Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

GRIZZ SWAY BAR

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 11:13 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the sway bar off last night and drove the machine around my yard and I'm concerned about that amount of lean that the machine has. You could get sea sick standing on the floorboards and rocking the machine from left to right.

~Andy Bassham- what did you change your suspension setting to? Did you go up one click on all 4? How much does Yamaha charge for the suspension wrench- I was pissed when I opened up my tool kit and one wasn't there, for $7K you'd think it would come with it.

~Silverhorse- did you try to adjust your suspension when you took your sway bar off? Are you running stock tires as well?

~Silverbear- any suspension adjustments?

Obviously, I'm hoping that adjusting the suspension will tighten the ride up a bit- if it doesn't, I might have to look into heavier springs/shocks or give up and put the sway bar back on. I do a lot of technical riding, but I also open it up on railroad beds and power lines. I'm willing to make compromises, but not at the expense of not being able to keep up with the people I ride with.

Old 12-28-2001, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

Trailraker~

No, I haven't adjusted my suspension sense taking the sway bar off. Reason being is that I've had to order that damn spanner wrench because I don't want to chew up my preload rings, and I haven't got a price for it yet, either, was just told it's around $30.00. Even so, I am only planning on changing it one notch which is because in heavy flexing (which the Grizz is not allowed to do with the sway bar)my 27" x 12" x 12" Tri claws will rub the front of the rear fenders.

I'm actually surprised on the body roll you're describing. I can't say that my Grizz is like that. 'Course I do ride mainly technical stuff, but occasionally when we have to hit a small stretch of road to go somewhere else, I haven't really had any problems. The only thing I can tell you is I know I wouldn't be taking corners at 65 mph.

I guess the short answer would be to tighten up your preloads and see how that works for you. I don't know this, but perhaps you feel a bigger difference in roll on your stock rim & tire set up than someone with aftermarket offset rims and wider tires. Measuring my back tires from outside to outside looks to be at 50".

Let me know how it works out on tightening your preloads.

SilverBear

Old 12-28-2001, 02:29 PM
Trailblazer

Silverbear,

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll post the results once I get a chance to play with the settings...

BTW- Nice start to your web site.

Old 12-28-2001, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

TrailRaker~
I have only 300 miles on my machine and it has similar body roll to what you're experiencing. If you ride hard with sharp corners the lean is hard to control (it can be fun on two wheels sometimes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]). I know on my Polaris the suspension softened after about 700 miles - I expect the Grizz to do the same.

I turned my front shocks up (2) notches and the back up (3) when I had the sway bar off. It definitely helped, but lean was still pretty evident. After I reinstalled the sway bar I dropped the front to (1) and to (2) in the rear (above the factory setting - it helps with landing jumps and riding two).
I borrowed the wrench from my 00 Polaris Sportsman before I sold it (yes they come WITH the Polaris quads). I think I have seen them for about $10 at Dennis Kirk.

Currently I'm running stock tires on my Grizzly. I just installed 27" 589's on my Kodiak which I've since found out WON'T fit my Grizz while on the Kodiak rims - different offset. So now I purchased new Grizzly wheels (on Ebay - still waiting...) so I can mount the 589's on the Grizz rims and keep the originals for trail riding. I am curious to see the difference in power and handling with the 589's - and the increase in plowing ability at the cabin way up north...

I also still intend to modify my sway bar - not just sure how yet...

Old 12-29-2001, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

Trailraker~

Not a problem. Thanks for the compliment on the web site...it's a start [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I look forward to your results.

Silverhorse~

That's interesting. You and Trailraker have both experienced what I would call excessive body roll while on the stock rims & tires, while I really haven't. I do notice I have a little, but nothing like what you two are describing. I took my sway bar off at the same time I put my after market rims & tires on. When you do the same let me know if you still feel the body roll is bad.

I also noticed that the offset on the Kodiaks rims were quite a bitter different than the Grizz's stock rims. This weekend I'm going to pull my ITP's and Claws off the Grizz and try them on the Kodiak to see how they fit.

SilverBear

Old 01-07-2002, 10:46 AM
Trailblazer

UPDATE:

I went to my dealer to p/u my Grizz from the 20 hr. tune-up. I also inquired about the "special" wrench to adjust my preload.... Was told that I can't buy the wrench. Then it was clarified that if I wanted to buy it, I would have to pay $200 and get it as part of a kit... How's that for good service?

What a frigging joke. This could just be dealer related and have nothing to do with Yamaha- my dealer sucks. Obviously, if I really want one I will go else where.

Anyway, I ended up using a regular wrench to adjust my preloads (Silver Bear~ this can be done without scuffing the shock, incase you get impatient waiting for your wrench to come in). I went all the way up in the back and 2nd from the top on the front and it made a big difference- Night and Day.

Without the sway bar, it's a good compromise- a little lean in the turns, but not enough to scare, plus I keep the articulation.

Thumbs up on this set-up, even with stock tires and rims.

~Silverhorse- how did you make out with the new tires? What's your set-up now and are you using your sway bar?

Old 01-07-2002, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

Trailraker~

Thank you for the great information! I am still waiting, and will look at your suggestion. I've also heard that you can get one of those wrenches that fit the Grizz from Dennis Kirk for around $10.00. I can't verify that, but that's what I've been told.

Did you loose any articulation stiffining up the preloads to the very top on the rear?

SilverBear

Old 01-07-2002, 11:45 AM
Trailblazer

No problem Silver Bear. The only advice I would give when you do it (with or without the suspension wrench) is raise the machine so there's no weight on the tires, it makes it easy. With a standard lock wrench, it's duck soup- easier than I thought, no stripping at all.

As far as loosing articulation by stiffening the preloads: Theoretically, I'm guessing that I have lost some. However, I think it's a good compromise. I have more than the couple on inches of articulation that the sway bar provides and the body lean is minimal.

The ride is still very good, not rough at all. I was prepared to lower the pressure in my tires to help absorb the small bumps, but it's not even needed.

With your set up, you probably don't even have to adjust yours as far as I did. I'm curious (and I'm sure you are/will be) to know Andy Bassham's preload settings are and his thoughts....

Old 01-07-2002, 03:51 PM
Trailblazer

>I went to my dealer to p/u my Grizz from the 20 hr. tune-up. I also inquired about >the "special" wrench to adjust my preload.... Was told that I can't buy the wrench. Then it >was clarified that if I wanted to buy it, I would have to pay $200 and get it as part of a >kit... How's that for good service?

>What a frigging joke. This could just be dealer related and have nothing to do with Yamaha- >my dealer sucks. Obviously, if I really want one I will go else where.

TrailRaker -

Sounds like your dealer was just not in the mood to help you. I went into mine and asked for one. The guy reached behind him and pulled one off a huge stack on a shelf behind the counter. I think it cost me $8.

Shawn

Old 01-07-2002, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

If it's true that the Polaris and Yamaha preload adjustment can be done with the same tool, then you could try what I use. I have a bicycle tool for holding the bottom-bracket (where the pedal crank bearings are)while tightening up the nut. This tool works perfectly for my preload adjustment and should be readily available at any store that sells bike tools. Or go borrow one from your cycling buddies.

Quick Reply: GRIZZ SWAY BAR