Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak Axle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2000, 11:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddies and I just bought 5 Yamaha Kodiaks. The quads are 4x2. One of my buddies jumped his a couple of times but never got more than a couple of feet off the ground. His axle is bent on the right side pretty badly. The local dealer says he's never seen a bent axle on a Kodiak. Has anybody else had this experience? Should this be covered under warranty? We're obviously all concerned since we just rolled 5 of these things out the door.

Old 02-03-2000, 12:21 PM
Trailblazer

Seems to me any dealer that just sold 5 Kodiaks to a group of customers and one came back with a bent axle, it would be replaced under warranty so fast no-one would have time to post a warranty question!

On the other hand, if that same machine came back again with an axle problem that no-one else was experiencing, then it's probably time for a heart-to-heart about the limits of warranties.

Old 02-03-2000, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

I'am not surprised to hear about axle problems on the Kodiak, the axle looks just like the one used on the wolverine which we all know has bendig problems(too much un-supported weight) but what does surprise me is yamaha didn't put a full axle carrier on the kodiak like they did on the grizzly!!! WAKE-UP YAMAHA!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-03-2000, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

I'am not surprised to hear about axle problems on the Kodiak, the axle looks just like the one used on the wolverine which we all know has bendig problems(too much un-supported weight) but what does surprise me is yamaha didn't put a full axle carrier on the kodiak like they did on the grizzly!!! WAKE-UP YAMAHA!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-03-2000, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

Your doing something that these machines aren't designed for.Use a little common sense If ya want to jump get a pogo stick.Them things have 4 wheels for a reason,if you want to jump it then pay the consequenses.You buy a new car go out and jump it,and bend axle is manufactor liable.LATER COB

Old 02-03-2000, 03:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't think we did anything that this ATV wasn't designed to do. The jump wasn't that big and the other 3 Kodiaks didn't experience this problem. These ATV's travel at more than 55mph. It is unreasonable to assume that these things will never leave the ground. ATV = All Terrain Vehicle. Speaking of common sense, your analogy to buying a new car is useless.

Old 02-03-2000, 04:11 PM
Range Rover

If you have a good dealer they should cover it under warinty. I went through about 3 axles with my wolverine.I know the feelin

Old 02-03-2000, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

ALL terrain-terrain is tera firma, gound, earth,what ever.If you want air buy a plane.If you abuse your machine you pay.My buddy has cat snowmobile it had bad oil pump,went out at 500 miles Cat replaced the motor,no questions asked,It had not been abused.Something like that should be covered but lets be resonable,you abuse you pay.I was only using car as an example.Sorry but I don't agree with you,that don't make either one of us wrong,I just feel that manufactors have certain responability to us.But in return we have a responsability to ourselfs.Later cob

Old 02-03-2000, 05:15 PM
Trailblazer

The Kodiak is a utility machine. If you want to fly buy a wolverine or warrior.

Log Skidders are All Terrain Vehicles to, but you don't see many people jumping them. And if the did, they would bend/break axles too.

How is that analogy?

Old 02-03-2000, 06:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

As this discussion progresses, I'd like to make one point of clarification. The word "jump" in this case is probably a little strong. We weren't jumping (pogo stick) or flying (plane) as a couple of you have stated. We we all went over a short steep incline not unlike anything you'd encounter anywhere you all probably ride. The Kodiak was never more than 2 feet in the air. Hardly "flying". In your response, assume that the ATV was not pushed beyond its intent, because it wasn't. My original post was to determine if others had experienced a simlar problem and/or to get informed opinions about warranty coverage. It was not to engage in a discussion about whether or not this machine was abused.

Quick Reply: Kodiak Axle Problem