Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizz Won Dirt-Wheels Big 4x4 Shootout!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 02:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although dirt wheels didn't want to admit it for fear of contradicting their head-to-head shootout earlier, they picked the Grizz in most conditions as being the best. Slow/technical - 1st, fast trailriding - 2nd, mud - 1st, towing - 1st.

Why can't they just come out and say for everything but fast trail riding at high speeds, the Grizz rules??? Fast riding = 650, slow-medium = 660!!!!!!!!!

I'm beginning to hate their fence-walking reviews that don't even hint at their choice!

(I'll catch hell, from some for this post, but I want to hear opposite views too)

Old 11-28-2001, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer

just read it yesterday sounded to me like the grizz was the winner for what i was looking for in ulitily 4 wheeler. 3 cheers for yamaha. could it also win atv of the year. find out soon enought. sure any of the quads in the test would be nice to own. but everytime i see that silver grizz in the words just say to myself yamaha did real nice job with this machine.

Old 11-28-2001, 03:02 PM
Trailblazer

in the woods

Old 11-28-2001, 06:17 PM
Range Rover

I don't have the article in front of me, but my impression after reading it is that they liked the Prairie the best. Not that it really matters to me. One thing's for sure, though. They preferred the Grizzly and Prairie almost universally over the Sportsman and Quest.

Old 11-29-2001, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

NYMudder

I also read the article and seems to me the Prairie was the winner.

how do you like your mt's how do they ride?
do they actually measure 26" ?

thanks.

Old 11-29-2001, 10:39 AM
Elite Pro Rider

New Grizz owners feel their quad was the best in the writeup and Prairie owners feel the same about what they read. Looks like a sucessful writeup for the Dirt Wheels crew. Everyones happy and has the best atv.

Old 11-29-2001, 10:45 AM
Trailblazer

Love the MT's. Great in the mud. Never measured them, but I hear MT's in general don't measure as advertised unless you put a lot of air in them. They are not the best for rock-crawling because of the big lugs, but you can't have it both ways. Only two other tires I'd consider are Gators and Mud Bugs. Don't think you'll lose with any of those. MT's I especially like b/c they protect the rims very well. That is a great feature most don't mention.

As far as most readers finding DW's liking both 650 and 660... That is my point. They wouldn't come out and say the winner is... Fence-sitters!

Old 11-29-2001, 10:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<< They wouldn't come out and say the winner is... Fence-sitters! >>

My thoughts exactly....and also my point of the previous post. Later guys.

Old 11-30-2001, 02:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the Grizzly won and I own one of them. They did a lot of talking on the 650 Prairie in that article. Probably cause it was fastest and sportiest, and if anyone has noticed, thats what most magazines value the most. Now on the other hand, the Grizzly probably won more categories also. The towing thing wasn't stated outright, they just made a comment that favored the grizzly low range, and didn't say much about the rest. That don't right count if you know what I mean. To me, it looked like that firestarter of a final statement, much like the ATV mag article where the Sp500 (clearly the winner) wound up in a tie with the BRAND NEW Honda Rubicon. The Sportsman trounced it and then at the end they gave praise to the Rubicon, basically on the fact that its suspension was dialed in for either a light or heavy load.

The Grizzly and Prairie are pretty much the top dogs, and they are going to finish about the same because of their differences in the categories they beat each other in. The Sp700 is going to line up in the same category of the Yamaha, but will lose because the Grizzly is more of a Sportsman/Prairie Hybrid and does the sport/handling stuff better than the Sp700.

I can guarantee you if Yamaha never made the 660, then the shootout would have been a tie between the 700 and the 650 for the same reasons the Grizzly and Prairie ended up in a tie.

Old 11-30-2001, 09:28 AM
Trailblazer

Can't argue that point Andy. 700 and 650 probably would have tied. Sounds like I'm not the only one disappointed by DW's tendency to be sure that they give a positive assessment to all vehicle makes, no matter if they felt one was better than the rest. I for one thought the write-up was terrible. And one other thing while I'm ranting...

Who decided that going 60 on a 600-700 pound 4x4 machine was more important than suspension articulation at slow speed, towing capacity, 4x4 action, mudding, rock-hounding, and in general riding stuff you might not have a right to be trying to conquer in the first place?????

I thought the first shootout between the 660 and the 650 was a complete joke! Wow, the 650 corners better at 50+, jumps easier, is better in the whoop section (who cares - and I used to race motocross for years), and accelerates a little faster........so does a ^%$'ing Raptor! Maybe since it has a 660 engine they should have entered it in the big 4x4 shootout and it probably would have won!

Am I the only one expecting them to take those machines into a deep swamp to see which one goes the farthest most of the time? Or which one can tackle the roughest uphill trail at 5 mph - NOT 40 mph??? Those are the riding conditions meant for these beasts!

Cudos to DW, at least they didn't crown the Quest the shootout winner because in the middle of the desert after 5 min of acceleration it does go the fastest!

(Some people might be thinking I am angry b/c I own a Grizz and it didn't win. Not true at all. I would have much prefered it if they named the 650 winner b/c they seem to think dirt-track riding is what these machines are for. At least then they would have taken a stance and supported it)

Quick Reply: Grizz Won Dirt-Wheels Big 4x4 Shootout!!!!!