Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak 4x4 vs. Polaris sp500 H.O.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2001, 05:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you guys rate/compare/contrast Yamaha's Kodiak 4x4 vs. the Polaris Sportsman 500 HO???

Old 12-30-2001, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

The kodiak is a more sporty machine. It weighs almost 150 lbs less than the 500. so whatever you gain in the extra cc you lose in the weight. (much the same as in the grizz and the sp 700). One thing that i do not like about the 500 ho is that there is no front protection. look at the front, and think about where you whould hit a tree. They did manage to put a thin hollow tube aroung the bottom of the radiator though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]. but then you just rely on the rack to stop you... wait... it is all plastic. so now that you have ruined the rack, radiator, and maybe the headlights now you get to the really expensive stuff. cv joints, drive shafts, and the fron drive train. Now you are talkin some major $$$. although yo ucould spend another $500 to get what come standard on the kodiak. My buddy has a 2001 remington and has been having lots of problems with it lately. as you can see, you can tell who gets my vote.

Old 12-30-2001, 03:10 AM
Pro Rider

Actually, you must not know enough about the sportsman to be posting. The Sportsman does have a bumper, what do you call the thing with Polaris imprinted on it, and it is all metal, except the plastic covering on it to protect it from the elements, but it is metal.
Now, the racks are also metal, but they also have plastic covering them, I have heard of some people taking the plastic off, but this would make the rack scratch and rust easier, with the plastic, it gives you more tie down spots, places to hold your beverages on a stop, that's just me, look better, and last longer than just steel.
So before you say they are plastic, you better research a little more.
I'm sick of people just pulling stuff out of the air about polaris.
I'm not brand loyal, but I don't like the way people trash them, they make very good four wheelers and I have never had a problem with mine, nor has anyone I know, most of us have owned one from every brand, and went back to polaris.
By no means am I saying that you were trashing Polaris Lsnack68, but I was making a point.
Oh, and I have yet to tear the front of the quad up, I run over trees, brush, push quads, cars, anything you can think of, no problem, and the h.o. and easily be used as a sporty, not full sport, machine, I love it for trail riding, tones of power on tap. Sure the kodiak handles better, of course, it's a 400 class quad, but i would pick the h.o.over the kodiak.
Remember, that is my opinion, and does not reflect anyone else's on the forum, although there are more that feel this way.

Old 12-30-2001, 01:58 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have riden with a guy who has a Kodiak and it will barely out do my old 425 Magnum4x4 let alone a 500ho.You just cant beat true 4x4!

Old 12-30-2001, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

IceWolf~

I would say that it depends on what you're looking for. I, personally, like Yamaha's quality and sportiness over Polaris's unreliability, "true 4X4 if and when the rear tires slip enough, irregardless of what you want", rear wheel only EBS (that's a good time going down a steep hill in winter). The only complaint I would have on the Kodiak is the limited slip 4X4, which can only be changed to real 4X4 with an after market locker. I think the 500HO would have more power...it is 20% bigger, and the SP has IRS (one of my preferences), whereas the Kodiak has a solid axle swingarm suspension. I personally prefer IRS over solid axles, but some people, for very good reasons, do not.

Oh, my wife owns a 2002 Kodiak 400 4X4, and she's very pleased with it so far.

Polarisman3210~

After reading your reply post I suppose I need to quantify my above statement. I really don't need to "know" anything to have and post an opinion. That's what it is, an opinion. Forums are not only for fact finding, but for opinions as well. If somebody is blowing smoke about a particular quad or brand, the majority of people know it. For example, in another thread a polaris owner was stating that the 500HO spanks a grizz 660. A SP700 doesn't spank a Grizz 660. Did Yamaha and the Grizz660 get a black eye or look bad because of that posters opinion or did that poster look like an idiot? Personally, I do know enough about polaris and sportman's in general to be posting my opinions and comments under your inferred guidlines. My family owns them, I ride them, and I ride with them. 335SP up to the 700SP. My comments are from real world experiences, not manufacture's line cards.

While I'm at it, I may as well get it off my chest. No QUAD is perfect. No manufacture is perfect. Most of the likes & dislikes come from personal preference! There is nothing wrong with being brand loyal, but I, too, get sick of owners defending a problem to the end. And to be brutally honest, it always seems to be Polaris owners more often than not. It's ludricus to the point of some of the polaris posters I've read could have a polaris quad die while they're riding it, and they would excuse it as "the sportsman needed a nap", or "when you build machines as heavy duty as polaris, you need to let them rest every now and then" or some other truly lame excuse. When I have a problem with my Grizzly, I dont EXCUSE it, I demand it be fixed and give other Yammy owners a heads up.

Come on people. I own Yamaha's, and I do not cut them slack when & where I see problems. If everyone could be a little more honest and less defensive about "their brand", I think the quality of these forums would improve tremendously.

Ok...got it off my chest, I'm putting the soapbox back in the closet.

Have a great 2002 Everyone!

SilverBear

Old 12-30-2001, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

"The kodiak is a more sporty machine. It weighs almost 150 lbs less than the 500. so whatever you gain in the extra cc you lose in the weight. (much the same as in the grizz and the sp 700)."

It's clear you haven't tried a 500HO, yes it's 150lbs more then the Kodiak, but it will still smoke it. Also the Grizz and sp700 are neck and neck in power. This just shows how much power the Polaris quads have, they weigh alot more but still have the power to keep up with the lighter ones.

Now as far as comparing the Kodiak with the 500HO, I don't think there in the same catorgory, even tho there isn't much of a price differance between the two. I've seen 02 500HO going for $6200-$6400, thats cheap for what you are getting. So for that price I would get the HO.

Old 12-30-2001, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

Let me clarify what I said since you didn't get it. I said that it was MY opinion, I didn't not say that it was YOUR opinion, but mine alone, although I do see where there are people are agreeing with me. Now, we all have different experiances with different quads, my experience with Polaris has been better than those of quads like yamaha and honda. Now I was also claifying that there is plenty of front end protection, and I have never heard of anyone complaining about there not being enough, but if there isn't, go get a $200 double tube front bumper.
And there are some on here that like to stretch or just plain lie about things, such as the h.o. vs. the 660. That is just plain dumb, there is a 160cc difference between them and they want to say that it will spank it, no way.
GE4x4,
I have been trying to get across the point that polaris must be doin something right with their motors to be able to keep up with 100-150lbs more. I have always thought that Polaris has made quads with lots of power, lets throw the 700 motor in a grizzly.
But I also like the idea of "beefing up" components on a quad, I abuse my quad to no end and need something that is goin to take it.
The first time I took my friend's big bear out, I tore the plastic all up,and screwed something up in the steering, and bent the bumper in to the tire. It never did have the strength that my magnum does.

Old 12-30-2001, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

GE4X4~

How are you doing? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

<< Also the Grizz and sp700 are neck and neck in power. This just shows how much power the Polaris quads have, they weigh alot more but still have the power to keep up with the lighter ones. >>

You're right, the SP700 &amp; Grizz 660 are neck and neck in power. The SP700 is 140 pounds heavier stock than the Grizz 660, but the SP700 is a Twin cylinder, and 23cc's bigger. I guess I just draw a different conclusion on that comparison. As for the Kodiak and 500HO, they really aren't in the same class. For my tastes and riding habits, I'd take the 500HO over a Kodiak too. But if I were to compare the 500HO to other machines actually in it's class.....honestly, I think I'd take the Arctic Cat 500I. I'm sure it's slower than the HO, and it's cerntaily not as fancy, but nobody can touch the suspension travel/articulation on that 500I Cat. What an awesome rock climber that must be. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Have a great new year!

SilverBear

Old 12-30-2001, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

Let me clarify what I said since you didn't get it. I said that it was MY opinion, I didn't not say that it was YOUR opinion, but mine alone, although I do see where there are people are agreeing with me. Now, we all have different experiances with different quads, my experience with Polaris has been better than those of quads like yamaha and honda. Now I was also claifying that there is plenty of front end protection, and I have never heard of anyone complaining about there not being enough, but if there isn't, go get a $200 double tube front bumper.
And there are some on here that like to stretch or just plain lie about things, such as the h.o. vs. the 660. That is just plain dumb, there is a 160cc difference between them and they want to say that it will spank it, no way.
GE4x4,
I have been trying to get across the point that polaris must be doin something right with their motors to be able to keep up with 100-150lbs more. I have always thought that Polaris has made quads with lots of power, lets throw the 700 motor in a grizzly.
But I also like the idea of &quot;beefing up&quot; components on a quad, I abuse my quad to no end and need something that is goin to take it.
The first time I took my friend's big bear out, I tore the plastic all up,and screwed something up in the steering, and bent the bumper in to the tire. It never did have the strength that my magnum does.

Old 12-30-2001, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

Polarisman3210~

I guess you didn't &quot;get&quot; my post either. That's ok. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'm not flaming anyone, nor do I have any wish to start an argument.

Have fun on your ATV &amp; Happy New Year.

SilverBear

Quick Reply: Kodiak 4x4 vs. Polaris sp500 H.O.