Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor or ds 650!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 03:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 5 foot 10, 220 pounds. I would not say I ride fast on the trails, but I do like to drag race and climb steep hills. It sounds like the ds650 are holding up well. The raptor I hear alot of scarry things about it. The raptor is what I want, but I dont want the problems. I read alot of drag race junk in the mags. What bike will win in a drag? I will buy one of these bikes in the next month. Thank you.

Old 01-25-2002, 03:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Are all of the problems gone with the 2002 raptor? I know they updated a few parts but did that take care of every thing?

Old 01-25-2002, 07:50 AM
Pro Rider

Have you actually sat on them, or better yet tested ridden them(if the dealer would allow you too)? I was in Flint, MI yesterday and the dealer had two DS650 Baja's next to two 2002 Raptors. My impressions of the DS were that is was HUGE compared to the Raptor, and that it looked like the GREAT PUMPKIN (goofy orange plastic) with a bad graphics job. That said, if the Raptor wasn't out (or if I lived out west) I would certainly have a Baja, although hopefully with black plastic. Both machines have a lot going for them, but if you're going to use it mainly for trailriding, the DNR and the CCC normally only cut the trails 50" wide here in MI, and the Raptor would definetely have an easier time of it. But then the DS Baja edition comes with better stock lighting for nightime rides, and has better stock rims (it had to with all that weight). Who will win in a drag? Depends on the rider. As for "Are all the problems gone with the 2002 Raptor?", are all the problems gone with the 2002 DS? The Baja edition took care of some of the minor problems (compared to the Raptor's anyway) that the DS had. No matter what, the '02's are betterthan the '01's especially in the Raptor's case, although I've had no major problems with mine and I've had it almost a year now. I'm in the process of changing the chain rollers now because one of the bearings is shot. Sounds like you have a tough choice coming, good luck.

Old 01-25-2002, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

shizznit, I replied to your question over in the bomb forum. But I will here to.

I have both and they are both nice bikes, just a little different.

My raptor is a 2001 and the engineers that did the gear ratios on that bike should be shot. It is ok in the dirt, but in the sand it is way off. My raptor has the big gun exhaust, k&N filter and the dynojet kit.

It runs really strong. I like the light front end on it, it will wheelie with the best of them. It is a blast to ride.

The DS looks like a much bigger bike and is a bigger bike. It is also heavier. 95warrior makes good points. You can see where the weight comes from if you take some time and look over the bike.

I love my baja and I am glad I bought it. I am a dune rider mostly and the baja was built for the wide open desert and dunes and it is a better bike in that enviroment.

Your choice will need to be based on the type of riding you do. If mostly dunes and desert than the DS wins hands down, if you ride woods and mx then I would say the raptor wins that one.

As for speed, they are neck in neck, I did not race my two bikes on the sand, but have in the dirt and they are neck in neck, it really depends on rider and who gets the best start.

Also, the DS trans feels so much smoother than the raptor, but that is probably due to the direct mount shifter on the DS, compared to the linkage type on the raptor. They both have their strong points, just pick what fits your needs better.

I have not had a lick of trouble with my raptor or DS, (knocking on wood).

Bat

Old 01-25-2002, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

Interesting point you made about the direct mount shifter on the DS. ProDesign is coming out with a billet direct mount unit for the Raptor in about two weeks (at least that's what Magic Racing tells me). Sounds like a worthwhile improvement over the stock linkage system. They expect the price to be about $80.

Old 01-25-2002, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

95warrior, keep us up to date on the shifter. If they do make one and it makes the feel of the trans better, count me in. I would buy one.

My buddy has a 400ex and those shift so nice, but after he rode my DS he said he thought that it shifted smoother and had a better feel to it.

I hope that a direct mount shifter does the same thing for the raptor tranny.

Bat

Old 01-25-2002, 06:43 PM
Trailblazer

i would say test ride them both and decide which one u like best. they are both really good bikes. i havent any problem with my raptor yet. drag racing the top ends are pretty close but mid 3rd gear the ds starts pullin slowly away all the way to the top this happens every single time. this is pavement i have raced on.trail riding iwould pick the raptor.

Old 01-25-2002, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

Batouttahell,
I think my girls 400 shifts better than MY DS. My DS is good, but the 1st gear seems notchy. I asked & they said 1st being notchy was normal. No big deal really, I just think the 400 is still smoother.

Old 01-27-2002, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

They both are god quads just look at how many people have both of them. Just get which ever has the best deal!

Old 01-27-2002, 12:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Hey shizznit frist when you here plowing front end.as refered to on the ds its from people who do not have much racing experience. most all the victory's on ds have been made on out of the box bone stock ds's this bike was built to compete.and so some of its featurs are crude and i will say its not for every one but im your size and it fits good.while i will say the raptor has more creature feature that make it a tamer ride.and im not looking to start things guys but thats why you will see more raptor wife bike's all my friends wifes ride raptors and none of them ride ds's in fact i never seen a chick on a ds.again not try to start anything just pointing out a few facts.not my opinon facts!!!

and the raptor and the stock ds are close in speeds the daja ds is faster than the raptor hands down.

Quick Reply: raptor or ds 650!!