Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Dealer Questions and Gripes

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2000, 01:46 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are test rides common in certain areas and not others. I just bought a pair of new Polaris quads over a pair of Yamaha quads. I am right now a little shocked about the dealers I have encountered shopping for our units.

The local Yamaha dealer in Southern New Hampshire told me flat out, there is no such thing as a test ride. You buy it and ride it, and no refund.

I was looking for a Warrior for my son and a Grizzly with a plow and winch for me. I wanted a pair of quads and a trailer, and I was prepared to buy.

I had the toughest time even talking to anyone there. I first had to prove my son was in fact 16, which was a major pain, and then I was told to buy and take 'em, no test ride.

"The Warrior is a good bike, no need to test it, I don't want him ripping *** around the lot" When I offered to drive the machine instead of him, I was told "No test rides, I told you."

I ended up buying a pair of Polaris units in the NH lakes reigon. I am very happy with both machines and take delivery of this weekend. The dealer offered me a test ride on a unit he had on the floor of my Magnum 500, and let my son test ride a used Scrambler for an afternoon on the trails near the store. He took a copy of my license and loaded the quad on HIS trailer and sent us off for the day. I spoke to him for less than five minuites the day before!

Hell, the guy offered me a written warranty to take them back within a month if I hated them, no questions asked.

The other 'local' Polaris dealer told me the same damn thing as the Yamaha dealer. No test rides, no one offers them. I drove over 100 miles each way to get a pair of quads from what I thought was a decent dealer.

I ended up buying them from the distant Polaris dealer only after finding him thru Polaris' website. It was sheer luck to find this place.

Do you really have to drive 100 miles to find a descent dealer, or have other people had similar experiences? Were you allowed to test drive your machine? Was your local dealer rude, or did you have to hunt high and low and end up falling in crap and coming up with the proverbial pearls?

Thanks,

Jack

------------------

Old 01-14-2000, 09:50 AM
Range Rover

I had the exact same problem with dealers in Florida and eventually bought my atv 185 miles from where I live! The dealers that said "no test drives" required a down payment/deposit on the machine I planned to test drive and buy, if I didn't like that model I could apply my deposit toward another machine. I politely informed each salesperson using this sales tactic that if they persisted with their line of thinking, they would not get my business. They didn't budge and neither did I.
It sounds like you found a decent dealer
to do business with. I found only two dealers willing to let me test drive an atv, and I do not have to prove I'm over 16.

Old 01-15-2000, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer

The problem really isn't the dealer, it's lawyers and legislators. I am really surprised that any dealer let you 16 yr old son ride a Scrambler.

You see, atv's have been demonized by the press and lawmakers so much that safety courses and other "lawyer proof" extremes are the norm when buying an ATV.

If the average Joe walks into the store, test drives an ATV and gets hurt, God have mercy. The lawyers will be beating the door down.

We live in a litigious society and any sort of minimal risk or liability can mean the difference between a successful business and some lawyer and an idiot client shutting you down.

Old 01-16-2000, 01:20 AM
Trailblazer

thunderthud an other members i just bought a bigbear for my wife in the south atlanta areaand stupid oll me didnt test drive it.now ive got a unit thats hard to shift called the dealer he said to rock the unit.what kind of BULL is this. he also said this ic common with bear.I SEE WERE IT GETS IT NAME!!! I also ask the dealer why didnt they tell me this there was no comment.youre better off to ride 200 miles to test what you are buying. I will! we disliked this atv so bad that i went and bought her a 450ES last fri. it shifts great just like my 450S. yes we did test drive it.if you live close to jones. ga. go see the fine folks at MOTOSPORTS HONDA YOULL BE GLAD YOU DID!

Old 01-16-2000, 05:07 AM
Trailblazer

Nothing new. Most dealers don't want you do sit on it, let alone test drive. Most don't have an area to test it out on anyway.

YFS200

Old 01-16-2000, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tdhusker is right; the dealer who knowingly let an under-16-year-old test-ride a full-size quad probably risks his franchise.

Manufacturers require dealers to sign agreements not to sell to under-age riders as a condition of carrying new quads. tdhusker alludes to the reasons; fall-out from the previous litigation and enactment of the Consent Decree (although now expired, the industry doesn't want another one, or worse).

The industry regards dealers who knowingly allow under-age riders as threats to their livelihood, for reasons in tdhusker's post.

Now, imagine you're a great insurance company representative; say, an agent of Lloyd's of London. An ATV dealer approaches you, asking for a liability policy.

"I want coverage, several million dollars, insuring no personal injury or property damage occurs when I allow minors under 16 years of age, with no driver's license nor known training, to test-ride machines capable of speeds around 60 mph. How much is the premium?"

What's your answer? A private automobile owner pays for insurance, but that's just for his household, licensed and with known driving records, and few vehicles. How does the risk multiply, with the many vehicles of an ATV dealership and an unlimited supply of eager, under-age, juveniles of unknown education, behavior and character?

I know, I know; all underage juveniles reading this are responsible, mature, safe ATVers, who wouldn't abuse any dealer's machines or the privilege of riding one. However, one, just one, irresponsible or incompetent dangerous rider, and his liability lawyers, could wind up owning the whole dealership and all the owner's money and property, judgment from an accident.

Now, young friends, before you sit down at your keyboard and begin writing your E-hatemail messages to ol' Tree Farmer, please remember--I'm only the messenger. I never said young folks should be denied the saddle of an ATV; I personally think the issue should be decided on an individual basis by caring, responsible, informed parents. However, the insurance companies look on the big picture, considering maximum risk, not the many low-risk situations involving safe, mature young people.

Any ideas on how dealers can offer test rides affordably without the risks of ruin they now face?

Tree Farmer

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 01-16-2000).]

Old 01-16-2000, 11:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

You are all correct in your responses.

When you go to purchase a car the dealer lets you test drive it. When I went to buy my Harley Davidson the dealer let me test drive like models after signing a release from liability form and showing proof of license.

You would think that the ATV dealers could let you test drive new ATV's.

Some things to think about.

After test driving a car or motorcycle they are returned in new condition to be sold at full retail. When riding an ATV chances are that the machine may come back with some branch scratches, mud, etc. Possibly sold at a later date for a reduced retail.

I don't know about you guys but when I purchase anything new, I want it in "right out of the box" condition.

Also, despite the fact that the Harley dealer lets the public test drive new models after signing a release, doesn't mean that if something were to happen during the ride that the release wouldn't be challenged in court. Laws, contracts, releases, etc. are challenged in court everyday.

Old 01-16-2000, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

Right, Ahamay! Those "releases" appear basically cosmetic devices, designed to intimidate the customer into thinking he has waived his right to sue.

Actually, the right cannot be "waived," if negligence can be "proven" against another party. Thus, even waivers provide at most only limited protection to the dealer.

A very considerate and customer-friendly dealership nearby allows test-rides, provided the rider (and prospective customer) wears a helmet. However, I have (rightly) been shooed from this same dealership's service area, where I attempted spectating repairs to my quad, for insurance reasons (no, not because I'm a nuisance, although perhaps I am!).

Also, upon pickup, the staff insists upon loading ATV's on customers' trucks or trailers while on company property; another insurance terms consideration, I'm sure.

Bottom line: Don't assume a dealer's policies spring only from old meanies' ugly attitudes designed to deprive their customers of some fun; instead, there may be hard, cold, economic reasons behind policies limiting customers' access.

I think most dealers would like to play Santa Claus, giving their customers carte blanche in "trying-on" merchandise for sale; however, in the real world, I don't believe this concept affordable.

Tree Farmer

Old 01-16-2000, 04:50 PM
Trailblazer

I wasn't looking to 'have a good time." I was a customer looking to spend almost $13,000 in his dealership.

I wasn't about to just drive off with something I had not even had started up for me. I was offened at the whole attitude of the operation.

I understand all the insurance reasons for not allowing my son to test drive the unit. Though I was purchasing it for him, a month after his 16th birthday. But I wanted to test drive the units. I wanted to putt around the lot, I didn't want to rip *** down trails and jump cliffs. I did however want a few minutes with a major purchase. I even offered to test a used unit he had.

I think that I had certain rights about policies that apply to items I can't evaluate for myself that cost in excess of $5000! That ain't chicken feed, that's a chunk of change. I had questions and concerns that ANY consumer would have. And to be told, "pay up or get out", isn't how I want to spend my money.

I was glad when I stumbled across the Polaris dealer who took the time to answer my questions, and the test drive for an afternoon was incredible. He handed over a used unit, and his own trailer, he didn't have to do that, the ride I had in the parking lot was suffiecent for me. I wanted to know what I was buying, and ther dealer made sure I knew. Hell, he put the icing on the cake for us with the afternoon test drive. We returned the unit with a full tank and made sure we washed it off after we got it dusty.

I think anyone who spends that much money wants to feel the same way. I wanted to evaluate the machine for myself, not just take the advice of people saying, "Polaris Sucks, or Honda's the best or Yamaha is crap" I wanted to know what was the best fit for me.

I think any dealer should be willing understand the customer knows he is spending quite a bit of money, and wants to make sure he isn't buying too much or too little, to uncomfortable or too small. It's like Goldilocks trying to find the right porrige.

If you were buying a car, you'd be through the roof if the salesman said: "Sorry, buy it or get out, no test drive, no return"

When you buy a car, it is covered by the MacArthur Statement allowing you to back out of the sale within 48hr of the sale, minus reasonable rental fees.

I am pleased with my machines, they were all prepped yesterday. On the trailer, and in the garage for my approval. I was able to test them in the lot for as long as I wanted, and they had everything we had discussed ready and waiting. I felt good about the whole transaction. (*So good that my son conned me out of a new full face helmet and jacket!*)

I think everyone has the right to feel the same way that they aren't buying something that just doesn't work for them. I bought what I now know is right for me and my son.

Thanks,

Jack

Old 01-16-2000, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

Thunderthud (F-105?), as I understand your account, you've just bought two brand new quads for cash. Truly, you're a man of distinction, a real big spender, and your Polaris dealer, by appointment to you, qualified you as such and extended the courtesy of an extended test ride. Good! His entrepreneurship, judgment, and willingness to take a risk paid off for himself and for you, a satisfied customer.

You appear an ideal customer; someone with buying power willing to buy. Not everyone entering the store is as responsible as you; further, the inconsiderate, the abusers, the dangerous ones don't wear distinctive uniforms or even jersies identifying themselves.

Buying an automobile presents a different situation; as a minimum, purchasers are licensed drivers; test-drive liability insurance remains an accepted cost of doing business in this arena, I should think. And while quads are expensive (I needn't tell YOU that!), automobiles cost more, leaving a larger dollar amount, percentage-wise, for insurance expense.

Imagine yourself an ATV dealer. What test-ride policy would you implement? How would you distinguish between responsible, considerate prospects like yourself, and the wild and reckless ones who threaten your livelihood and the industry? Would you buy expensive insurance, and pass the cost of premiums on to your customers?

No dealer myself, I don't have the answer. I wish everyone had the opportunity to test-ride every ATV they consider before they buy their own. Yet, I'm not ignoring the risks a dealer takes when he hands the keys of a demo quad to a prospect. Like you, I'm grateful for the consideration my local dealership extends me, permitting test rides; however, I don't consider contrary policies of other dealerships personally directed against me.

The dealer permitting test rides, for whatever rationale, possesses a decided sales advantage over those who do not; you've proven that point yourself.

Enjoy those new quads! Your son appears privileged indeed; new quad, new jacket, new helmet, too, at 16! What do you have in mind for his 21st birthday?

Tree Farmer

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 01-16-2000).]

Quick Reply: Dealer Questions and Gripes