Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Suggestions for Tires/upgrades on a '02 660 Grizz

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone running the 27" Triclaw/Biclaws...did you mount them on the Grizz's stock wheels, or did you buy new offset wheels?

Busawon-why are you selling the 589's?

Silverbear

Old 11-25-2001, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer

seem to like the 30 to 60 range more then the o to 30 . but i needed the cash for my performance mods also.
will be buying another set at later date i just fiugure i run the stock for awhile.

Old 11-25-2001, 10:47 PM
Trailblazer

tires and wheels are sold

Old 11-26-2001, 08:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

SilverBear- I've got them on my 660. Used to have them on my 500AC before I sold it, and if I was buying tires again, I would get the same thing. Claws kick ***. I have them on ITP Delta chrome in the regular offset. Its the same rim front or rear, no difference between them. They have a wide offset wheel also, but I wouldn't get it. The regular offset is much wider than stock rims and really widens things out. It improved the stability by a landslide over the stock setup, even with the added height. Its harder to fit between trees now, but its not going over sideways unless under the most extreme situations. Probably even more stable than my AC was, and that thing was awesome on sidehills.

Claws would be a worthy investment. If you want more advice on them, talk to Cowboy in the AC forum. He'll shoot you straight.

Old 11-26-2001, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer

ANDY ARE THEY SAME TIRE OR DID YOU RUN THE TTRI AND BI CLAWS SET UP.

Old 11-26-2001, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

Andy,

Thanks for the advise, I really appreciate it. If you wouldn't mind, could you tell me why you went with chrome rims instead of aluminum? Have you encountered any rust issues with the chrome rims? Where would you suggest buying the ITP delta's? I am buying the Claws, but have been thinking about looking for a complete kit deal (rims and tires together). Lastly how do you honestly compare the AC500 with the Grizz 660? I've seen my father in law take his AC500 in places that have shocked me..and come out without using his winch.

Heck, while I'm shooting out questions, any suggestions on a 4X4 ATV for a wife? My wife is riding an 2001 AC300 4X4 manuel, but wants to upgrade (she wants something with an automatic), she's thinking about an '02 AC375 or an '02 400 Kodiak.

Thanks for all your input. I'll need to set up a personal web page so I can get some of our 4 wheelin pics up.

SilverBear

Old 11-27-2001, 11:12 AM
Range Rover

Where do i get the reverse limiter bypass switch this is the a real problem for me

Old 11-27-2001, 11:37 AM
Trailblazer

go to search put in the word reverse limiter

Old 11-30-2001, 02:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Bi Claw fronts and Tri Claw rears. I went with steel chrome on the AC500 originally and I couldn't find any negative about it. Sure aluminum is lighter, but hell, I'm not spending $100/wheel on a damn 4wheeler wheel. Thats nuts to me. I never felt any power loss going from stock rims to the ITP rims on the AC. I had the Claws on stock rims before I got the ITP's and there was no drawback. The ITP's made it wider and more stable.

When I sold it, I ditched the rims too, cause they don't fit anything but an AC. I got the steel chrome again for the Grizzly on the same principle. Paid $220 shipped both times I got them from Rocky Mountain ATV. Best price I could find, and believe me I looked.

On the Grizzly, it made a huge difference. The rims for the Grizzly are the same rim on all four corners. Same offset. They are more offset than stock easily, and with the wide offset and 12" rears, it made the Grizzly as stable on sidehills as my old Arctic Cat was. I didn't know that was possible. That thing was solid.

As far as a power loss, there is a difference in the speedometer easily, because of the large diameter affecting the reading it gives. You can feel slower acceleration, but keep in mind that the stock Yamaha tires are lightweight junkers, and are extremely easy to turn. I keep both for different situations. Tires don't pull as well up steep rough hills in high range. Takes more throttle. Obviously the tranny setup, cause it ain't the engine's fault. Low range will pull them anywhere.

If you want an idea of what it does to the speed, keep this in mind. I lined it up with a Rubicon on a dirt road and we both hit it. I was in 2wd and spun out bad and off he went. 50 yards later I blew past him like the damn tortoise and the hare. We lined up again, and this time I put it in 4wd. Talk about burnt toast! It was like a Warrior vs. a Big Bear 350. After about 75 yards I let off cause there was no point in going any further. I figure if I had the stock setup on, the guy might have sold his poor Rubi (though I will say that it is a great quad, just not a racer compared to the 600+ quads).

If you want a good all around setup with Mud capability just a cat hair less than an Outlaw, go for those Claws. They will indeed impress you. I'm sure the aluminum rims would perform better, but I wouldn't blow twice the money on them just to see the rocks of Northwest Arkansas tear the sides of them to shreds.

Old 11-30-2001, 02:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you want the same deal I did, I paid $396 for the Claws out of Highlifter, and $220 from Rocky Mountain for the rims. Cawood tire has a similar deal for Claws, but the Highlifter folks will get them to you quick. Took like 2-3 days to get mine. Of course, I live 280 miles from Shreveport also. Highlifter is a good company. They are just overly high on rims.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for Tires/upgrades on a '02 660 Grizz