Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Lookin' at new Pick-ups. V-10 SuperDuty Ford F-250 Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want a diesel truck, plus it is a $4,700 option. The V-10 is only $600 more. 418 cu.in. I assume it is made on the same bed as the V-8, just two more cylinders. Is it any good? I've been a Chevy man for many years, But I am fed up with them. This truck looks good. It tows over 10,000 lb. Any input would be appreciated.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2001, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know much about this engine, but I too am looking into new trucks. I need a 3/4 ton and am not a huge fan of deisels. My choice is between a Ford f250 v10 4x4 crew cab and a new chevy 2500 4x4 8.1 liter crew cab. I am not sure, what is your complaints with the chevy.

Thanks
Bat

Old 11-30-2001, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

I'm no expert but doesn't the diesel get MUCH better gas mileage, especially when hauling than the V-10? Also isn't the diesel more torquy and better for towing.

Old 12-01-2001, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

Diesels are more powerful and the do get better mileage than a gas engine. But only buy the diesel if you plan to drive a lot and I mean a lot. Between 30 and 60,000 miles or more, a year and your going to be towing something exceptionally heavy. $4700.00 for the option of the diesel will buy a lot of gas.

Here’s the formula I used to make my decision on which to buy. It basically takes the fuel costs into account. On average I drive 20 to 25,000 miles a year. I am using the 20,000 in my math. On a Gas engine: I take 20,000 divided by 11 (MPG) this equals 1818 Gallons used per year. 1818 multiplied by cost $1.40 equals $2545.00 in annual fuel costs. On the diesel side: 20,000 divided by 16 (MPG) this equals 1250 Gallons used per year. 1250 multiplied by cost $1.69 equals $2112.00 in annual fuel costs. As you can see the difference is negligible. I will be saving roughly $433.00 a year in fuel on the diesel. Taking the initial $4500.00 option of a diesel it would take me 11 years or 220,000 miles to break even on the options price tag. And this is not including maintenance on either vehicle. Which is an absolute nightmare on a diesel if you can’t do it yourself. How’s a 85.00 Oil change sound? That’s the cost at my local ford dealer.

The $ amount I used for gas and diesel were from February this year. Right now diesel in my area is 1.29 and regular unleaded is .96. Quite the difference.

Go for the gas. And to answerer the original question the Ford V-10 is the same and the 5.4L V-8 with two added cylinders.

Old 12-01-2001, 03:52 AM
Pro Rider

What's wrong with the diesel? Noise? Have to agree with King Raptor on this one resale on the V-10s is horrible, not to mention the Ford v-10 is a gas guzzling, piece of junk in my opinion. If you plan to tow, your going to want the powerstroke. Not going to tow? I still like the powerstroke. Tell you what, drive a chipped (or even stock)powerstroke and then take the gas engine truck for a spin. If you make it around the block without turning around in disgust I will be surprised. Why spend that much on a truck and cheap out on the last 5 grand and get a junky engine that get's a consistent 8mpg vs 16-20 that won't even resell as easily.
I have always been a Chevy gas engine truck kinda guy, now I have a Superduty with a Powerstroke in it. I don't consider the former a real truck anymore, and won't drive a truck without a diesel in it again. I am hooked, for me it was like playing with a 4 cylinder toyota and then stepping up to a semi truck. Still have my old chevy 350, it hit's the road about 2 times a year to go to the city dump.

Old 12-01-2001, 06:51 AM
Pro Rider

I agree 100% with DuneJammer. If you can afford the diesel get it. My oil changes run me about $30.00 doing it myself including the filter. The mileage on the V-10 a friend of mine has empty is around 10mpg. Towing a 16 fooot box trailed he get 6 to 8mpg. I get 14 towing the same type of load on my diesel. I get 10mpg towing a 36 foot enclosed gooseneck trailer and it sure is nice to have the powerstroke when you start up long hills out on the highway. Unless the V-10 has changed there nothing you can do to help it with after market mods for mileage. Even changing the exhaust system does not help.

Old 12-01-2001, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

I've had my 1999 F-250 SuperDuty V-10 4x4 (Build 1-98), since March 1998 and can tell you it is an awesome truck. A little background: I'm from a GM family with all the discounts etc, GM was founded 30 miles from my house, and the new Chevy/GMC HD is built about 20 miles from my house at Flint Truck Assembly where several relatives work (some of who drive Fords). I got tired of GM's under engineered junk. My F250 cost me much more than a comparable GM truck (GM employee PEP discount is 28% off the sticker price) but it has been problem free for the last 3 and half years and a joy to drive. The cab is wider than the GM models, which comes in handy for carrying my four kids. I use the F250 as a daily driver and for towing a 7000 lb. trailer once in a while. Concerning your V-10 questions, yes, the Triton V10 is an enlarged V-8. The Triton family of motors is modular, so that the V-8 and V-10 share the same pistons, rods, waterpumps, valves, etc. This keeps manufacturing costs down and simplifies parts design and handling. The engine design is of the overhead cam type (like a quads) which uses less parts and is more efficient than GM's overhead valve design, and has an iron block with aluminum heads. There is a person on a Ford forum who has 195,000 miles on their V-10 (with consistant oil changes, 3k miles), so the engine is built to last if maintained properly. Concerning the diesel/gas debate: You'll need 100,000 miles to balance out the additional cost of the diesel over the gas motor. This takes into account initial cost, fuel consumption, and maintainance costs. For example, the Powerstroke takes 15 quarts of oil per change and a $10 oil filter (at Walmart) vs. 6 quarts of oil and a $3 oil filter (Walmart again). However, if you tow heavy loads in the mountains, the Powerstroke is the only way to go, IMHO. My fuel economy towing the trailer at 70 mph, overdrive locked out, is 12 mpg. With my gearing ratio/tire setup, this keeps the engine at the torque peak, thus allowing better milage. Just for comparison purposes, guys at the truck plant that are driving the Chevy HD/8.1L are getting 8 mpg unloaded and 5-6 mpg while towing. Gas is below a dollar a gallon at some places around here though, so no one cries too much.

Old 12-01-2001, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

How does the new gm diesel compare to the powerstroke?

I drive my truck daily and not a lot of miles on a daily basis, will the gas or diesel last longer in this enviroment?

Bat

Old 12-01-2001, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

The GM diesel (the "Duramax&quot is an Isuzu engine with aluminum heads AND and an aluminum block (?!?!). It's expensive (just under $5,000) and you're required to get the Allison transmission ($2,200) which has had, um, problems. One truck plant employee last spring blew his after only 4 days of use. So you've got a power module (that's the term for the engine/tranny combo) that is going to cost you $7200, and the reliablity is questionable, short term and long term. There are also "issues" with the Duramax. The Powerstroke, in contrast, is designed and built by Navistar, the commercial truck builder. The engine was chosen for the Ford lineup based on its merits, whereas the Isuzu motor was chosen for the GM lineup because GM owns 48% of the company. This maximizes profits for the parent company (GM). In short, the Powerstroke is a proven product, the Duramax needs about 3-5 years to develop a track record.(Unless you want to be part of the R&D team, like us '01 Raptor owners). The US armed forces are adapting a diesel F350 as a support vehicle (to replace GM products built at Flint Truck Assembly in the '80's), and the Isreali Army just purchased 1000 Ford diesels for their troops. As far as which lasts longer, theoretically the diesel does, because it makes it's power at less RPM's. Common engine life quoted for the Powerstroke is 300,000 miles between re-builds. However, I fully expect my V-10 to go 200,000 miles at least. In choosing between the Powerstroke/V10, you're choosing between two of the best truck motors available, with the Cummins being the other one, so there really isn't a bad choice. For me personally, with an 18 mile commute each way and being a flat lander, the gasser works better. During the winter, I have heat in the cab within three miles.

Old 12-01-2001, 11:46 AM
Trailblazer

My dad just got a new chevy four door 4 wheel drive with the duramax and allison transmission in it. All a can say is we have already put 60,000 miles on it and not one problem. As far as how it compares to the V-10 well there two different trucks but if you want power good gas mileage "as much as 22mpg" and something that will outpull any dodge or ford than i would go with the chevy.

Quick Reply: Lookin' at new Pick-ups. V-10 SuperDuty Ford F-250 Lariat