Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

A little off subject... Yamaha's R-1 powered sled...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 11:58 PM
The Facility
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The YZ250F underpowered?? Hardly. Unlike the 426F, this engine was "detuned" from Yamaha stock so that it WOULDNT terribly whip up on the 125 two strokes.

Seriously, you guys have got to ride the 250F. Four strokes from Yamaha are light years ahead of the other guys right now. Honda is catching up, but still a few years off the pace.

Have you seen the first three rounds of supercross yet this year? Counting the heatraces and main events together, the 250F's have had more holeshots than the 125s. Things are going to change and the industry is prepared for it, but the consumers are not.

KNOWSALOT

Old 01-21-2002, 01:31 AM
Range Rover

That was my point exactly about the 250 4-stroker in the 125 class. They had to double the displacement to BEAT the 125's.

But 4-strokes are the future even for snowmobiles because of emissions. But maybe in 15 to 20 years will a 4 stroker beat a 2000 model year 2-stroker of the same displacement.

Old 01-21-2002, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

Samson,

I think you are missing the point with the displacement rules. Yes, the four-strokes are allowed a higher displacement limit for a given class, BUT you must remember that for a given RPM they only have half the power strokes. Seems like a fair trade to me.

Old 01-21-2002, 02:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Knowsalot,

I agree that new YZF's are amazing - especially the 250f, but I wouldn't necessarily say they are that much if any ahead of the competition. The new KTM's are right there with them. I am not saying one is necessarily better than the other, but I do know a 520 is faster in a straight line and easier to ride.

Talking about holeshots: at Red Bud last year John Dowd got both 250 Pro holeshots on a 520 with only a Big Gun pipe. I saw the race, that thing just walked away when the gate dropped!!!

Old 01-21-2002, 06:08 PM
The Facility

You may be right on the ridability issue. I haven't rode a KTM520SX, but the KTM is NOT faster in a straight line than the Yamaha YZ426F. Despite having 9 more horsepower and weighing 15 lbs. less than the 426..,the KTM520 isn't much faster than the 250F!!

KTM 520SX---75mph
YZ 250F-----71mph
YZ 426F-----88mph

KNOWSALOT

Old 01-22-2002, 09:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Knowsalot,

First of all, what does top speed have to do with a motocross bike?????? Absolutely nothing!

A KTM 520 not much faster than a yzf250???? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Man, what are you smokin'?

I thought maybe you were for real but after reading that comment I can tell you are just talking out your ***.

Old 01-23-2002, 01:23 AM
The Facility

Hey dude. Chill for a second. It's obvious to me that you haven't ridden these bikes at all. That or YOU are the one smokin'. Besides, you just joined the forum a few weeks ago, so what do you know about waht I know or how I gather my facts??

First of all, your right, top speed doesn't play an important role in a motocross bike, but YOU were the one who said that the KTM 520 was faster than the Yamaha's in a STRAIGHT line. Maybe you should have been more speciffic and stated just how long the line is, because the 426 will smoke the 520 KTM till the sun comes up on top end and if you think the 250F won't stay with it, please e-mail me and I will give detailed directions to our store. Lots of acreage out back.
knowsalot2002@yahoo.com

Oh, and bring something good to put up. I don't waste my time for people who just talk trash about a particular model just because they have a fancy for another one.

KNOWSALOT

Old 01-23-2002, 09:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

HAHAHA - this is great. You are a very entertaining person.

First of all, as soon as you said a yzf250 will hang with the fastest motocross bike made I knew you were totally full of ****! I don't have to be on this forum very long to make that conclusion when you make statements like that. Let me guess, you work at a Yamaha dealer. lol

Not only have I ridden all those bikes (except for a yzf250) but I race against them every weekend during the season in the 250B MX class. I am impartial to either since I don't and won't own a thumper. My best riding buddy has a YZF2426 so I get to ride it quite a bit when it isn't blown up - something it did twice last year ($$$$$).

What I mean by "fast in a straight" line is the bike that makes it to the first turn first when the gate drops. Around here that bike is always a KTM 520. The guy that rides it isn't even that fast - he is back to tenth or worse after the first lap but almost every time he gets the holeshot.

I admit the YZF250 is very impressive - definitely faster than any 125 but to say it is faster than a KTM 520 is absolutely laughable. I have drag raced one YZF250 out in a beanfield when one of my neighbors bought one but he wouldn't let me ride it. I out weigh him by 90 pounds and still absolutely smoked him on my slightly modded 2000 KX250. If you think a YZF250 is THAT fast then you obviously don't race yourself.

Every dealer has a parts guy like you that knowseverything. That is why I do all my work myself.

I am done - I know better than to try and argue with a guy who calls himself KNOWSALOT!!!

Old 01-23-2002, 02:09 PM
Trailblazer

To all "experts" comparing specific bikes at specific events. These comparisons seem meaningless to me when it comes time to discuss which bike is better, faster etc. If you were comparing pure stock to pure stock with std. final drive sprockets these comparison's might have some meaning. However when was the last time any of us compared a stock Raptor, trx 250r LT 250r, 400 ex, YZF 250, YZF 426 etc. At the track where my son races (let it be said I am neither racer nor even a rider, I just redesign and build the tools of destruction) there is no such animal as a "stock" bike or quad, or if one does show up it dissapears until it comes back no longer recognizeable as the same machine.
The 250X/350X(365X & 425X modified heavily) conversions which my son rides beats 75% of the quads which race at the tracks we run, including some but not all 265r's, 330r's, 440ex's, certain Raptors, some Banshees LT250r's, and LT500r's. If from this I conclude that 250X bikes are faster than Raptors, Banshees, 250r's, and 400 ex's, then I'm ready for some serious therapy. Get my drift?
Have fun with your toys and be thankfull that you can afford to enjoy such an expensive hobby, but above all respect the efforts that your competitors are making both in their riding as well as their machines - they can teach us all.

Old 01-23-2002, 02:38 PM
Trailblazer

[typer-bro]
I COULDNT AGREE MORE. AS A TRACK OFFICIAL, I SEE YOUR POINT VERY WELL. I SEE THIS REDERICK ONCE A MONTH AND IT IS VERY AGGITATING.

IF YOU WANT TO GET RID OF DONTKNOWSQUAT, POST YOUR COMMENTS ON THE TOPIC ENTITLED "TIME TO GO". I'M TRYING TO GET ENOUGH SUPPORT TO BOOT HIM OFF, SO THAT THE MODS SEE THAT HE'S A PROBLEM.

NO,I DIDNT CHANGE MY NAME AND SIGNATURE TO START FLAMES. I DONE IT TO MAKE A MOCKERY OUT OF THE ONE I JUST REFERED TO. I WONT ACTUALLY TYPE HIS NAME. I'M TRYING TO BE POLITICALLY CORRECT HERE IN MY MISSION.

Quick Reply: A little off subject... Yamaha's R-1 powered sled...