Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Dirt Wheels Raptor pipe shootout

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 11:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Chet! Do you recall if the E-series was tested with the lid on or off? I assume this was the slip on only? Thanks again.

Old 12-28-2001, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

I wish they would have checked slip ons also. The reason for this is when i had my 01 Raptor i had at the end a yoshi full exhaust on and had it dynoed at 49.4hp with pro flow and no lid. With my 02 Raptor i am running only a slip yosh and pro flow no lid and getting 48.6hp out of my Raptor. I was curious if everyone else is finding that the full system isnt worth the extra $200. Granted some systems arent available in slip on but to me i think they can keep there head pipes. Especialy when in the article it shows that they are all running the stock size diameter headpipe tubing. I personally dont see the advantage. Maybe im wrong. You guys let me know what you think.

Old 12-28-2001, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

White e.series: sa type[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]isc jetting: 142/146 airbox mods: Trim snorkle

The lid was on and no they were all full systems.

Mtecate4g: i would take it a step further and say alot of these (expensive) mufflers may not be worth it. the horses are coming from the breathing(airbox mods) and the jetting.

anyone of these setups will do with the proper mods to the airbox and jetting.

Old 12-28-2001, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

does anyone have any specific airboxmods that will keep "splashed" water. out. oh yeah, yoshi rules!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-28-2001, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer

I have the White Brothers complete exhaust system. Does using the quite core reduce horsepower and also if you take it in and out would you have to rejet for each?

BoOgIeMaN

Old 12-29-2001, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider

Velociraptor,

I think it is the Sparks and the CT pipe which are related. I spoke to Alan when I bought mine, and he said that Sparks had his choice of the pipes which CT didn't go with. The agreement Alan had with the pipe builder was that Alan had his choice, and no one else could have it. But the rest of the attempts, the pipe builder could re-sell the design.

I am pretty sure it isn't Gradon, because their setup is totally different. I love Graydon's adonized aluminum. Trick.....

RM

Old 01-06-2002, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

Since there are two threads talking about the Raptor Pipe shoot out, I could not leave this post alone without adding my two cents. Ah, the "fair" Dirt Wheels is at it again. Lets see, no author name for the article, all dyno runs done at CT by Alan, CT's pipe shows the highest gains.
I thought that a test should be independent and take every step to insure that the results are fair and accurate. I guess Dirt Wheels has alot to learn.

Anyway, here are some of my thoughts about the shoot out that you should consider before stepping in line to buy a particular pipe like a bunch of sheep going to slaughter:

1. The CT and Graydon pipes are identical but the power curve is substantially different eventhough CT and Graydon were the only pipes that were run with the air box lid completely removed (are they going to pay for the blown motors that injest water and mud with the K&N filter???). It also appears that CT was the only pipe tested that also used a free flowing K&N air filter. GEE, what would happen with the other pipes using no air box lid or a different air filter??? How many people actually run with no air box lid??? A fair test should have keep the air box the same. On the issue of a removed lid, yes it will make more power (provided that you install the correct larger jets) and no there is not a turbulance problem. The air is columized once it enters the air filter not before. Even if the manufacturers recommend no lid, a real test of the true potential power of a pipe, you know, a FAIR and INDEPENDENT test, should have been with the lid on or all with the lid off.
2. If DW posted the torque curves, you could use a calculator and determine if the dyno was spiked.
3. Why was the dyno's calibration checked after each run?? What changed in the 10 minutes between pipes? What were the barometer readings??
4. How do they account for the spikes in the Trinity and Graydon pipe runs?? On a 4 stroke, I believe you only get those spikes from wheel spin or a cold motor. Was Alan over tightening and under tightening some atv's against the dyno drum to accidently "adjust" the hp ratings??
5. I believe that CT's dyno does not even have the ability to check fuel/air so we don't know if the jetting was "good" for each pipe. Sure, they followed the specs from each company -- but it would have been nice to show if the jetting was accurate.
6. Dirt Wheels (or was it CT) failed to look at the Trinity full page ad in their own mag (page 59) where they would have learned that the head pipe is polished stainless steel NOT chrome. In fact, the Trinity pipe is the only all stainless steel pipe that is polished.
7. You can easily see that some of the pipes fell flat on top because of the air box configuration (lid on or snorkel mods only) those pipes would have done pretty good with no lid!
8. With the current test and the power of the printed word, CT will probably make 25K off "his" article. I smell a rat. Isn't it about time DW starts to act independent of their buddies??
9. Playing with the calculator to back in some torque curves, consider that the CT Sonic allegedly makes 36.5 pounds of torque at 7000rpm. Now consider that the Trinity pipe makes (according to ALAN) 36 pounds of torque at 6800rpm. Gee, sounds like the Trinity pipe, even with the BS test, makes torque faster than the Sonic. That is very important to consider.
10. Get DW to also test the stock head pipe with a tip only and also test the full stock system with no baffle. I have seen 48 hp with the full stock system with no baffle. Save some $$ and just get a tip or remove your baffle. Dirt Wheels should be ashamed.

Old 01-06-2002, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

HMF has a full system and a Quiet Core. They have published DYNO results on their website from the beginning. They even advertise in Dirtwheels, but were excluded from the test. Fit and finish are excellent and the price is right.
....... We got the Raptor Quiet Core slip-on with spark arrestor for Christmas and it is MARVELOUS!! Big power boost, almost as quiet as stock, with stock air cleaner it didn't need to be rejetted, (it was running a little rich). Down the road we will do some airbox mods, but at this stage we are very happy with the new cajones produced solely by this high quality, surprisingly quiet muffler.
.......It would have been nice to test the FMF quiet pipe too. There are a lot of us that want better performance without excessive noise. I have a slip-on quiet core with spark arrestor ordered for my DS. It should be here this week and I will post results on the Bomb forum.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2002, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

As I remember, the HMF was excluded because they did not offer a spark arrestor at the time of the review. A spark arrestor is required to ride on most public lands, so I applaud DW for making this required. Don't need a review of pipes no one can use off of the race coarse.

What I did miss from the article was data for 'Quiet' pipes. Not one of the pipes reviewed meets the 99dB Oregon Law requirement.

Old 01-06-2002, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

How do the Oregon regs require that the db level be tested?? Is it 30 feet away at a certain engine rpm??

I don't believe that DW ever told us exactly how they tested the sound levels!

Quick Reply: Dirt Wheels Raptor pipe shootout