Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

first toasted 2002 raptor !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2001, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

went riding today and the chain snaped and poped a hole in the cases ..and gouged the carrier to crap ...my dealer told me they will probably replace the case half ..I said NO WAY ..I dont want no wrenched up quad ...they can put a new motor in it . a motor is never the same after the cases have been split . well I guess Ill have to wait and see what happens .

Old 11-04-2001, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

what are you talking about. As long as they know what they are doing, replacing the case half is no big deal

Old 11-04-2001, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

As long as it's done right, then there should be no problem. I think you have a pretty generous dealer. They are giving you a case half for free.

Old 11-04-2001, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

Good luck getting them to see it your way!

Old 11-04-2001, 01:39 AM
The Facility

How long have you owned this machine? Did the chain derail because it was loose or did it break? If it was loose and came off causing the damage Yamaha owes you nothing. If the chain broke and you have owned this machine for say less than two weeks, Yamaha should pay for a case.
Yamaha doesn't owe you an engine. Never in my years have I seen an OEM replace an engine no matter what the damage or circumstance. Get this guys, this is a perfect example. We've got a 2001 Suzuki GZ250 in the shop that suffered from an oil pump failure completely destroying the topend including the cylinder and cylinder head. Suzuki is replacing all the PARTS to fix it and pay the labor which came to over $3800.00!!! All this and a brand new 2002 model doesn't even cost that much!!! If your motor was to melt and drip on the ground in a puddle of alloy, you would still only end up with about 4 boxes of parts to build another. Doesn't make much economic sense but that's how all of them work. Go figure!

Old 11-04-2001, 05:26 AM
Pro Rider

It's got to be you Biggy, first all the problems with the DS, now this. Sorry to hear about this, but I'm guessing the others are right, you might have a hard time getting a new motor for a broken case.

Just make sure who ever splits the cases knows how to measure things like the crank play and so forth, so they can return it to the proper play. Too many mechanics simply put it back together the way it came apart, and the new cases may not measure out exactly the same.

Old 11-04-2001, 08:39 AM
Pro Rider

Yours is not the first toasted Raptor. I seen a Raptor get toasted back in the spring. The guy had a whole ten hours on it. This was at the Cochranton Poker Run. He was towed into the first rest stop. You should have heard all the $hit this guy was taking. Everyone was saying that his Raptor was alot quieter than they that it was going to be.

As for splitting your cases to fix your engine, this is really not that big of a deal for a qualified shop. We've never had a problem after doing so.

Please don't take offense to this but, your mentality is the type I dread for customers to have. I go all out to satisfy my customers but sometimes customers are so picky that you can never satisfy them. Their has been times I was able to do a little more for people. Their has also been times when I was trying to do all I could and then some, only to have the customer complain and bitch so much that he actually made his situation worse, not better. Like calling Yamaha because he thought I wasn't doing enough for him and found out I was doing more than I should. Which Yamaha quickly called me back to inform me that I was not permitted to do all the work I was origanally going to do. If the customer would have just let me do my job, he would have ended up alot better.

If you like and trust your ATV shop, then let them do all they can without giving them a hard time. If they are like me, they will do all they can for you and then maybe a little more.

Old 11-04-2001, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

1st no the chain did not derail it snaped and wound up on the countershaft
2nd I know how shops are . you think there going to order new rings? crank bearings ? I know when you split casses that it aplies side fourse to the bearings and that is not a good thing .and as knuts said most shops will just do the split and reassemble .not paying any attention to any specs. and from what I can tell my shop is like %99 of the others .there words were (weve never herd of any trouble with the raptor)
If I cant get them to replace the motor I will just weld it my self. Im not into letting some high school tech tear into my motor and fumble it back together .last but not least I need to mention this.has any one noticed that the stock raptor chain is a (520 DID japan) this chain in my book is listed as only being rated @ 400cc max motor size ?? My dealer says (ahhh you cant always go by that ) I say yea them manufactures dont no nutten about chains huh !!

Old 11-04-2001, 12:38 PM
The Facility

You will get a case, gaskets and MAYBE rings. I agree with Elroy, you are one of THOSE customers. Good luck getting any service from another dealer after this problem. Yamha has a data base for whiners like you.

Old 11-04-2001, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

You go ahead and show those factory mechanics and get yourself one Texas sized drum of J.B. Weld and do it the right way! Most cases come from the factory with bearings installed. If the cases don't come right apart, you use a case splitter ( no, not a log splitter ) and it applies no force to the crank or rod. If you only have a few hours on the machine, why in the world would they put in new rings?
Dude, just let them fix your machine.

Quick Reply: first toasted 2002 raptor !!!