Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

GRIZZ SWAY BAR

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 02:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt removing the sway bar will have any positive effects on sport riding. It would make sense that way. I stiffened up the preloads after removing it just in case. I can see the stock tire setup being affected too, but I don't have to chase the scramblers either so for me its best. The wide tire setup helps too. The idea to modify the bar sounded awesome. You need to do it, then patent it and sell it. You could make a few bucks I guarantee!

01Kodiak- Thanks for the old GI JOE reference. That one put me on the floor man!!! I can remember hearing that line every day about 3:55 back in 1985 when I was in fifth grade.

Silverbear- Its something else ain't it! Really widens it out. I was mostly impressed in a sidehill spot that felt even more stable than my old AC500. I thought that thing was the shiznit in off-camber too. Probably the reason the 300 was harder to move around is cause the engine and transmission sits way back in the *** of the quad. Plus, its no paperweight itself. Glad you like your setup. I figured you would. Old Cowboy when nuts after he got his. He should have been a salesman for Mud Tires Unlimited after that. You will find that the hi range of the tranny won't pull the bigger tires near as good in technical stuff, but low will do anything you want. For trail riding, its fine. Like I said, I straight out dusted a Rubicon with those tires on. Real bad like. Like racing a 300 honda 4x4 on a wolverine. The ground clearance is pretty good too. Tell me what was up with the magazine claiming 8.6" of clearance on this bike???? Where did they get that from?

The articulation thing is nice. That was a big reason I got this quad to begin with. After I got it, I tried that test, and was mad as hell when my AC swingaxle could do 3 times better than the IRS griz. Somebody mentioned that you might be able to take the bar off, so I tried it, and that made me like the Grizzly a whole lot more.

Old 12-19-2001, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

Andy~

It sure is! I have to agree with you. Right after I got my Grizz, we trailered up to where we do alot of riding with the wifes family (all Cat's 300's, 375's, 500ACT's) and my brother in law out flexed my Grizz with his 500ACT. I scratched my head for a while on that one, and the sway bar issue was it. It is a whole new machine without the sway bars...and with the ITP offset rims and BI/Tri Claws. I climbed a snow burm with those things last night until I was almost standing straight up and down. They are awesome.

8.6" Clearance? Hmm..measuring mine with a steel tape reads 14.5" at the bottom of the skid plate at the rear diff. I wonder if they measured somewhere on the A arms?

Happy Holidays,

SilverBear

Old 12-19-2001, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

Don't cut the sway Bar! It is spring steel, and if you do any welding to it you will ruin the temper. All you have to do is release one end of the sway bar and you will have full articulation. Some kind of quick disconnect at one end would be ideal. We haul ***, without the sway bar the Grizz could no way keep up. Too much body roll in the corners. But better articulation would be great in the rocky rough stuff. Best of both worlds sounds good to me.

Old 12-19-2001, 04:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the heads-up Fourlix. That's why I decided to join this forum (recently) after reading it for almost a year. Aside from all the occasional bickering [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img], you can get great info from Knowledgeable guys who ride and don't mind getting their hands dirty.

Old 12-19-2001, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

My curiosity has risen after hearing all of this talk about the swaybar. Is it hard to take it off, and if I don't like it, is it easy to put back on? I don't want to do anything to it that isn't irriversable, as I am only 15 and my dad doesn't want me to anything to "ruin" it. He rides it quite a bit as well, and he is quite a big guy. Will taking it off effect the smootheness and ride?-That's the main reason HE wanted to get it.

Silverbear~ While searching for tires, did you ever consider Vampires?

Old 12-20-2001, 01:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Jack it up and take off the rims. Then you just have a total of six bolts to take off. Real easy, and real easy to put back on. Two bolts hold the bar to the a-arms, and 4 bolts hold the clamps down on the frame. Its a real easy experiment that you can just put right back on if you don't like the results.

Old 12-21-2001, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

4X4mudslinger~

I did look at the Vamps, however on a thread I started asking for everybody's suggestions, and reading every review I could feast my eyes on, the Tri/Bi Claws kept coming out on top for me and the type of riding that I do. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Happy Holidays,

SilverBear

Old 12-21-2001, 01:09 AM
Trailblazer

Andy~ I appreciate it, sounds like a good weekend project for me(to test it out and see if I like it).

Silverbear~ I am pretty sure that the Vamps will get through more than the claws. My cousin had a pair of claws on his old 600- when he got a new grizz, he swapped them on. Then he went and got a set of Vamps. He could, without a doubt, get through more stuff with the vamps. I know it doesn't matter much now, but if you go to www.atvnews.com and sroll down until you get to "mud bath" there is a review that tests just about all of them. But i can't help you with snow use, we don't get much snow down here- strictly mud, and a little bit of sand.

Old 12-21-2001, 03:33 AM
Pro Rider

4X4Mudslinger~

I've read the Vamps are great mud tires, as well as Outlaws. Seems the last review I read Outlaws won on the mudtire test, and Tri Claws and Vamps were right behind. Thing is, we don't find alot of big deep mud pits around where I live. (unfortunately), although I do have a place I buried my Grizz on the stock skins, and can't wait for spring to try out that same place. I do mostly trail riding & rock climbing. Very steep & technical stuff. Mud whenever and where ever I can find it. 'Course, we're being hit major with snow, and what little I've rode them in that so far has been very impressive. I'll let you know more after the weekend. We're trailering for a ride, leaving tomorrow, and I'll see how well I can go in deep snow. All in all, like I said, for my type of riding, the Claws just seemed to be best suited. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Happy Holidays,

SilverBear

Old 12-21-2001, 11:43 PM
Trailblazer

Disregard the message I had here if anyone read it before I deleted it. I am an a$$. I had this great idea about making the sway bar a quick on/off thing. When I woke up this morning I realized that as I was writing the idea last night, the whole time I was picturing the A-arm in my head, not the sway bar. oh well.

- Shawn

Quick Reply: GRIZZ SWAY BAR