Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Anyone having problems with 2002 bigbear

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2001, 03:15 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi i bought my bigbear last saturday. This thursday i burnt out the right front headlight. i only turned it on maybe 4 times since saturday. Never rode through any water. Next which is what just happened this weekend is, i was riding normal and all of a sudden my 4wheeler just shut off. My dash was all out nothing came on. So i checked the solenoid and the fuse in th B slot was blown so i took the fuse from M and put it in there and turned the key on and it blew. I went to touch the start button and that was stuck in. It wasn't "stuck" in it was in but broken. It was able to move in and out but loose. The only thing i've done which i shouldn't but did was put a switch to the fan by splicing it into the positive wire so i can use the switch and turn it on when i pulled anyone out or anything. So in order for me since i had no electric the key way i turned the fan switch on which made the fan run bringing electric to th engine making it posible to have electric and i had to pull start it. It finally was running. Now as i was driving back to camp (hunting camp) smoke started coming out of the starter button area and the wire sizzled. So my conclusion was that the button made contact b4 and when i would turn the key on it gave a rush of electric to the starter since the button was turned on cause the solenoid fuse to pop. So now i have to bring it in to yamaha and get it fixed. Its only been a week though and they built it right out of the crate so its never been touched b4 then. Anyone else had problems or can back me up on my theory with the button being stuck causing the fuse to blow. Thanks sorry it was so long.

Old 11-18-2001, 06:00 PM
wyd
Range Rover

Never heard of that one before but if the switch did stick it could have caused you problem. The headlight could have been just a bad one. I know I had many in my car do that. The only thing I saw on my freinds 02 Bear was the steering was loose from left to right but at its first service that was taken care of.

My brother is getting a 02 Big Bear for his first atv. The one I rode was nice and smooth with good power. It is geared a little low but he is not a speed freak so it will be more than fine for him. Also the price is almost unbeatable for what you get.

Old 11-19-2001, 12:51 AM
Trailblazer

Ya i got the 4wheeler cause the price and the 2wd/4wd option. The power is great speed is not but i'm not a speed demon either. I'm bringing my quad into yamaha tomorrow after work. So i guess i'll see what they say. Too bad this week is thanksgiving who knows how much time they will have to work on it.

Old 11-19-2001, 12:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have an 01 big bear with no problems . from what you are saying ,it sounds like you installed a switch to turn the cooling fan on and off. The fan is thermostat controlled to turn on and run to cool off the oil which in turn helps to keep the engine cool. If you "turned Off" the fan you effectly shut down the cooling system . mY GUESS is your big run was shut douwn cuz it was running hot? You may want to remove the switch that you added and let the fan cycle on and off like it's suppose to

Old 11-20-2001, 03:12 PM
Trailblazer

When i put the switch to the fan it had no effect to the way the fan would turn on when it gets hot. The starter button fried it was a bad button. The guy at yamaha said so himself and the contacts stayed connected making the fuse pop every time i turned my key on.