Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after looking at Raptor720's link, all I can conclude is that a complete Big Gun system does not fair very well against an HMF slip-on. I have seen many other dyno sheets that show a stock Raptor with a complete system(such as CT & Trinity) that are much closer to 50HP. I don't think that putting on a complete system on a stock engine will cost you power. The only side effect is that it will move your power scale up the R.P.M. band.

Old 12-19-2001, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

Hey 720, what's up. Just thought that I would pass along some interesting information out of the new ATV Action mag. They did a test in the new mag with dyno runs before and after. The stock Raptor recorded 34.8hp right around the 6000rpm mark. They then added K&N/Jets/and CT Racing "Full Pipe". The top-end was 49.2hp@7000rpm's, which was a gain of 14.4hp peak. It was also interesting that the "Full Pipe" produced atleast 5hp more over the entire graph starting at 3000rpm's. The testing was conducted at CT but seemed to be run by the Magazine editors. Here is the exact article, since its short I can type it. Let me know your thoughts.

Title: How Restricted is the Raptor?

"Every four-stroke motor tuner in the business will tell you how restricted the Raptor motor is in stock trim. We took our test unit and headed to CT to do a little dyno testing of our own. In stock configuration, the Raptor put out 34.8 hp around the 6000 rpm mark. To see how many more ponies we could coax from the machine, we added a K&N filter, rejetted the carbs, and added a complete CT high-flow exhaust system. The results were impressive. On the dyno, the "piped" machine topped out at 49.2hp at 7000rpm-that's a whopping 14.4hp gain! We were amazed, to say the least. Stay tuned to the pages of ATV Action to see just how much more horsepower we can get from our 660R!"

Old 12-19-2001, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

This is what is so misleading to the public!!! You have people like ATV Action now following the guise of CT and their pipe hype.

Sure, I agree that a fully corked up Raptor is sad at best but who cares?

What all of these full exhaust guys don't tell or show you is the true test. That is, a stock head pipe with a tip vs. a full exhaust on a stock or near stock machine with equal time spent on each to achieve good jetting. AFTER ALL, don't we all know that stock is no good??? ALSO, who cares what the full system produces compared to stock. WHAT WE WANT TO KNOW IS IF WE ARE GETTING SCREWED INTO BUYING A POWER STEALING OVER PRICED FULL SYSTEM OR CAN WE DO BETTER WITH A TIP????

Get Alan at CT to run an accurate honest test. His "full" system properly jetted vs. a properly jetted stock head pipe and HMF or GYTR tip. What you will see is way more torque in the "correct" powerband from the tip only. The full system will usually provide slightly higher peak hp but how often are you running at 7-9k rpm and for how long?? HERE is some additional food for thought ---- GYTR now offers a headpipe for their GYTR tip!!! They moved the collector back where it should be and kept the small diameter primary tubes. This is currently the only pipe on the market that I have seen that has actually got it correct!!!!

The dyno chart I just posted the link (above) clearly shows that a full system has major problems. Namely, too large of primary tubes.

Now for the article by the MAG, how is it that they "tested" at "CT" with a "CT" pipe??? I bet $$ that they got the pipe for free at the end of the day. Too bad it will make that Raptor slower than a tip only Raptor.

Old 12-19-2001, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

I just dont buy the big gun system is junk, if you call them they are quick to help, the ceramic coating on the system is top of the line. the system is basically straight-through or unrestricted, now the headpipe on a stock system benefits from a mild restriction which accelerates exhaust velocity. I want to see the specs on the same system using different pipes with all conditions remaining the same no vendors or people with axes to grind involved, still waiting for that to happen. my big gun system gave my raptor a real wake-up call©

Old 12-19-2001, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

I hear you 720. So you like the collector further toward the muffler, how about no collector like the DMC? It will be interesting to see the new Dirt Wheels, has anybody gotten there new copy yet?

Old 12-19-2001, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

Vraptor,

Looks like Big Gun got you with their BS. Sure anything is a "wake up" call over stock. But your full system produces less documented torque than a simple $200 tip. Sorry they got you for $500 for a slower full system. It will work better when you upgrade to a very large cam and carbs though. Till then, enjoy.

Old 12-19-2001, 08:17 PM
Trailblazer

Well I have a full FMF system. I have a friend who has the stock header and the white brothers e series. We were riding the other day and decided to race. Every time we raced i beat him by a bike or two. I will admit he is about 25 lbs more than me, but with what u say we should be about even no? All I'm sayin is when I put my system on it was like night and day....

Old 12-19-2001, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

yeah, I have no doubt in my mind that a DMC Alien has to be bad @ss, what do you think about the no collector on it? dual seems better.

Old 12-19-2001, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

On the FMF, I really don't like the disc system. At 12 discs, it is about as near to stock as one could get. At 16-18 it is getting better. What did the "guy" have?

ON the DMC with dual pipes, that is like the Trinity full system in polished stainless steel. Again, air speed is the issue with a big head pipe. I know Trinity is aware of the issue and is researching other pipe designs in addition to their dual pipe system.

Old 12-19-2001, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer

discs???????? I dont know what u are talking about..my Raptor is jetted 150/155 with FMF powercore IV. My buddys Raptor not sure about jetting but he has the E series slip on from White Bros.

Quick Reply: Raptor performance