Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

It must be true, I read it in 4 Wheel Action...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ARG... Is it just me or after 4 wheel action printed that they squeezed an extra 14 hp out of a Raptor with I/E everybody now goes around saying the Raptor is a jetting adjustment away from turning water in to wine... Before that was printed I remember that the Raptor was the joke of the week... Funny how kids come on here talkin like they ran the frickin dyno and like whatever the mags say has to be true... The mags are their only source of information about quad performance and they pick fights with REAL quadders that actually RACE and know what they're talking about... I'm not saying this is any of you, I just noticed this lately...

Old 12-26-2001, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider

Here we go again. I don't know how much power my Pro Circuit equipped Raptor puts out, but after this weekend at the sand drags, it's enough. The Raptor get's tremendous gains just from opening up the airbox and rejetting. After looking at the stock airbox, I think Yamaha deliberately choked up the Raptor to slow it down. Damn lawyers! The stock Raptors I raced were no competition. In a hundred yard sand drag, I was ahead by about 4 quad lengths and pulling away fast. And for the record, I haven't had a single problem with my 01 Raptor since I got it.

Old 12-26-2001, 02:59 PM
Trailblazer

So does taking the air box off make THAT much of a difference? Someone go into detail please. I have the GYT-R Carbon Fiber pipe and its great, I need more power, what do I need to do?

Thanks In Advance
2fast

Old 12-26-2001, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe Raptor720 has some dyno results that will scientifically clarify my point below...

My seat of the pants testing makes me believe that a stock Raptor with the airbox lid removed and rejetted with a Dynojet kit will outperform a stock Raptor with just the GYTR tip added. I think you get more of a performance gain from opening up the airbox side of the bike versus the exhaust side. In other words in stock form, I think the intake is more restricted than the exhaust side.

I put the GYTR tip on and ran for one day before removing the airbox lid and rejetting. It ran better with the GYTR tip but not by leaps and bounds. Modifying the airbox setup and rejetting is what really woke the beast up.

Based on these results with the Raptor, I only modded the airbox and rejetted on the 400ex. The 400ex hangs pretty well with most other 400exs that have a full pipe except in straight drag situations.

/NotuRaptor

Old 12-26-2001, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

2fast,

Remove the lid completely. Order and install a Pro Design Filter Flange and either a Foam or Cotton filter. Next re-jet your machine. I think you could probably use 160-165 depending on your elevation, and to a lesser extent the temperature.

My friend has this exact setup, and his machine rocks. He had just the Carbon tip, and didn't open up the lid and filter, and the thing was a little better than stock. After the intake modifications, it rips.

The difference is shocking. Try it out.

BTW: post your elevation, and perhaps someone here has the same setup. I will try to find out the exact jetting my friend uses. We are in Toronto, Ontario, and it will be between 0C and -30C here for the next couple of months.

Old 12-26-2001, 08:11 PM
Range Rover

Any of this apply to the Grizzly 660? I dunno if I'd want to have the airbox off all of the time, though.

-Jared

Old 12-26-2001, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

I have a Dynojet kit and a ProDesign/K&N setup with the stock pipe, and it's way better than stock. February 2002 Dirt Wheels, page 83 (the Raptor pipe test article) "The hottest performance tip for the Raptor includes modifying the airbox lid along with bolting on an accessory exhaust system." I can't vouch for the exhaust (yet), but they are right on about the intake being restricted.

Old 12-27-2001, 02:32 AM
Trailblazer

Cool! I am going to go look at the foam filter kits, does it matter which one I get? Or should I get the K&N filter kit? I want to go get it tomorrow so help guys and thanks again.

2fast

Old 12-27-2001, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

1986suzukiquadracer. have you ever rode a stock Raptor? if you have. did you get a chance to look at the air box or more importantly the snorkle. actually never mind. try this. take a rag and shove it down your snorkle and rejet your carb to accomodate.

i don't own a dyno. but i'm thinking your quad isn't running so fast. Now take the rag out and rejet. Hey the powers back. Welcome to our world. Yamaha has essentialy done what i just reviewed with you to the Raptor. Choking off the horses to make the 660 managable and avoid expensive lawsuits.

Old 12-27-2001, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

yeah, I know, I'm not really ragging the machines, I'm ragging how people who don't own them speak as if all other quads are crap compared to the Raptor, and if a machine like the Cannondale Cannibal are better, then just loosen up the exhaust flow and change the air filter and then the Raptor can beat any quad or dirtbike ever produced in all aspects......