Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

A little off subject... Yamaha's R-1 powered sled...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yamaha released it's 2003 snowmachine line a few days ago... They have some sleds powered by there R-1 engine. Supposedly this thing rips. With this they should pretty much put the hyped-up (and released WAY TOO EARLY) Redlines out of business.

Either way, I just thought that was a cool direction Yamaha is going with its sleds.

Old 01-20-2002, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

first of all redline sled are awesome! i want one. second knowsalot told us this was coming a long time ago and he was right..so all you doubters of his knowledge out there might wanna chill out. i read a review of this snowmobile and they said it was awesome. 150hp with tons of low end power

Old 01-20-2002, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

i would like to have one of those but where i live there is barley enogh snow to have fun on a quad

Old 01-20-2002, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

hey guys. on ebay last week there was a quadzilla with an r1 engine. im not joking. the quad looked amazing. it was white and blue, with a blue frame. if i find it on ebay again i will post up the address.

Old 01-20-2002, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

i wanna see!

Old 01-20-2002, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer

Just curious, Does anyone know if the "R-1" is using a rotary valve engine.(Note that is rotary valve not rotary engine) I was told by the company who designed and built the prototypes in NJ (Coates International) that they had licenced a Japanese mfg to use the design, and that we might see it on the market fairly soon. Don't know if it was to be for cars or bikes, Coates was very closed mouthed about it. These rotary heads are very clean burning, can produce outrageous power, and allow compression ratios up to 16:1 or higher (according to the manufacturer Coates - who is supposed to be working on an F1 engine with one of the teams)
P.S. a rotary valve engine has no poppet valves or rockers or camshaft(s)just two rotary spools valves for intake and exhaust. The concept has been around for at least about 65 years, maybe longer, but Coates Int'l. feels they have solved the sealing problems with their new technology(they have test times in the thousands of hours). With fewer moving parts and higher compression potential, a gain in fuel efficiency of 18% (at the same hp. output)is claimed. additionally the addition of this head system to a stock motor can dramatically improve hp.
If engines with these heads start showing up in the sport atv business it could disturb the status quo quite a bit.

Old 01-20-2002, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

wow, I just checked out the yamaha web site that sled is sweet.
I wonder if it will have reverse, I mean being a 4 stroke it gotta be pretty heavy.
The pipes coming out the rear look pretty cool as well.

Old 01-20-2002, 10:03 PM
Range Rover

Your typical 4-stroke engine, no matter how hi po it is would get serousily raped by the 2-strokes of the same displacment. Unless they allowed 800cc 4-strokes to race in the 500 class. No racer in their right mind would even consider racing that boat anchor. To see what I mean all you have to do is look at the dirt bikes. Yamahas so called hi po 250 4-stroke is so under powered that it races in the 125 2-stroke class. And their 426 races in the 250 class. Whats the matter the 400 wasn't cutting it? But Doug Henry did win outdoors with it.

Now these rotary engines are an interesting concept if you can get them to work right.

Old 01-20-2002, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer

Ref. these "rotary engines" the Coates design is not a rotary engine but a rotary valve engine - big difference. Still a four stroke design engine. Coates International is not just a little back yard inventor's garage, but a mid size corporation who have been working on this engine since the early eighties. The owner or at least the inventor (Coates is rumored to soon be trading as a public company) George Coates is reportedly a former Rolls Royce employee, who came to America to develop this concept engine. Through private investment hundreds of millions of dollars have ben spent on this project, which has developed not only gasoline engines, but diesel and multi fuel variants. One of the reported major advantages to this design is that the head can run oil free due to the materials used in the seals and bearings. This design removes a great percentage of the obnoxious toxins (which come mostly from oil leaking into the combustion chamber) found in standard 2 and four stroke emmissions which cause our current engines to have catalytic converters mounted in the exhaust systems. Supposedly the tests on these engines pass both Federal and NJ emmissions requirements without the use of a catalytic converter.
Waukasha diesel is already producing a version of this engine for use in the gas fields where they run on waste gas. Standard design diesels previously used in this application required such major overhauls in such a short period (due to sulphur and other contaminents in the waste gas) that it was not cost effective to burn this fuel in diesels. The Coates design has raised this durability to where it is now cost effective.

Old 01-20-2002, 10:52 PM
Trailblazer

To get even farther off the topic 2 stroke vs four stroke power is a thread all it's own. But at our track this year (1/7 mile) oval flat track 3 out of the five fastest regular competitors were four strokes. The fastest (ugh I hate to admit it) being a Raptor with a 725 cc kit, the next fastest was Sue Parker's 330r just finished in Nov. 2001, the third fastest was a 400ex with a 490 kit and all the etc.'s, the next four were close. A DS 650 , and a TC modified 350X/250X, a couple of 440 ex kitted 400ex's. The rest of the two strokes included a few 265r's, one other 330r, and a bunch of lesser 416 kitted 400 ex's, two LT 250r's, and two LT 500r's.

Quick Reply: A little off subject... Yamaha's R-1 powered sled...