Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Lookin' at new Pick-ups. V-10 SuperDuty Ford F-250 Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a Dodge cummins diesel with a five speed and couldn't be more satisfied. Although my truck has a lot of performance goodies installed, I still average 20.5 mpg. to 22.5 mpg. on the freeway and 18.5mpg. to 20 mpg. around town unloaded. The bigger gas engines can tow some serious weight as well, but you'll be emptying your wallet a lot at the pump. My brother has a Ford half ton with the 5.4 litre motor and when we take a trip to the dunes towing four quads (185 mi. round trip) he guzzles 20 gallons of gas. When I make the same trip I only use 9.5 gallons. Also when I decide to tow my fifth wheel with my atv trailer behind on the same trip ( approximately 14,000 lbs. ) I still average between 12 to 13.5 mpg. I agree the initial cost of a diesel is quite more, but what you get in return is worth it to me. As for oil changes I use Mobil Delvac or Shell Rotella at $5.50 a gallon, and with the oil filter, oil changes cost about $24. By the way WyoDuner are you planning to make a trip back to Little Sahara in the spring. If so we need to hook up again.

Old 12-01-2001, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

I have had my 99 v10 lariat since new. 70,000 miles and it has not been in the shop 1 time, it is awesome. My friend has the same truck in a diesel, it has alot of torque. On the open road pulling the same trailers I keep right up with him and I can hear my stereo and my trailer is not black with smoke. Fords are by far the tuffest truck built.

Old 12-01-2001, 04:54 PM
Trailblazer

95warrior,
Some of the facts you have on the GM diesel/Allison are incorrect. The option price on the motor is closer to $4810, and for automatics the Allison is $1200, which is $6000. I just went out of my office and looked on the assembly line. I worked at Flint, and now at the truck plant by the Silverdome. Yes the duramax is made by Isuzu. Time will tell if they are as dependable at the Fords when they have been around as long. I just turned over my 2001 2500HD which had no problems at all. I got 22mpg on the Hwy about 19 in town. and at least 20 towing my 20ft trailer with quads or the old Camaro. I just got a 2500 Avalanche, it has the 8.1 and GM's 4l80e HD trans. With the gear I got I can tow 12000 pounds. Now the 8.1 gets 14mpg(11 with the wife driving, she like the Bic block get up and go) and no less than 13 when I tow the trailer. Now if the guy your relatives know had a module go out in his Allison trans, sounds more like a electrical problem, instead of a design flaw with the mechanicals. We get the warranty information back at the plants. The Duramax and Allison numbers are very low for claims. Anyway, I know Ford, Dodge and GM make good trucks. I personally like the looks of the Dodges and new GM's which will be 2004 or 2005 model year. The Ford design, doesnt get me excited like the others. But I just got the Avalanche and ALOT of people dont like the looks of them either! I gotta say I really like the functionality. If rides better than the 2500HD, because its basically a Suburban with the back cut out to make a pick up bed. I think I remember seeing the Fords your family drives in the parking lot at Flint truck. They used to park em out where not many people have to walk by em, HA HA, I'm kidding. Most any motor you decide on will last 200,000 easy, if the oil is changed regularly and maintained properly. The big 3 are having to not build in the planned obsolesance as they did years ago, thanks in part to the Japanese. People want value for their money, and expect things to last. This is especially true for $40,000+ trucks and $6000+ quads. This is just my 2 cents. Buy what you want and ride/Drive what you want.

Old 12-01-2001, 06:00 PM
Range Rover

For every guy that gripes about GM's quality I can find another that gripes about Ford's quality. 'Round and 'round it goes. I've only owned half-ton trucks but the Chevy I have now has been perfect so far with 14000 miles. Brother in law's 95 Chevy 350 has had no major troubles with 120000 miles. I've had good luck with GM trucks and I like the engines GM makes. As far as heavier-duty gas engines-take a look at the 8.1 V8 big block GM puts in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. It outworks Ford and Dodge's V10s and gets the same or better mileage. Good luck.

Old 12-01-2001, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I looked at an avalanche 2500 today and it is pretty darn ugly. Plus the bed is really small. I also sat in the back seat of a 3500HD and it was not very good. Something actually sounded like it cracked or broke when I got in. I am not sure on the quality of that product. I think I will most likely be sticking with a superduty F250 and am not quite sure on the V10 or diesel still.

Foulix, let us know what you decide. I probably won't be buying until like January, after christmas. You know have to pay for the kids toys and things.

Bat

Old 12-01-2001, 07:47 PM
Range Rover

Im not partial to any truck brand. So Im not trying to steer you away from any desicion that you make. But, I was wondering if anyone else noticed this about SD Fords, they dont seem to hold heavy loads like they use too. I know they have no problem with pulling power, but I notice they tend to squat really bad when a load is on the back. Well hope any truck you get would be a good one.
matty

Old 12-01-2001, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

Take $600 and put it into a 5.4...stuff like a chip, power pulleys, cold air kit, cat-back exhaust, higher pressure injectors, etc, and you'll have as much, if not more, power as the 10 cyl, w/ added mileage, all w/ the cool V-8 rumble, not the V-10, well, fart sound is all I can think of....

Old 12-01-2001, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

Even though I don't drive one, my whole family has diesels. My step-father drives an 01 F350 Pstroke 4x4. He had a V-10 for about 6 months, then traded it in on the diesel. He has driven them all. He owned a GMC 1500 4x4 before he got the Ford, and the ford out pulled the GM by far. I put quite a few miles on the V-10, and it was a fun motor to drive. It has lots of power, good acceleration, and it runs good at high speeds. The diesel, however; is much better. The V-10 was an auto, and averaged 12-15mph. Sometimes he could get higher when driving interstate, but sometimes as low as 7-8mph. I have pulled a 32ft Flat-Neck trailer, with 15 6x6 bales of hay with both. The diesel will outpull it in every aspect. The new truck had no problems what-so-ever in areas that the V-10 would struggle.

My friend's wife bought him an F450 for Christmas back in 00. That truck is a BEAST! It sits up higher than the 350's, and looks alot better too.(in my opinion) He put a power chip, and a 4" straight pipe on it. That truck has more power than anything I have ever driven/seen. It will literally pull you back into the seats in 3-6. It accelerates like a sportscar, and pulls like a freighliner.

If I were you, I would look at it like all these other guys are. If you will be pulling, and/or putting alot of miles in your truck, go with the diesel.

Old 12-01-2001, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

I was always a chevy man and hated diesels,but as my tow loads grew I decided to try a Superduty F250 crewcab 4x4 2 years ago(65k)now I am sold!I at least twice a week tow 12 to 15,000 lbs (mostly equipment for work)
The noise is a little loud sometimes, but you get used to it.I like the truck so much I just bought another one yesterday(02 F350 lariat crewcab 4x4)and handed my old one down to my bussiness partner.Fuel and oil change costs are not an issue with me,I just like the way the Powerstroke pulls loads.My only warranty item was a broken cup holder.

Gas or diesel I think they are great trucks
Jeff

Old 12-01-2001, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Lets keep it short. If you can afford the powerstroke I'd get it. I have a V10 supercab 4x4 long bed. With an auto trans and 3.73 rear end I get 13.5 on the Hwy and 11 city. Will leave any diesel behind in city driving. Pretty potent gasser, decent acceleration. A 460 V8 will leave it behind but get crappy mileage. It's a matter of cost. Sure the diesel will even out in the end but if you cant afford it just buy the gasser. I like mine alot.

Quick Reply: Lookin' at new Pick-ups. V-10 SuperDuty Ford F-250 Lariat