Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Just bought a banshee.... need help with jetting

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2001, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2000 banshee in almost brand new condition.

it has boyesen reed valves and a a k&n air filter

The guy that had it told me it was jetted at 220

Here in Canada the wheater is around 10-20 degrees fareneight

the quad runs real good no problem with it....

THE THING IS....

I`m going back to Georgia in a week..... 50-70 degrees.......

How good will the quad run in that weather ??????

A couiple of guys told me that if I get pipes and put them on over there the bike will run good...

i wanted pipes anywayz so I ordered a set of FMF fatty`s........

AM I SET ????

Also what are good mods for a bansee.... It`s my first one so i dont have any experience with them...

Old 12-23-2001, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

First of all 220 mains at 10-20 degrees and the mods you have right now,you are lean you should be running 240-260 mains but since you are going back to georgia and warmer weather your current jetting should be ok,i would still do a plug test though.Now if your getting pipes for your Shee you will need to rejet,with Fatties and some 50-70 degrees weather you should be running 270-300 main jets,you must always run some plug checks everytime you mod your Banshee to be sure you arent running lean.

Old 12-24-2001, 09:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Congrats on your purchase, your gonna have a blast on the bad boy... Anyhow, the next thing I would do is get a Pro design Pro FLow w/either a K&N or a good foam filter (I prefer K&N, not as messy) to correct the stock air filter setup... for 90.00, you have peice of mind that your filter is where it should be (my foam ripped after 2 days and when I was installing my pipes, I had sand in the carbs, didnt ride again till I got the Pro flow). Ive seen a dyno chart showing a 4 horspower gain from the Pro flow and K&N (see below, blue line). Its worth the money...

http://www.mobiledyno.com/sys-tmpl/d...&UID=10009

RoostkIng...

Old 12-25-2001, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

I dont plan on putting the pipes on before getting to georgia...... Are you shure that pple jet their shees at 270 with pipes for 50-70 weather... everybody in Canada that I know jet their shees at 220 with pipes during summertime and switch to 240 in the wintertime...... ????? right noww my banshee runs real good at 220 no problem at all....

I already have a k&n filter with a clamp to make shure it stays there......

BTW: If I have to rejet I think I`m gonna go with a single carb mod.... besides being easier to rejet will that make any improvement in HP ?????

Old 12-25-2001, 02:54 PM

220 main jets with pipes?...This is way too lean,their top ends wont last too long beleive me.Just to give you an idea my Shee came with 220 mains when i bought it brand new.The 2-1 set up will help your low/mid torque but you will lose a little bit on top end not much though if you trail ride alot it is a very good set up.You must know that to run the 2-1 set up you will need to buy a new carb and a new intake manifold,it will cost you a few hundreds $$$.Ask your friends to run a plug test and take a look at their plugs you will see a nice greyish color,sing of a lean condition.

Old 12-25-2001, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

I tough banshees were jetted at 200 from the factory ??????? Cuz the guy I bought my banshee from gave me the stock jets and he said that they were 200 ?????

Old 12-26-2001, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

jfboy,

220 is about right for what you have now and will probably be about right in GA also assuming that both places are around the same altitude. An extra 40 or 50 degrees in temperature will make it run a little richer but that's OK because nobody ever blew an engine from being a little too rich.

Also, if you put pipes on it expect to run around 280 to 300 jets at sea level depending on temperature. Anybody that is running 220 with pipes is killing their engine quickly.

Old 12-27-2001, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

thank you all for the info.........

How will I know how to jet if I go with a single carb mod ????????? what brand should I look at ????

Old 01-02-2002, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

I got back to Georgia 3 days ago. I put the pipes on, went for a ride, pulled the plugs and they had a nice brown to them. I went on 4 rides and my plugs are fine.... Does that mean I am set ????

Only one thing I noticed on my banshee... sometimes when I dragrace... when I shift and get back on the throttle the bike motor hesitates for half a second then the power comes back on ??????

Old 01-03-2002, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

I live in Canda, And with a similar setup (no pipes) I have to run 290 mains, Other machines with pipes usually have around 310's. Plug chops are highly inacurate based on the fact that most of the time you are only checking one jet, ie. most people check only at full-throttle (mains) which may appear ok, when really your needle jet is wrong and your mains are compensating, or vice versa. Another thing is fuel/oil mix, if you are running a different mix ratio than the previous owner, chances are you will need to rejet. Basically I am saying is to not rely on your plug chops and jet by what the motor wants.For example, If your engine is bogging in mid-range (3rd gear and up, 1/2+ throttle to wide open) but runs awsome once it gets to full throttle, Chances are you are running rich on your needle, and lean on your mains. In which case I would either invest in new needles (stock ones are garbage, get some after-market ones) or raise [lean] the needle clip a notch, then put larger [richen] mains in (I cant even make a suggestion as to size, Ive never been to georgia, dunno what its like there!).

Quick Reply: Just bought a banshee.... need help with jetting