Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

RAPTOR VS BANSHEE

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 01:01 PM
EDD
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off let me say im by no means trying to start a argument.
i have not raced a banshee,,,my brother in law has a banshee thats ported and polished spiffy diffy pistons pipes ect.i have a raptor with full procircuit exhaust with out the spark arrestor,dyno jet pro flow..
can i take him ? im an experienced rider thats not the quetion,power to power can i win ? ill get to race him next weekend and want to know what to expect....
thanx EDD

Old 11-14-2001, 01:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Your brother-in-law could easily be pushing 55-60 horses. Be safe and race him a short distance on loose terrain.

Old 11-14-2001, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

Hey EDD. I finally got a chance last weekend to race a variety of different quads on a hard pack(clay) drag strip @ Haspin Acres. Traction was pretty awesome, so no one really had an advantage off the line. I raced many Banshee's with mod's from just pipes to full out mod's. I beat quite a few, but there were a few that I took off the line, and then they passed me like I was standing still on the big end. I am 220lbs., so that didn't help the cause, but everything being equal with you and your brother in-law, you will most likely be beaten. Good luck!

Old 11-14-2001, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

Edd, you didn't mention what you mean by "take him". If you mean in the woods in with loose traction, yes if you are a good rider. If you mean a flat out dragrace on a dirt road, you better wear your goggles because your going to need them. He's going to waste you BAD if his machine runs good. They are different machines, I know I have a souped up 'Shee and a piped, jettet, and filtered Raptor. I love them both.

Old 11-14-2001, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer

I am neither a Raptor or Banshee owner, but I have seen them race. I have a 400ex with several mods and I can beat stock Banshees and hang with side by side with Raptors until I hit 4th gear. That's when the Raptor starts to pull away but only by about 2-3 quad lengths.

However, from what I have seen personally and what I have read in Dirt Wheels Magazine, Both Banshees and Raptors top out about the same when they are in stock condition. I understand that both your Raptor and your Brother-in-law's Banshee are both tricked out. Raptors are fast. But tricked-out Banshees are frightning. If I were to take a wild guess on who will win, I think I would take the Banshee over the Raptor. I do however believe that if you keep your front end down on the ground on the start, you will get a good lead over the Banshee.

See, because Banshees are 2-strokes, they are high-strung if you know what I mean. They are only good when they are being ridden aggresively at high speeds with high rpm's. So theororetically, the Banshee gets its peak horsepower at a certain point of it's powerband which happens to be the top end. As for the Raptor, it has more torque then the Banshee. Especially at lower rpm's. If you can keep your front end down on the start on your Raptor, it's torque will pull you away from the Banshee. I don't know if you have ever ridden a Banshee before, but I have ridden one once and they like to "spin" a lot in lower gears because that 2-stroke power is so hard-hitting.

Anyway, I believe that you have a chance against your brother-in-laws Banshee, but still banshee's are extremely fast and especially the tricked out one's are hard to beat. Good luck though!!!!!

Fourtracker14

Old 11-14-2001, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

As a former banshee owner (tricked out), I can tell you there is nothing quite like a shee on the power band, but they generally dont have anything in the low end, so if you can keep it in the turns, bumps, and twists he wont stand a chance. depends on his mods but if he can keep the power on (and a flat track)you will have a race on your hands, however, you should be able to take him in most conditions

Old 11-14-2001, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

get him with a 2nd gear start...works like a charm!

Old 11-14-2001, 05:34 PM
Range Rover

joeyd-

Will I harm my stock clutch if I drag starting in 2nd gear?

Old 11-14-2001, 07:32 PM
Range Rover

edd; How about you telling us the results when you & your brother-in-law get together for a good old fashion race. That way no one will have to guess the outcome, because you'll have all the facts....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-15-2001, 01:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Goggles a Must, Chest Protector highly recomended. watch out raptor the old dinasors gona getcha

Quick Reply: RAPTOR VS BANSHEE