Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Mods for 02 grizzly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2001, 01:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just got my 02 grizzly about a week ago and was wondering what anyone has aded to thiers. can 27" tires fit without rubbing(what exact size, front and back)? also, does anyone make an exhaust system for these yet? thanks for any input.

Old 11-03-2001, 02:47 AM
The Facility

As far as performance mods., I haven't had anyone ask me yet. I'll find out what I can about them though. As far as the tires are concerned, I don't think you would have a problem with 27" because I've got one sitting on the floor right now with 28" Mudzillas on ITP 12" chrome wheels. We have already serviced out the machine and clearance is fine although the rear fender mud flaps are VERY close. Steering is also fine. But this thing is VERY "tipsee". I emphasize the word very. I wouldn't go to that large of a tire if you ride agressively. It went to something you really roost with to something you wanted to stick your foot out on going into a turn. KNOWSALOT

Old 11-03-2001, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

knowsalot: you mentioned the tippy-ness of the grizzly with 28' tires. How wide are the tires, and are those rims stock offset?
I'm thinking 26" tires (maybe Mudrunners)9 or 10 inch fronts and 12 inch rears would be good. This quad has lots of clearance already as it is. I'm considering 1" wheel spacers as well for stability in really technical terrain. Anyone making these spacers yet? Are High Lifters' aluminum spacers available? Please let me know if you've tried these. I'm wondering if the extra width on the front end (leverage) affects the handling much.

Old 11-04-2001, 07:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Vortech,

I have an '02 grizzly with 27" ITP Blackwater XTs on it they do rub in the rear at the front mud flap when you are riding and the suspension is working they will like mine did clearance themselves. The fronts do not rub at all in any situation. White Bros. is working on a pipe in the e-series and has a part number already but no release date as of yet. K&n makes a filter which I have installed already. The bike isn't tipsy at all It just takes some getting use to when comparing it to a solid axle. I adjusted my front shock preload up one notch and it made a difference. The current tire size is 27x12x12 in the rear and 27x9x12 in the front the rims are ITP magnums 12x7 all the way around.The trick on the new Grizz is the use of front wheels on both ends.

As far as power mods go. My Grizzly will be going to Trinity Racing sometime this month according to my Boss. (we have a contract with trinity as dealership like team alba)They will be using my grizzly as a test bed for some engine kits and clutch mods they want to try out. They have already in the works a 680 and 727 Raptor kit. so I assume they will be heading that way with a grizzly kit.I will inform the forum when all this goes on and how and what the outcome is.

I have been in all kinds of terrain with my grizzly with this tire combination including the ATV jamboree in utah this past september and they performed flawlessly. I run the same tire combo on my '99 grizzly and when comparing the two grizzlies the differences in ride and trail handling are like night and day. It took me awhile to get use to the chacaristics of the indepentant suspension but after getting use to it and taking it over trails I was use to on my '99 I found that I really like the way the new one acts. Plus after a long days ride of 80-90 miles I'm not so wore out as I used to be on the '99. Hope this helps.........

Old 11-04-2001, 08:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the input 1BADGRIZZLY. i took mine out today for the first time and is is definitely different. i really love that rear suspension and i had no problems climbing anything i tried with that locker. i never got it over 35mph and was trying to take it easy and beak it in, but i have never liked something enough not to modify it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
i plan to do wheels and tires within the next couple of months and then i might look into some exhaust setups. please keep me posted on the tests the do on your grizz. thanks again

Old 11-04-2001, 10:29 PM
TDC
Trailblazer

I just finnished installing Highlifters new performance kit for the 660 Griz today. It included a jet kit, K&N filter and outerwear, and a Big Gun pipe. I gained lots of low end power. Im running 27" Vampires and with the kit I have no problem lifting the front end in high or low range. It didn't help the mid range or top end. I think it's running a little rich so hopefully once thats cured the mid and top end power will improve.

Old 11-05-2001, 12:24 PM
Range Rover

TDC,
How loud is the Big Gun Exhaust compared to stock?

-Jared

Old 11-05-2001, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

YukonRon,
I have 12"x7" ITP chrome rims with 28"x12"x12.5" Outlaws in the rear and 28"x12"x10.5" in the front of mine. There is more offset to the rims than stock rims. There is no tippiness what so ever with my machine. I really don't know where this VERY tippiness comes from. If you do the riding I think you will be doing (NO WORRYS). Now maybe if you go racing around sharp corners with aggressive outlaws then thats something else. There will have to be some triming of the fender closest to the tire though, and stiffening of the shocks. You could probably do with 26" or 27" tires with the clearance the machine already has. I had spacers on my machine but took them off, no need of them at all. Very stable as far as I am concerned.
Are you thinking about getting a new grizz? Seems to be a good machine so far for me. Very, Very fun to play on after the work is done. Just put the stock play tires back on her and watch it buggie.

Old 11-05-2001, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Larry.
Hoping to upgrade in spring, and the grizzly is tops on my list right now. I'm hoping the dealer will make me a deal to put something like 26" Mudrunners on the stock rims and not have to buy stock tires and second rims. I think that the 28" outlaws are too much tire for most of my riding. Glad to hear yours insn't tippy, maybe I'll wait and see with the spacers until I've ridden a while. Can't be any worse than my tippy old Polaris. Just changing from stock tires to the wider and flatter profile claws made a huge difference in the stability on the Polaris.

Old 11-05-2001, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

YukonRon,
How much would you give for a 2002 660 CAMO Grizz with 28" outlaws and crome ITP wheels, plus the original stock tires and wheels. It has the Warn whinch and less than 300 miles. (Excellent condition)

Quick Reply: Mods for 02 grizzly?