Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Going to buy Raptor monday--- but do I need the Wolverine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2001, 01:58 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever put bigger tires on a sport quad to increase ground clearance?

Old 11-18-2001, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider

Rubicon4x4 dude, if you put tall enough tires to make a difference, you'd need a taller rear sprocket too, although combined with a tooth smaller front sprocket you might get somewhere, there'd still be a big ole sprocket down there in the mud. ( If you straight attemped to put say 25" mudders on the tail "stock." You'd have a nearly undriveavble raptor, big motor and all it'd pull like you were dragging a lumber trailer around on takeoff.

Chain drive vehicles just aren't all that fun in rough conditions, paticularly woods'n mud (where you can wind sticks and weeds into them and dip them in sandy mud for fast wear problems. Not to mention derailment that occasionally occurs from debris)

edit added: It's a major feat to just finnish the baja 1000 with many bikes requiring mods, and stops along the way. An average stock( okay no polaris [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ) ute could do it and take everything needed by itself, albeit not averageing 70 mph.

Old 11-18-2001, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

FYI - My $7000 Raptor sits in the garage while I ride my $2300 (used) scrambler in muddy conditions. If you ride in the mud or rocky terrian, you may regret buying the Raptor. I'm just lucky I have a couple of quads to choose from when I go riding, so I'm never disappointed.

Old 11-18-2001, 03:52 PM
Range Rover

If the wolverine was a selectable 2wd-4wd there would be no doubt in my mind my next quad would be the wolv. If I did get the wolverine I would definatly install a big bore kit or something along those lines. I love modding my vehicles & my quad would be no different.

I've read the past posts of wolverine owners wanting a selectable 2wd for their quad. But, has anyone ever found a solution that has actually worked?

THANKS,WILL

Old 11-18-2001, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

Here's an idea... buy a 250EX for your wife and a quad for yourself... don't be a SHMUCK and ride double!!!

Old 11-18-2001, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

I don't want any of the ladies to take this the wrong way, but my girlfriend is alot safer on back with me then she would be on her own quad. I don't think riding double is being a shmuck a all.

Old 11-18-2001, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

<< Has anyone ever put bigger tires on a sport quad to increase ground clearance? >>

I'm running 22&quot; tires in the back of my Banshee. Huge difference over the stock 20&quot; believe it or not. When I first got the Shee I was having trouble keeping up with all the other guys in my group because I was getting hung up on everything. A lot of the time you can take an alternate route around an obstacle to avoid getting hung, but sometimes there just is no way around it. I put the 22's on it and hardly ever drag bottom now, and when I do it's just a little scrape most of the time. Those 2 inches make a heck of a difference on the trails, and don't hurt it speed wise much at all. Sure, going around those MX style corners is a bit tricky, but the big power quads can do it pretty good once you get used to it.

<< I've read the past posts of wolverine owners wanting a selectable 2wd for their quad. But, has anyone ever found a solution that has actually worked? >>

Yeah, but a Scrambler. They are selectable 2x4 and 4x4. I can't think of where the Wolverine is better than a Scrambler. Besides the fact that it comes through stock with some sort of racks and the Scrambler doesn't. I have never driven one so maybe it handles better because I'd guess that it's a little lighter, but with the full time 4x4 it must take some of that away. Stock vs. Stock the Scrambler would totally destroy one in a straight line for sure (like I said, I don't know about handling because I have never driven one). If you can get passed your buddies ragging on you because you have an automatic then the Scrambler would be a great choice if you didn't want to get the Raptor. Once you got Screaming passed them on their Wolverines and Warriors then they won't think the auto is so bad (though they'll never admit it). Also like I said before, you can easily mod one to make it smoke a stock or lightly modded Raptor for about $1500 (or maybe less).

It's all up to you either way.

-Josh