Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I didn't, but it's all good.
Have a happy new year,
just be glad we can all ride.

Old 12-30-2001, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer

hey guys sorry about that post above. I let my younger brother (18) let my screen name. He thinks he knows a lot about quads, as you can see he doesn't.

Old 12-31-2001, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

Lsnake68~

Ah heck, got a lively discussion going. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

SilverBear

Old 12-31-2001, 04:49 AM
Range Rover

Why are you (original poster) asking for a comparison between these two machines?? They're so different it's kind of like comparing apples to oranges. Yamaha didn't design the Kodiak to compete with a 500HO. The Polaris 500 is an overweight pig that will outpull and outrun the Kodiak, but the Kodiak will embarass the Polaris on a tight trail due to it's light weight and tighter turning. Also, I only weigh 150lbs so I like lightweight ATVs and could care less how fast it goes. Go buy a Raptor or some 2wd sport ATV if all you care about is speed. The Kodiak is not a slow machine by any standard-just not the fastest.

As far as quality-all the new ATVs are very well built and will last years with good maintenance. BUT-in my expereince, Polaris machines tend to have the highest number of mechanical problems compared to other brands. That fact would not keep me from buying one as the problems I've seen with them have not been major.

Old 12-31-2001, 06:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hillhound, I think maybe you've misunderstood my post/question.
I'm in the market for an ATV, but not exactly sure what I want.
Therefore I'm coming to you guys to hear your views & opinions on various ATV makes and models to give me some ideas.
I'm also window shopping and test-riding as many qwuads as I can.
I know I want 4x4 and an automatic for tooling around on.
My only concern is buying a smaller cc model and then wanting a somewhat bigger model.

Old 12-31-2001, 10:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Has these folks that cut up polaris EVER think that there are more 4X4 polaris's sold than any other brand and therefore on a percentage basis should have a larger number of machines with problems? I'm really tired of the ignorance shown in these forums with regards to brands. I don't like any particular brand, however, when I voice something here it should be based on some honest data NOT what "your buddy" drives.

Clearly it boils down to how you maintain your machine. Give me ANY new quad out there and I'll turn it into an unreliable POS in a hurry. Maintenance is the key folks.

The discussion on chains and belts on polaris's is a joke. I have a 1992 350 L 4x4 with over 10000 miles on it. Second belt and second set of chains/sprockets. If I never service my clutches and never tighten or use the correct chain lube of course they would fail. How many polaris owners know how much slack to leave in a chain? How many polaris owners EVER think of taking the clutch covers off to clean out the crap and lube the clutches properly? I doubt very many. If you are not mechanically inclined you better not own a polaris as you may have to use a grease gun after every muddy ride. And lord knows not many of us know how to do that !

Whether it is a Yamaha, Kawi, Honda, or Polaris, if you aren't going to maintain it and use it for its intended purpose, it will be a piece of crap.

Old 12-31-2001, 11:15 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Well said.

Where do you find the sales figures of who sells the most, 2nd, 3rd... four wheelers. Two years ago:

1. Honda
2. Polaris
3. Kawasaki
4. Yamaha
5. Artic Cat / Suzuki.

Old 12-31-2001, 11:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have just traded in a 99 sportsman on a 02 Kodiak. Liked the ride and traction. Did not like the maintenance and handling also very heavy with accessories. Also the bumper and racks are plastic' and still are on the new ones. So far the Kodiak is great.

Old 01-01-2002, 03:08 AM
Pro Rider

1Kodiak~

Nice to see you. I just got my wife an 02 Kodiak, and she loves it. I haven't ridden it very much myself (she's pretty possesive [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]) but what little I have, it does have a nice ride, and the thing as extremely nimble on the trails.

Are you planning on putting aftermarket tires on your Kodiak? Do you know what size a person can go without a lift kit?

Happy New Year, and enjoy the Kodiak!

SilverBear