getting these quads to run, we Banshee owners get tired of racing banshees only... As far as Quadzillasf, I only saw 3 or 4 of them this weekend, and only one would race, which I thought was odd, considering the LT 500 is one bad machine...

RoostKing...

Old 10-29-2001, 10:05 AM
Range Rover

Roostking

What? Your post makes no sense to me.

Old 10-29-2001, 10:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<< that's enough to let me know that my 760's will dominate >>

What kind of hp does the 760 have? What does the Ron Woods stage 3 kit claim?

Old 10-29-2001, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

I have nothing but respect for the DS, it is the one machine that gives me a run for my money, I usually win out on the techincal trails and the DS often beats me in the sand. should be an interesting match up but I am guessing the 720 will best the 703 but that DS760 will probably best everyone

Old 10-29-2001, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

Base level 760[stock valve size, mild cams, mild porting] puts out about 70 RWHP in 100 degree weather. Much more is available with larger valves, cams, and porting.

Ron Woods stage 3 showed 58 rear wheel HP as posted in the June 2000 issue of Dirt Wheels magazine.

Roostking, I have a Banshee myself with the standard bolt ons and a little port work. It's not even a compairison. I have to ride the Banshee when my girlfriend come riding with me because , although it is MUCH slower, it's harder to ride. [She isn't very good at keeping a bike in it's powerband] It takes a seriously built Banshee to hang with a 760.

Old 10-29-2001, 02:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dont get me wrong. I in no way think my Banshee with bolt on would be anywhere close to something like that, but it just seems like alot of money, on top of a $6500 quad purchase, to make these respectable. Maybe it is cause they are new and people are trying to get them sorted out, someone has to be the pioneer!! By the way, if I had my choice, Id go with the DS. I rode one and it was really nice and felt solid as all heck...

RoostKing...

Old 10-29-2001, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

Roostking,
The reason it costs more money to get the same amount of horsepower out of a 4 stroke engine is because of the very fundamental differences in the way they work. The 4 stroke is much more complicated in design, so more things need to be modified or replaced to get them to all work well together. It has lots of parts a banshee doesn't have like cams, things associated with the valve train etc. Plus it's generally accepted that a modded 4 stroke will hold up longer than a modded 2 stroke. I'm sure Knutz could enlighten us on how much more there is to a 4 stroke than the relatively simple design of a 2 stroke.
I have a fairly fast modified banshee that could likely run with or spank the modified DS's and Raptors in drag racing but for all around riding it's nice to be able to lug a 4 stroke around without &quot;working&quot; to keep it in a narrow powerband.

Quick Reply: 720 Raptor vs. DS-703