Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HERE IS THE '02 RAPTOR TRANNY INFO. I FOUND

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 10:14 PM
The Facility
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K., I told you guys that I would do what it took and that's what I did. You guys would not believe the trouble it took to find it, but I found it interesting to say the least. Some of you may get bored but this is going to take a long explanation to tell you everything.

As it turns out, the Yamaha parts tech dept. in Georgia or California do not even have THEIR parts fiche for the '02 Raptor yet!
Ditto for all the service tech guys!! The service guys put me through to a guy named Steve that works closely with the engineering team that helps in laying out the service manuals for machines.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!

Now this guy knew most of the changes right off the top of his head because he says that the Raptor "fiasco" is his current project. He told me of the changes that he has already verified and changes that are obvious vendor changes but no change to the part itself. I took good notes on this subject so if any of it is wrong then it would mean that, sad to say, no one at Yamaha knows what the hell is going on.

What is causing all the confusion both for customers and at Yamaha, is the fact that no one knows when the transmission changes were implemented on the '01s. He says that all '02s have the new tranny, but so does roughly the last third of '01s produced.

Yamaha is currently in the process of tracking down build sheets to find the serial number range in which had the new tranny. That is part of the reason that no one has the fiche and info. on the '02{the '01 updated fiche and the '02 fiche will be on the same disc}.

The '02s have different center cases than the '01s. But the late '01s also have these new cases. The bores that hold the bearings for the transmission shafts are larger and will not work with early '01 shafts. Steve says to convert the early '01 to '02 transmission specs. would require '02 center cases,ALL shafts and ALL gears{the gears have larger inside diameters where it goes on the shaft.} Also the ratios are different for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears. And ALSO the #2 and #3 shift forks are different.

Just in case someone was interested in the swap when the parts become available, I looked up all the parts he said but for an '01 just for comparison because no one knows the pricing on the '02 stuff yet. The ammount came to $1896.72 {Yam. sugg. list}

In case I confused anyone I have a list at the bottom seperating the changes so that maybe you guys could see what I'm talking about. Also some other changes that Steve told me about and waht he knew about the change if he did. Most of them are simply vendor changes.

Regarding Transmission:

[1] New center cases

[2] Larger diameter transmission shafts

[3] New larger shaft bearings

[4] ALL gears have larger centers for the larger shafts

[5] 2nd, 3rd, and 4th have different ratios.[1st and 5th have same ratio as before but with larger center.

[6] Clutch forks #2 and #3 are different [Fork #1 remains the same]

OTHER CHANGES:
[1] Connecting rod [same piston and crankshaft]

[2] Carburetor boot clamps [more clamping force]

[3] Rear wheels and wheel hubs [vendor change only]

[4] Choke cable [no one knows yet, but is suspected vendor change]

[5] Wiring harness and some electricals[He is researching on that one]

[6] Stronger engine mounts [upper and lower]

Remember guys that if any of this is wrong, please don't raise the roof at me. I'm just trying to help you guys out. I don't even own a Raptor. I said that I would check for you and that's what I've done. Besides, I was just the middle man in this one. Hope it helps.

KNOWSALOT.

Old 11-06-2001, 10:30 PM
Lou
Trailblazer

Knowsalot,
Your information is very informative and greatly appreciated. I hope there's some kind of recall for the early '01's. Maybe Yamaha might admit there's a problem with the tranny's(not). Wishful thinking doesn'thurt.

Old 11-06-2001, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

knowsalot i just wanna say i'm glad your here. i read your very first post and i thought, this guy is gonna be good. you haven't been here long but already you've done so much for the board. thank you on behalf of all the members of the atvconnection forums.

Old 11-06-2001, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the great info KNOWSALOT, anyone know how many 01's Yamaha produced, so I can divide it by 3 and see where I stand [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

JPBRaptor

Old 11-06-2001, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

knowsalot,

did he say anything about yamaha considering a recall ??

If not could you call him back and find out ??

Old 11-06-2001, 11:34 PM
The Facility

While I'm sure documents wihin Yamaha tell how many were produced. NO ONE will see them until all of them are actually sold. Typically, the only way to find out production number runs on machines are by total registered units. Which to put in plain English, it is based on machines sold. While this could be found out, it would be misleading considering that I know some dealers who have NEVER sold a Raptor. As long as they still sit on the floors, one could only guess the numbers. A little later this Fall, a report is issued showing the regions in which particular units were sold in mas quanities. I can't remember, but I don't think it tells just how many are still unsold. The last time we checked for a customer to locate an '01 there was like 2,000 unsold Raptors in the states. We acquired four from another dealer and still have two left. I'll have to do some digging on finding production numbers. I am not promising a result this time because I don't think I can access one. KNOWSALOT.

Old 11-06-2001, 11:45 PM
RIP Dear Friend

KNOWSALOT
Thanks for the information. You know my opinion on you being here. With this information it could mean I had better shift easy since I am not in the roughly last one-third of production. I was left out in the case or I mean left out in the cold with no place to shift too.

Chet

Old 11-06-2001, 11:50 PM
The Facility

Don't look for a re-call. From my conversation with him, he actually made the comment about some guys wanting the update for their '01s. From what I gathered, this was an improvement campaigne and not a safety or quality control issue, which would make it a re-call.

I know that alot of you are probally fuming about buying your machine, then to find out a little later that an updated version. Trust me, I understand. But realize the fact that this a good thing. Updates every year on amachine is very rare in the sport category. Only good things come from it.

A perfect example would be the QuadRacer 250s that Suzuki had during the big Hi-performance era.[I actually have an '88 as a project right now] These machines were updated EVERY YEAR. Each year Suzuki made a change, some were minor, some were great. Honda did the same thing with the R from '87 to '88. It only made those machines more competitive and made the competition go back to the drawing board year after year.

While I see the reason that most of you are disgruntled,I do understand, But there is even a bigger reason to be happy as hell. Hey, if nothing else, yours is closer to pay off than an '02. Just wait till the '03[maybe something else new]and buy one of them. Then YOU will be one up on the '02s. Just a thought. Have a good one. KNOWSALOT. P.S. NOTICE THAT HE SAID ROUGHLY ONE THIRD OF THE "01s HAVE THE UPDATE. REMEMBER THAT HE SAID THEY ARE STILL RESEARCHING. IT MAY END UP NOT BEING AS MANY AS THEY THOUGHT, THEN IT COULD BE MORE. WHEN I HEAR A NUMBER, I WILL DEFINETLY POST THEM. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE NICE WORDS CHET. TALK TO YA LATER.

Old 11-07-2001, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for your time and effort. Your're top notch.

Old 11-07-2001, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

thanks for the info
mine is in the shop for the tranny problems
right now I have 21/2 years left on the warranty
so I'll keep taking it back every year when it
breaks and when the warranty runs out she'll
be put up for sale hopefully honda will have a big
bore by than and I won't have to worry about it
I'm glad I have a good dealer because they have
done everything to make me happy by the way it was
the dogs on my 2 gear that broke and that screwed
up 3gear also they are even going to rering it
at my request the bike is one year old early cal.
model

Quick Reply: HERE IS THE '02 RAPTOR TRANNY INFO. I FOUND