Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wolverine, let the mods begin...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 08:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the main jet?
Is it the same thing as a jet kit?

If someone will please answer my question I would greatly appreciate it. I plan on ordering my mods as soon as I can make my mind up.
Thanks,WILL

Old 11-25-2001, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

The main jet will be one of two jets that will come in your Dynojet jet kit. Actually there will be 4, but 3 of them are main jets for different possible elevations.

If you remove the bowl from the bottom of the carb you will be able to remove the main jet. It'll all be in the instructions. It would be a good idea to read an article on carb tuning just to get an idea of how it works, and what you'll be changing.

Old 11-26-2001, 12:09 AM
Range Rover

Thanks man, I'm ordering some mods tommorrow.(Prodesign intake,k&n jetkit & white brothers eseries exhaust for starters)

I know I could install all the mods with no problem but fooling around with carb. sounds kind of difficult.

Old 11-26-2001, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider

I'm looking to get spacers for my Wolverine, I have come across two types, the spacer with the four stud extenders and the black ring, or the spacer that I believe Moose is offering,Four stud extenders and that is it... Any know which is better????? need to lower center of gravity
thanks...

Old 11-26-2001, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

I haven't tried either, but for the type of riding I do I would only go with the Durablue type of spacer. The ones you're talking about from Moose are more for people who need extra clearance for fat mud tires. I don't think I'd want to be taking jumps and stuff with the simple stud extenders.

I know the Durablue ones cost more, but I think they're worth it.

Old 11-26-2001, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

O.K. thanks,,, I'm a hard core trail rider,,, I do not jump,, just mud
and blazing new trails,,hills,, the off camber turns is what I have
trouble with,, the 26 in tires are great,, but raised center of gravity.

Old 11-26-2001, 01:09 PM
Range Rover

The manual clutch that uses the stock clutches would be of little benifit. Instead of using your foot to work the clutch you would use your hand. The kit the FST does, gets rid of the stock clutchs, thus taking almost 5lbs off the end of the crank. You can send FST the left side cover and they will do the machine work, then send you the kit. I have heard that this kit is tough to keep adjusted right. The 500cc kit uses the top end of an 400 Kodiak that is bored and mated to the wolverine cases.

Old 11-26-2001, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

I guess that would be the older style Kodiak that was air cooled?

I wonder how hard it would be to adapt the cylinder and head off the newer style kodiak, making a water-cooled Wolverine. THAT would be cool!

asfastasu, I understand what you mean about the clutchs. Removing the primary would let you build revs faster, and would surely give you a bit more snap.

However, there is a huge advantage on retaining the primary. The disadvantage of a fully manual clutch is that it takes two hands to operate, which can be impossible if you're stuck and need to push in reverse, or tug on the grab bar. If I was going to go with full race mods I'd eliminate the primary. If I still wanted to use the quad to do normal 4x4 stuff I'd leave it in place.

Old 11-27-2001, 12:26 AM
Range Rover

I ordered the wolverine some mods tonight. Its getting the Prodesign intake,White Brothers Eseries,K&N jetkit & some renthal(I hope they fit) soft grips. I also was looking into a set of spacers but I dont think the wolv would fit in the back of my truck with them on. It sure would be nice to have alittle bit more stablity going into tight turns.

I'm thinking the next mods to do is probably the high compression piston,cam,& carb kit. The more & more I think of how difficult the FST kit is going to be more & more I think I might just be going with the mods above & forget about the big bore kit. I'm sure I will get around to the manual clutch mod though.

Old 11-27-2001, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

The High compression piston is a good idea. It's cheap, easy to do, and gives good results.

Quick Reply: wolverine, let the mods begin...