Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering is it normal to have a small amount of free play (front to back) on my rear sprocket and brake rotor I checked the axle nuts and they seem to be tight. It's not a lot of free play , but you can move them front to back with your hand I thought it might just be a little play in the axle splines. If you get a chance check yours and let me know if this is normal. Thanks!! On another note did anyone ever find out if yamaha updated the later model (2001) raptor tranny parts?

Old 12-10-2001, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

This is not normal and will eventually lead to bearing failure. Not only do you have play in your sprocket and rotors, you also have some side to side play in your axle. Jack the rear end off the ground and see if you can move the whole axle front to back. If so, your bearings are probably shot too.

You need to take it back to the dealer and get them to re-torque the axle nuts. If they don't have the proper wrenches, call Yamaha customer support. They will call your dealer and make them order them. You can also buy a replacement nut from Yamaha that will help to ensure it doesn't happen again. See the Yamaha website and go to the section where you can build your own Raptor. It is one of the parts listed.

I have gone through this twice with my dealer who tried tightening without torque wrenches. Now, my bearing are shot since I've been riding it this way for months.

Good Luck!

/Jon

Old 12-10-2001, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer

Ok you really got me thinking now cuz my Raptor is only 3 months old , so I ran out to the garage jacked it up and checked the axle . Nothing , everything is tight no play at all the only play is if I grap the rotor or sprocket and move it front to back (the way they turn) I have a small amount of play on both , about the same amount on the sprocket as the roter . Aren't there splines in the axle that the rotor and sprocket slip over? Or are the axle nuts loose I checked them with a big cresent wrench and they were tight enough I couldn't move them. I have never had an axle apart I thought it was just a small amount of play between the axle splines and sprocket splines. Hell my raptor is just getting broke in maybe 40 - 50 hrs on it it can't be the bearings yet I thought bearings were side to side or up and down slop.

Old 12-11-2001, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

If you have bent your axle, even slightly those nuts on the axle will loosen up in time. or they werent properly tightened when it was put together. Back the lock nut off and tighten the inner a little then tighten the lock nut again, I havent seen a quad yet that when the nuts come loose the splines are so tight you cant move the sprocket or brake hubs.

Old 12-11-2001, 09:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Mine has a slight amount of side-to-side freeplay on the rear sprocket and everything is tight. Checked my bro's Banshee and it's the same way. Have'nt checked front to rear freeplay.....would'nt surprise me if there is slight freeplay there as well.

Old 12-11-2001, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

you should not have any free play if your axle nuts (2) are tight, be sure you check them with your tires on the ground

Old 12-11-2001, 06:22 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys I will get a big open end wrench and see if the axle nuts are loose. Thanks for the help will get back to you with what I find out , I hope it's just the nuts being loose ,if so should I drill and tap a set skrew in the locking nut or just use locktight?

Old 12-11-2001, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

Locktite works best. Other than that you can get a locking nut from an aftermarket company for about 50-65$

Old 12-11-2001, 11:01 PM
Range Rover

The stock axle coming loose is common. Problem is that the nuts seem tight because they're locked together and you'll never get it set to where it will never becomes loose again with the stock double nuts. I see the 2002's have a different single nut that looks like the aftermarket units. You could get set up with the large pricey wrenches(Cresent wrenches and pipe wrenches don't work) to keep tightening up the stockers or my suggestion is to take those two nuts off, take them behind the garage, and throw them as far as you can. But not before you go and spend a little on a RAD nut or another brand. It won't stay tight forever, but you can keep an eye on it better with tools you probably already have.

Old 12-13-2001, 12:01 PM
Trailblazer

I just asked this question a few days ago in a different post. My sprocket is tight but the rotor has some play front to back. My was always tight. The other day a rock kicked off my back tire and hit both the nut and the side of the rotor which did bend. After that happened I grabbed the rotor and there was fron to back play but no side to side. I'm going to be changing the rotor maybe tonight and I'll be double checking those nuts. I looked at the shop manual real breif and I don't recall there being a torgue for the nut. I did see where you put both nuts on and then there is a certain distance that the second nut must be turned to be considered locked. It looked like there is supposed to be some sort of marks on the nuts. I haven't looked at them that close yet. For now I'm probably just going to use the stock nuts and a little loc-tite until I can afford a better set up.

Quick Reply: Raptor Question