Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

left cv has 1 inch of play ? 660 grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

~UPDATE~

I just got a call from my dealer this morning and he informed me that the parts are on order for my Grizz. I commend them for doing the right thing. He did say that Yamaha told him that they've only had 2 isolated cases with this. Right. I told him I've seen tons of people with this same problem and he said they "probably don't want to start a panic".

So, I'm happy that I'm being taken care of. I don't feel I should have had to go through the hassle I did, but it is the end result that I'm looking for.

I will continue to keep you all posted on how the fix goes, and what the dealer states is the problem when they get into it. Also, please send me your names & email if you've had this axle problem, name of your dealer and if it was fixed or not, as I am still compiling a list. That way when I see someone post that they have this problem, I can email them the list for substantiation, and hopefully prevent some hairloss for other Grizz owners. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Happy Holidays,

SilverBear

Old 12-16-2001, 08:29 PM
Trailblazer

did he say what part he had to order, just a cir clip ?

Old 12-16-2001, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

Busawon660~

No...sounds like just the clip, although they did say "parts", and for being an isolated case, they're pretty tight lipped about it. When I take the Grizz in, I'm going to demand to look at the part(s), and also point out that it would be a wise investment of their time to check the specs of the groove milled into the axle. Because....if they just replace the clip, and it turns out to be a mismilled clip groove on the axle, they will be getting it back to fix....again.

SilverBear

Old 12-19-2001, 12:05 AM
Trailblazer

Silverbear~

After reading about the problems with the cv joints, I went and checked mine. There was just a very little bit of room so that i could hear it wheni moved it back and fourth. It barely moved at all. It did it on all four shafts. Should I be worried about this or is it just normal.

Good luck with your "issue"- still can't believe all that.

Old 12-19-2001, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

4X4mudslinger~

Sounds like yours are ok, and I wouldn't be worried. I'm glad to hear that, not everybody has this issue with their Grizz, and quite honestly I wish that I didn't. Nevertheless, enough people do have this issue, that it should be taken care of immediantly by your dealer. When you pay full MSRP for a limited edition quad that rivals the price of a small automobile, one would expect a dealer to take care of his customer, and it is arrogent and short sighted for them not to. (This little snafu already has cost my dealer $5800.00 in lost sales over the last month by myself as I purchased my wifes new quad from somebody else)

I love my Grizz, and would purchase this quad several times over, and completely understand that a few "bugs" can certainly make it out on a new model year. It should be expected, and as well, it should be expected that these little "issues" will be taken care of by your dealer/manufacture.

Happy 4Xing & Happy Holidays,

SilverBear

Old 12-20-2001, 12:14 AM
Trailblazer

I also heared something about boiling gas or something like that. Has anyone had this problem? I have ridden pretty much all day and all night when I first got it and there was no boiling gas- to my knowledge anyway. If anyone has heared about this, can you please fill me in.

Old 12-20-2001, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

It happens to very few people, but does not appear to happen often. My friend has a griz660, that has never boiled the gas. Nobody has been hurt, no quads caught on fire. Hardly anybody has seen it happen. It has been happening to griz600s and 660s. I do not know more details. Some people's quads are at the right elevation, right time of day, slow enough ride and the engine or exhaust gave off enough heat to boil the gas. Gas has a far lower latent heat of vaporization, but could start boiling off lower weight molecules maybe around 140F. Looking around the net a bit tells me that the boiling point of gasoline depends on the composition and additives, maybe the people that reported it were using a real cheap gas? The heaviest gas might not boil till 340F. I bet a few people just bought crummy gas. Different states have different regulations. Maybe buying gas in michigan and then riding in arizona causes the gas to boil due to different gasoline regulations for different states?

Check this guy out. http://atv.dnsalias.com/atv/index.cg..._ny&pic=30

Old 12-20-2001, 01:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

My 2001 Grizz, has boiled its gas wile useing it for work. It was caused from the way i drive it while working. i use it to spray grass seed for a timber comany i drive around all day in low rang going up and doun skider trails. the exhaust pipe is located to close to the carberator on the right side causeing mine to vapor lock this only happens because of the nice looking engine covers that keeps the hot air from escaping while driving slow for hours at a time. the fix for me is to leave off the right side plastic engine cover, i have not experianced any more problem while driveing slow.
Now as far as the left hand drive shaft pulling out an inch, mine does this to,and i whent to my dealer about this but before i said anything to the shop i first looked at the other grizzley still on the show room floor and found that thay also pulled out the same as mine. the dealer told me this was normal and that his older 2000 model grizz also pulls out some. I would love to get this fixed before my warrenty expires but how can i prove there is a problem when all the other new units on the show room floor are also pulling out some.
Has anyone out there experience a slight rough vibration in the stearing while in four wheel drive? mine does but only when deaccelerating. Ive read of others haveing this vibration on other web pages and that is not normal, but of course my dealer tells me that it normal while in 4-wheel drive and that his older 2000 model Grizz does this to.

My dealer make me feel like im just trying to start some trouble when i tell Him about these problems. i tell him about all the others on the internet haveing these same problems but they just look at my like im nuts.

Old 12-21-2001, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

Supertiger~

I'm sorry to hear your Grizz has boiled gas and has the front left cv issue. Fortunately, my Grizz has been perfect in every sense, except the front cv joint...and I can't say that I see any immediate harm being done by it, however that's not the point. The point is, you paid x amount of dollars for said quad to be in new condition. Go around and look at other either fully independent suspensioned quads, or front independent quads and see if their cvs pull out. I can tell you with my other quads, they do not.

I hate to say this, but it appears about the only way to get a cruddy dealer to fix this issue is to get mad as hell and raise hell. Then while you're there demand to call Yamaha customer service, because it isn't right, and tell them you can provide names of other customers and dealers that have fixed this problem fixed under warrenty. If you need help in that area, let me know and I'll get permission from the folks who have emailed me, plus give you my information. (I would also be calling around to other Yamaha dealers, explain what is going on and tell them you are looking for a dealer that will take care of you and be happy to do business with you.)

SilverBear

Old 12-21-2001, 01:19 AM
Trailblazer

Hell yeah! Don't let them getcha' down. My uncle is the local dealer here for Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Bombardier, I haven't talked to him recently, but I will see him over Christmas and ask him about it-he is pretty cool and won't give ME the run-around. He is a pretty fair guy. But ya'll just keep raisin hell!

Quick Reply: left cv has 1 inch of play ? 660 grizzly