Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Stranded Wolverine!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2000, 08:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It started out as a killer day in the snow of Western Washington. We were riding at a place called Walker Valley. We had ridden about 15 miles up into the fresh powder and decided to go for altitude. We began traversing the mountain sides on logging roads. We bounced around in the 4x4 trucks ruts for 3-4 miles and soon were able to blow right by them due to the depth of the snow(2-4 feet). The quads were right up on top of the crust and as long as you kept going, you wouldn't fall through. We Made it about another 3 miles and that was it!! Even the Grizzly got stuck. At this point, it was all we could do to get turned around. Good thing we all had winches and straps. We headed back down the mountain and got down where the snow was only 8-10 inches. That's when the fun really starts! Wide open down the roads!! We were sliding all over the place. I decided to take a short cut between to logging roads through a clearcut. You couldn't see the ground but could tell where the trail was. Right at the bottom, there was a small stick pointing at me. I thought I turned just in time to get the front tire around it but it wedged in front of the tire then broke away. All seemed fine as we bounced back up on the road and floored it! I happen to glance back to see that everyone was together when through the smoke I saw the guy on the grizzly waving his arms wildly. then the smoke rolled up in front of me. I locked em up and jumped off the bike to see what was wrong. Oil was Everywhere!!! That stick had smacked the fitting on the bottom of the oil cooler and caused it to split on the intake side.I lost over two quarts of oil and that makes a major mess!! Luckily I got shut down before any engine damage occurred. Bummer was I was a long way from the truck and the trails to get there were knarly! Time for the Grizzly!! We hooked up and began the trek. Down we go. Many times I thought I was gonna roll that thing. We would get in a spot wher the trail would cut hard one way and It was all I could do to stay out of the ruts as the grizz forced me to follow a little sooner than I liked. We came to some hill climbs of slimy clay that I was sure we were not gonna both make it, but with the endless power of the Grizz and some serious gonads we went for it spinnig all the way to the top. I was covered head to toe in mud and oil and couldn't see anthing through my face shield. We finally made it down to the lower roads and back to the trailer. My brake pads were beyond worn and it barely stop in the parking lot.
A little JB Weld and oil change, I should be ready for the next ride!!
I had to tell someone!

------------------
Mud_Runner 98' Wolverine,Warn Winch, Aluminum Skid plate, A-arm guards.

Old 01-10-2000, 06:35 AM
Range Rover

Great story, but I don't know if I'd trust my bike's life to a little JB Weld. I think I'd look into getting her brazed or something more permanent. My weekend didn't go too hot. Me and the boys got all drunked up at my housewarming party and decided to hop on the bikes. Off we went at 2:00am, into to the woods of Southern New Brunswick, Canada in -20c temperatures. We were out for a couple of hours, mainly just riding from beer break to beer break, when we came to a cemi-frozen over brook. The 2 guys in front of my broke through, dropped a couple feet, but kept going. I decided I'd be smart and take the pass less taken. Well when my front broke through, and my head lights dissapeared, I thought "no big deal", it's happened lots of times before and they always come back up. Well they didn't. By the time my back tires broke through, all that could be seen of my bike was the handle bars, and the headlights under the water. Now it's 4:am, freezing cold, middle of nowhere, I'm soaked, and I'm really STUCK. We broke 2 ropes trying to get her out, and eventually had to make a human chain and lift as we pulled. We got her out and when I pulled the plug on my air box, water poured out for almost a minute. We pulled the spark plug out and pulled and pulled on the rip cord for about 10 minutes, with water shooting 2 feet from my spark plug hole the entire time. Some how we got it going after about an hour. The only reason I could even still stand is because I had been putting my feet on another bike's exhaust pipe while I wrang out my boot liners and slammed down some Alpine beer (maritimer's antifreeze). I got home just before frostbite set in.
My headlights both blew out on the way home because of the water, and when I changed my oil yesterday, it came out WHITE! I also had to drain my airbox again, as well as drain and refill both of my differentials.
It wasn't really a fun experience, but it definatly was a memorable one. We'll be talking about this one for a while to come.

Old 01-10-2000, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

I have heard of JB Weld being used on everything from engine cases to holding the bottoms of shoes on. I have seen a few guys with 250 MX bikes use it to fix a hole in the transmission, so when my chain put a hole in mine, that's what I used. So far, no problems.