Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak Axle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2000, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TUCKER:THE pogo and flying are credited to me.I'm sorry but you had said jumping,and as you say question was should it be covered.If you or who ever truly weren't abusing the machine and axle is faulty, yes I agree that should be covered,but if was due to negligence no should not.Hope I have better explained my position.CM

Old 02-03-2000, 08:32 PM
Range Rover

The term WARRANTY is defined as "a defect in the manufacturers workmanship or materials " If a 600 lb bike with a 200lb rider happen to get a little air from time to time , the manufacturer can't be blamed for the operators mistake. I would say the only problem may be an engineering fault on behalf of Yamaha. I own a 95 wolverine that I've had since it was new and I've never bent an axle yet . And yes I am an aggressive driver.By the way I,m 6'3" and 255lbs. But I know the difference and if I want to jump , I'll buy a motorcross bike thats designed for it .

Old 02-03-2000, 08:33 PM
Range Rover
Old 02-03-2000, 08:33 PM
Range Rover
Old 02-03-2000, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

Well tuck I didn't like the way your responded to Chickenman who was just sharing with us his ideas.

If you are afraid of getting answers that you might not want to hear (Constructive Critisism) then this my not be the proper venue for your questions.

Old 02-03-2000, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe the trouble was in the way I had worded my answer,I think I done better later.Sure we all get bent when we think that we are right,and someone else says we are wrong. CM

Old 02-04-2000, 11:06 AM
Trailblazer

I've got to input my 2 cents on this one.

It is obvious Yamaha has a bad design. Minimal jumps are just part of the "terrain", whether it be a sport utility or not. If the work machines aren't intended for work not play, including small jumps, why would a work machine be capable of 45 + mph and have 7 + inches of suspension travel.
It is also stated that noone is to ride double on a machine, but I'll venture to say that almost everyone has done this at one time or another.
My machine was victum of a bent axle as most of the regulars of this board are aware. Some of us have been fortunate enough to get them replaced by warranty, others were not. I truly believe this depends on your relationship/experience with your dealer, period.
It's too bad that Yamaha doesn't do a redesign on the specific axles in question. But, I suppose that if they did, it would only make it obvious that they do have a known problem.
I never intend to slam anyones machine or opinions. As a matter of fact, I'm glad their are other view points out their. Your posts have changed my mind more than once.

My advice if you buy a new Wolv, slide out the unbent factory axle, and install a Durablue now. That way, at least you could sell it and get something out of it besides scrap price.

Old 02-04-2000, 03:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Good People: The verdict is in! Yamaha has agreed to replace my buddy's axle. The dealer (who is very happy to have sold us 5 Kodiaks) placed a call to Yamaha. Although it isn't a standard warranty issue, Yamaha has apparantly agreed to cover it. Big points for Yamaha in my book.

Old 02-04-2000, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

ALLRIGHT happy for ya as you say chalk one up for YAMAHA,plus give the dealer agood one.Thats some thing to keep in mind when you buythe next quad. CM

Old 02-04-2000, 08:18 PM
Range Rover

Good you deserve it, now try to keep them on all 4s

Quick Reply: Kodiak Axle Problem