Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak, muzzleloading/ hunting and misc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say it's been a good hunting year. I took a 5 point in bow season w/ my PSE and a big 3 point in gun season. I passed smaller bucks and does all season and saw a NICE buck but couldn't get a shot. I got a big ol' doe in muzzleloading season with my knight rifle.

I dragged the 3-pt. out w/the kodiak and it made it much easier. I pulled the 140 lb doe out of the bottom of a steep hollow over fallen trees, stumps and bramble and down a bad road made by a log skidder. The Kodiak in low range 4x4 didn't miss a lick. In the two years and I've had the Kodiak it has not seen an easy mile in 1200 miles. It starts everytime, 4x4 engages and disengages every time and is watertight. The only prob was a broken front shock which Yamaha replaced free after the warranty was out for 6 months. The shock was a fluke as it is the same one used on most of their quads. I replaced the rear pad at 700 miles but the new one (yamaha) is doing better. I think that when the disc wears a few milimeters it makes the pad last longer.

In short, I would buy the Kodiak over again. The Griz seems like a sweet bike but am disappointed in reading all the problems: gas boiling, sputtering, axles etc. I would consider one though once Yamaha gets the bugs out in a year or two. However, bigger is not always better for my purposes. The Kodiak is able to go "off" the trail due to tight turning radius and smaller stature.